  1) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: GEM won't turn off
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Cog Calcs (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.)
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Potential Candidates
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re:  corvette conversion
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) ADC 203-06-4001 Confusion
        by Joel Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Brake drag
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- There is more then one flavor, so there is no way to know without more details. If it is a 4 terminal motor you get to decide which way it spins.

damon

From: "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 16:04:57 -0700

What direction is an ADC 6.7 motor set up to rotate looking at the large
output shaft end?

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07
Hey Mark

That depends on which one you have.  If it's a drive
motor it can turn both directions if it's a pump motor
than it's kind of locked into one or the other.
Most cars use a CCWDE rotation except Honda's.  Anyway
not quite enough info to go on.
Hope this helps

--- "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What direction is an ADC 6.7 motor set up to rotate
> looking at the large
> output shaft end?

--- Begin Message --- Well I think I have them situated to get the most weight forward of the rear axle. Have them aligned so that the long end of sides of the batteries are perpendicular to the axle. One row of 7, three rows of 5 and the final 2 are parallel to the axle. One row of 5 is directly above the axle the the other 2 are behind the axles.

I was counting on more of the weight in the bed being transferred to the front axle than appears to be happening. I stopped in at a local Firestone and they said I could add additional leaf springs and heavy duty shocks to the rear end and drop springs to the front.

Does dropping the front and raising the rear back to ICE levels result in weight transfer from the rear to the front?

On May 1, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Miller, John wrote:

John,

I am assuming that your batteries are in the front of the bed of your
pick up which would put them in front of the rear wheels. If this is so
then your weight distribution is already partially supported by your
front wheels so keeping them on the ground should just be a matter of
finding a good front/rear suspension combination. Yes for optimal
handling you would want to more evenly distribute the batteries but you
would still be looking at beefing up the suspension. Remember your
driving a pickup truck not a formula one race car. Keeping the batteries
together in the back does have its benefits. I would suggest adding
spring and heavy duty shocks to both the front and rear and maybe a lift
kit in the back and see what you get before you give up your idea of
keeping the batteries altogether in the back. Just my $.02 worth.

John Miller

From: "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:33:21 -0700

 It is a ADC #L91-4003 6.7" 72-120VDC 13 HP Double Shaft  Motor.

That depends on which one you have.  If it's a drive motor it can turn
both directions if it's a pump motor than it's kind of locked into one
or the other.
Most cars use a CCWDE rotation except Honda's.  Anyway not quite enough
info to go on.
Hope this helps

--- "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What direction is an ADC 6.7 motor set up to rotate looking at the
> large output shaft end?

Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix rate. Check savings https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117
The Regulators are internal, but you still have the small control wire.
(Except for 70's era GM "1 wire" . )

I think I mentioned this before, The regulators have changed. my 95 GM
expects the typical voltage to determine the field voltage. (I believe
it is output to dash light to 12V  so when the voltage is low the
regulator tries and when the voltage comes up it turns off the field) it
expects 12V on that line.

When I put in the 2000 motor I used the alternator bolted to the engine,
it looked identical but I smoked the regulator in a week. It turns out
the regulator expects a 5V PWM signal from the ECM to allow soft start
of the chargeing (to keep belts from squealing) I bought the 95
regulator and just installed it inside the alternator.

http://www.transpo-usa.com/catalog.html

These guys are what most the repair shops use in my area, they sell to
general public, and their prices are good. They helped me with my
problem of what regulator would fit in the alternator for my year ECM.

I think we can fool the regulator into doing the work for us.

I've made it rotate both directions on 12V.  I'm concerned that the
brushes need adjustment for optimum performance for one direction or the
other?  I saw the cold performance chart for CCW rotation on the EV
parts website and became concerned that CCW was the preferred rotation
direction.  I'm building an electric motorcycle from scratch and have it
set up for CW rotation looking at the large dia output shaft.  me

all when it comes from the factory.  You will have to complete the
series circuit using the four terminals on the outside of the motor and
you get to determine the rotation by which way you connect the armature
to the field windings.

http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=533&product_id=11
12

damon

>From: "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: RE: ADC 6.7 motor direction from factory
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:33:21 -0700
>
>  It is a ADC #L91-4003 6.7" 72-120VDC 13 HP Double Shaft  Motor.

On 5/2/07, Jo Prichard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi everyone

I've deleted the recent post regarding Kerb Weight vs Gross Vehicle Mass so
I'm hoping you don't mind enlightening me one more time.

Kerb Weight is the weight of the car without any fluids or fuel in it.
Gross vehicle Weight is the heaviest the car can be including all
loads and passengers packed in it before the suspension and drive
train start to suffer from overloading.

I was looking at a Honda Jazz which I think might be a good possibility
because of the large (relative to the overall size of the car) boot\trunk.

Vehicle Mass (kg) 965/989
Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 1470/1490
Gross Combination Mass (kg) 2470/2490

Boot Capacity to Window (Litres) 353/845 which means that you can pack
batteries in the trunk and still have space above to pack some cricket gear
in etc..
Thats a great looking car (just looked over the PDF from Honda) and
again I am struck by the fact that we don't have ANY Honda diesels
here! And the Jazz here is called the 'Fit', by the way.

Anyhoo, it looks like a great candidate for a conversion. Its light,
roomy, and if you didn't know this I'll let you in on it.. when you
convert and remove the gas tank, generally you cut a hole in the boot
that gives you an extra 10 cm or more of space, by welding in a
battery rack that hangs down to where the bottom of the tank used to
be.

What are your goals and budget?

Hey Damon, all

--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If it is the same one that is on www.evparts.com,
> then it won't spin at all
> when it comes from the factory.  You will have to
> complete the series
> circuit using the four terminals on the outside of
> the motor and you get to
> determine the rotation by which way you connect the
> armature to the field
> windings.

What, two days at the shop and you're the motor guy
now huh?  The problem with you wannabies is you give
them just enough info to kill em, that or their motors
LMAO 8^P

First off never freespin it without a load with
anything over 12 volts, that'll get ya a close to 3K
RPM's and is good enough for the test.

Second either block the motor or hold it as it will
roll in the opposite direction of rotation when she's
fired up.

With that said, what you need to do is connect "A1" to
Batt+.  Jump "A2" to "F2" (or "S2") together.  Connect
"F1" to batt-

To reverse switch the 2 (two) "A" terminal cables with
each other.  Sorry but I can't remember which
connection is for which direction.

It's best if you can make the connection with a switch
or at least an added lead so you don't arc your studs
or batt posts.

Hope this helps.

You can easily get 60V out of a standard alternator if the regulator
goes wide open (really messes up the ECM)
Most alternators are built cheap AKA not efficient. They are 3 phase.

I think some kind of boost converter could be used to both boost the
voltage and provide some control.

The other problem besides low effiency is they are not really designed
for low rpm usage,  (thats why the pully is so small) I think a
generator head from harbor frient could provide more power at lower
rpm's and thus more regen load.

Hey Mark

If you can take a pic or two and send them to me and
I'll have a look.  Try and shoot the pics so it shows
the brushes and the pole shoe bolts (along the
housing).  Remove the cover so I can see where the
brushes are located in relation to those bolts.
Chances are you'll need to set the plate but they
should have drilled the holes already.

Cya

Steve (and All),
Are you in Colorado Springs trying to drive up to Divide? No wait, that was
Steve Richardson with a Mitsubishi pickup truck and 40 Yeller Tops like
eight years ago (I bought 16 of those batteries when he parted the beast
out)! Is this history repeating itself? Anyway, here's a suggestion based
on Peter's response. Leave the buggy partially discharged after arriving at
home, then regen down on the way to "the big city" and top-off while there
in order to get back home. Top off the batteries Friday night and discharge
again Sunday for the regen back down on Monday, blah, blah, blah. I would
not attempt a 3000 foot decent without regen or a poor man's regenerative
braking system like my alternator on the tail shaft.
Hope this helps,
Suck Amps...
50,000 plus pure eelectric miles on the buggies, and a countin',
Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
http://www.devc.info/
Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
Racing Association:
http://www.nedra.com/
Lyons, Colorado
1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of Orbs for the teenage daughter)
1989 GM (General Murderers of the pure EV!) S10 (144V of floodies, for Pa
only!)
2004 Toyota Prius (for Ma, and Pa if Ma is a supervising!)

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:47:36 -0700 (MST)
>From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>If I understand this correctly, you go Down hill when the pack is full and
>climb up hill when it's low?
>
>If that's the case, then Regen is just about useless.  Your pack will be
>full when going downhill, so you won't be able to use regen, except maybe
>a tiny bit.
>
>Regen doesn't do anything for you going up hill.
>
>So if this is the case, then I wouldn't waste any money on regen unless
>you get it in a motor/controller that you are buying for some other reason
>anyway.  I.e. get it if it's free, but don't spend money buying something
>you can't use.

>>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 3000+ foot climb in 17 miles to commute (back from) "the big city".
<snip>

John (and All),
I wouldn't try and change the front suspension, unless you are considering
drop spindles (don't heat up the coils with a torch to drop the front!). I
have four batteries located in the old radiator's location (in an angle
iron frame bolted to the truck frame), and two batteries above the motor,
also bolted to the truck frame (I would have eight under the hood, but I
kept the A/C!). I would consider four batteries under the hood as a minimum
of battery weight up in front (removal of 425 pounds of 4.3L V6 infernal
combustion minus a 150 pound 9 incher, or 275 pounds divided by 70 pound
floodies equals four...). You can also run smaller tires on the front,
assuming this is two wheel drive like mine, which will shift more weight
forward for braking. In addition to shorter tires on the front, I put
taller tires on the back to help compensate for an inaccurate POS GM
speedo. And now that my truck is always pointed down hill, it coasts so
much better! As far as all the batteries in the bed for even temperatures,
this is VERY IMPORTANT, which is why you should have poly boxes with
insulation (and/or battery heaters), one on each side of the drive shaft
with four each floodies (was this an extended cab short bed?), one behind
the rear-end with eight floodies, and eight floodies under the hood. So
you're on the least coast, and have talked to Bob Batson of EV's of America
about S10 conversions? Having all the batteries in the bed is easier, but
is it safer (and can you peel the tires off the wheels in a corner!)?
Hope this helps,
Suck Amps...
50,000 plus pure eelectric miles on the buggies, and a countin',
Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
http://www.devc.info/
Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
Racing Association:
http://www.nedra.com/
Lyons, Colorado
1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of Orbs for the teenage daughter)
1989 GM (General Murderers of the pure EV!) S10 (144V of floodies, for Pa
only!)
2004 Toyota Prius (for Ma, and Pa if Ma is a supervising!)

>From: "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:11:23 -0400

<snip>

>Based on the response from mid april, it would seem that I can fix my
>rear ride height with additional springs, but I now share Dave H's
>issue about the front end. I don't know much about autos but it
>doesn't seem that anything but additional weight in the front can fix
>that end. Are there adjustments that can be made to the suspension of
>truck to shift weight forward?
>
>I temporarily put 4 of my batteries up in the engine compartment and
>it "looks" much better. The from ride height is close to where it was
>pre conversion, but the rear is still low. Currently the weight of
>the 4 batteries is being distributed to the old engine mounts that
>are about even with the front wheels. If I put permanently put
>batteries up from thel will be forward of the front wheels so 4 may
>be the right number.
>
>I wanted to keep all the batteries in the bed because it seemed
>easier, but also so they would all be in one location to have 1
>insulated battery box for temperature consistency. (I am in Western MA)
>
>Was I being overly concerned about maintaining consistent battery
>temperatures? (I'm using Interstate flooded lead)
>
>Am I correct that if I insulate some of my batteries I need to
>insulate them all?
<snip>

I am preparing to convert a 1983 VW GTI and have a
ADC 203-06-4001 motor waiting in the wings.  The tag
on the motor says 72V/96V but can I safely use this
motor up to 144V?  I have seen this motor listed on a
number of EV supplier sites with voltage range listing
from 96V-144V.  Whats up with all of this?

Thanks

Joel
Minneapolis

Ok, after a trip to the library and some checked out books, this is what
I've come up with.

1. If you must build a contactor controller, build a drum or cam
controller. They are sturdier than the wiper kind and more reliable.
Disconnect quicker etc. I got a couple good pictures out of books and
diagrams. Unfortunatly, I have to leave a lot to imagination because
nothing is as good as seeing it first hand, or color pictures.

2. The best way to control the speed of a series motor is to Vary the
voltage. This can really only be done in the old days by using a
generator and varying the voltage produced. Needless to say I don't
think that will work :) Todays controllers accomplish the equivalent by
sending the motor pulses of current.

3. The best way, even outlined in the books, for controlling the speed
is to vary the field current. This is how they do it in a shunt motor
but I want to use a series motor. Compound motors work good like this
but I doubt I will get much choice at the forklift graveyard.

So, This information raises some questions...

How hard would it be to take a series motor, and separate the armature
and field? Like a shunt motor.

What would varying the speed using the field do to the torque
characteristics?

There seems to be no way to get around breaking the pack up into series
and parallel strings to get different voltage steps.

Here is my proposal.
A homemade cam controller. Using maybe 6 steps. The first step will be
24v straight to the series motor. Then the next step will break the
series motor into a shunt motor with a resistor to limit field current.
This will increase rpm. (Not sure how that will affect torque) Then the
next step will put the motor back in series and put the batteries in a
48v configuration. Next will be another shunt motor step with resistor.
Then 96v series and 96v shunt with resistor.
There are a lot of drawbacks to this I can see right away. I think this
would take a ton of wiring. Other than a straight rehoestat in series
with the series motor, or switching to a shunt motor, I don't know what
to do.
Sorry it's a long post.
Thanks,
Paul

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- So then, I'm stuck with the drag? Well, I am considering replacing the entire assembly to get better bearings. Maybe I can find something better with respect to calipers as well as bearings.

Sigh.

Jude

David Dymaxion wrote:
Do not add springs to brakes like that! The retraction will take one or several
pumps of the brake pedal to overcome before the brakes start working. Also, it
could make the brake reservoir overflow as the pistons retract, and then have
low fluid as the pedal is pumped.

Track racers sometimes have this problem. Usually it means they have slightly loose
wheels bearings, suspension, or brake parts. That little slack lets the piston get pushed
in a bit due to forces encountered on the track, and the brake pedal goes way low or even
to the floor. This is popularly called "pad knockback." Some racers will give
the brakes a quick pump before the turn to make sure the pads are seated against the disk
before braking for real.