  1) Potential Candidates
        by "Jo Prichard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: corvette conversion
        by "Paschke, Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Dead start acceleration issues
        by Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by "Brian Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: cartoon
 13) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Cog Calcs (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Cog Calcs (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: List settings
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: cartoon
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) GEM won't turn off
        by "J Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Cog Calcs (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.)
Hi everyone

I've deleted the recent post regarding Kerb Weight vs Gross Vehicle Mass so I'm hoping you don't mind enlightening me one more time.

I was looking at a Honda Jazz which I think might be a good possibility because of the large (relative to the overall size of the car) boot\trunk.

Vehicle Mass (kg) 965/989
Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 1470/1490
Gross Combination Mass (kg) 2470/2490

Boot Capacity to Window (Litres) 353/845 which means that you can pack batteries in the trunk and still have space above to pack some cricket gear in etc..

Thanks in advance

Jo
A alternator is a 3 phase 60 volt normal rating.  It has a 3 phase bridge in
side it to rectified it to DC. If one side of the fields were wire directly
to ground and the regulator was remove out of the circuit, the voltage would
go to about 110 VDC at full rpm which would have to be about 3500 rpm or
greater main motor rpm.  The alternator rpm is about 8000 to 10000 rpm.
Notice the small pulley on the alternator and large pulley on the prime
mover.

You can get these DC-DC alternator conversion packages at some auto part
stores.

The regulator controls the level of output DC from about 13.5 to 16 volts
depending of what type of alternator you have.

Yes you can charge the entire main battery pack no matter what voltage is
with a HD 145 amp at 12 volts rating which can be converted to 110 vdc at
7kw which is about 60 amps.  Then you convert this with a Dynomote inverter
that is design for that alternator to 120 VAC 60 hz true sine wave which now
becomes 6kw output at 50 amps.

You have a REGEN control switch on the dash, that turns on this circuit,
which allows a Size 2 AC Magnetic Contactor to come on when you let up on
the accelerator control by use of a limit switch.  This this turns on this
AC contactor which allows this AC current flow to a on board PFC-50  50 amp
battery charger you preset at the level you want.

Also, this limit switch circuits has to shut down two safety or isolation
contactors which are between the battery pack and controller.  This is so
there is no feed back from the battery charger to the controller circuit.

If this REGEN circuit is on too long by going down a long hill, and if your
motor controller has to be pre charge again, then you controller has to be
recycle off and back on again every time the REGEN circuit comes off and the
battery contactors come back on again.

If this REGEN time is short and the controller capacitors are still charge,
than the controller does not have to be pre-charge.

I had this type of system in my original EV that had a CableForm controller
and a built in CableForm charger.  There was no pre-charger circuit, but the
main contactor and safety contactors would all drop out during this time.

I now have a Zilla and a PFC-50 charger that will accept a voltage as low as
60 volts and as high as 425 volts.  The Zilla has not built in REGEN circuit
at this time, So I am using the accessory drive REGEN where the motor auto
clutch to four accessories which drops out the accessories electric motors.

From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:15:29 -0600

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888

> 90v x 320a = 28,800 watts = 28.8 horsepower. That's
pretty anemic for accellerating a 3000 lbs car.

My similar weight, similar voltage car draws similar
peak battery current and has plenty of acceleration
if I start in 1st gear at a 11.5 overall ratio and
shift at 4000 RPM at 25 MPH and 40 MPH.  (For
efficiency I typically shift 5 MPH higher.)  But my
pack drops only to the 135V I expect during typical
short bursts, which is 44 kW in and 44 HP out, or 50%
more than Bob's.  Bob, sounds like you've got some
serious resistance lurking around somewhere.

But it's noteworthy to mention that I'm as happy with
my 44 HP EV peak as I was with my 120 HP ICE peak.  As
an EV it isn't as good on the freeway and I can't
floor it continuously as the batteries will start to
sag after a while, and I haven't taken actual
acceleration data yet, but I was thinking the
apples-to-oranges comparison ratio was closer to 1.3
than twice that.  Gotta love that wide RPM high torque
band...

My original differential provided a 9.5 overall ratio
in 1st gear, and was sluggish and would regularly
overheat the controller. The current differential
solved that, but I am now battling efficiency, looking
at a new differential that would bring my overall
ratio up to 13.0.  That clutch and transmission sure
are worth their 5% weight penalty and losses and
additional maintenance.  I also have brake calipers
from Stainless Steel Brake on order to eliminate my
chronic front disc brake drag design problem -- they
barely spin freely at the moment.  And I now run the
tires at max pressure of 35 PSI.

But these latter issues are all minor compared to the
resistance you seem to have Bob.  Good luck and let us
know what you find.

Chris
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/733

Victor,

The gps receivers only listen to the satelites to figure out where
they are, what their altitude is, and what time it is.  All of the
information about roads, speed limits, gas stations, etc are stored in
a local database that the routing software uses.  RV and off road
hiking/driving software tend to work with altitudes to predict how
steep the hike/drive is going to be.  Most car software focuses on
roads and points of interest instead.

Brian
On 5/1/07, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There are, but I don't think those which are being broadcasted
(received by Prius nav system and such) have this data - ICE cars
can'treally take advantage of it. I may be wrong though.

Victor

Brian Fox wrote:
> There are gps routing packages that include altitude in their
> database.  I have an old copy of Delorme's Topo program that will
> route and provide an altitude profile along with max gradient info.
> Routing programs that target RVs might be a good starting point
> because some RVs try to avoid steep hills.
>
> Brian

I tried searching for "contactor controller" (without the quotes) using
both Google and Dogpile, and both brought up this as the first link:

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/cntctcon.asp

Ralph

damon henry writes:

> Nice plug for dogpile Tim, but that page is about contactors.  Paul is
> looking for diagrams of multistep contactor controllers to vary the speed of
> motors.  I'm pretty confident he can already build the one speed motor
> controller described on this page :-)
>

> >From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: EV <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
> >Subject: RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
> >Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:15:29 -0600
> >

> >See...
> >
> >Now you know why I hardly ever use google.
> >
> >Try using www.dogpile.com instead.
> >
> >I doubt you'll ever go back to google....
> >
> >For example dogpile and google contactor controller.....
> >
> >dogpile returned this link
> >
> >http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsecure/html/101basics/Module19/Output/TheContactor.html
> >
> >google did not
> >
> >besides, when you send a search with dogpile it echoes google anyway.
> >
> >--
> >Stay Charged!
> >Hump
> >I-5, Blossvale NY

For forgotten technologies, books are the way forward, but Google can
still help.

http://books.google.com/books?q=drum+controller&btnG=Search+Books

For example, the 1933 tome "Experimental Electrical Engineering.."

Has sections on "study of a DC contactor type controller" and "wiring
of an experimental drum type controller".

Now, you can't access this particular book online in full, but it does
tell you which library to visit to borrow a copy, or you can even buy
a copy online from Amazon, for $20!

And there are plenty of works on there which are available in full.
So, get reading, there is 100 years of catching up to do! :)

On 5/1/07, damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nice plug for dogpile Tim, but that page is about contactors.  Paul is
looking for diagrams of multistep contactor controllers to vary the speed of
motors.  I'm pretty confident he can already build the one speed motor
controller described on this page :-)

>From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: EV <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:15:29 -0600
>

>See...
>
>Now you know why I hardly ever use google.
>
>Try using www.dogpile.com instead.
>
>I doubt you'll ever go back to google....
>
>For example dogpile and google contactor controller.....
>
>dogpile returned this link
>
>http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsecure/html/101basics/Module19/Output/TheContactor.html
>
>google did not
>
>besides, when you send a search with dogpile it echoes google anyway.
>
>--
>Stay Charged!
>Hump
>I-5, Blossvale NY

Go to the following Yahoo group:

After signing in, look at the Page1.jpeg and Page2.jpeg files, which show
3-step contactor and 3-step rectactor circuits, respectively.

--- Begin Message --- I chose to go a different way and replace the rear springs in my EV with Ford Ranger front truck springs. With the Gabriel Hi-jacker air shocks I can set my height once the batteries are in. Right now it sits a bit higher in the back than the front but I know that will change. Actually it looks pretty good...kinda like what they did in the 60's raising the back of cars up...

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>