  1) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) hall effect sensor
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Battery model/brand comparison chart
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Battery model/brand comparison chart
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: GEM won't turn off
        by "bortel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery model/brand comparison chart
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Pile of EV loot
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Brake drag
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Pile of EV loot
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Pile of EV loot
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Military Auction in MA, S-10 EV
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: cartoon
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Potential Candidates
        by "Jo Prichard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Battery model/brand comparison chart
 18) Puka Minibike
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Pile of EV loot
Hi Roland,

I got my trans from a local junk yard. I only got the converter eliminator from TCI. B&M did make a cable operated modulator eliminator at one time, although I don't see it on their site. Considering that most of the motors I'm looking at produce best power well below 3000 RPM, I may be OK just porting power brake vacuum to the modulator to keep the RPM down during acceleration, and then venting it to atmospheric to hold 2nd gear longer at low throttle.

I'm planning on tapping the front pump while I've got the trans apart for a rebuild. I'll probably try it without an external pump to see what happens, and then add the pump. I'm guessing that I can use a small pump just to prime the front pump and valve body passages, and then the high pressure will be able to come up fast enough when the input shaft starts to turn. If that doesn't do the job, I may look into using one pump for both power steering and trans priming. We'll see how it goes.

I'm planning on documenting the project at www.ej-7.com, although I haven't started the site either. So far I've been busy working on the chassis and cleaning up the trans. I haven't got a lot of spare time, so this is going to take a while.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 06:20:52 -0500
From: "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "EV Discussion Group--
From: "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 09:02:48 -0400

>From: "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "EV Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Suspension and weight distribution
>Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 20:52:48 -0700
>
>John (and All),
>I wouldn't try and change the front suspension, unless you are considering
>drop spindles (don't heat up the coils with a torch to drop the front!). I
>have four batteries located in the old radiator's location (in an angle
>iron frame bolted to the truck frame), and two batteries above the motor,
>also bolted to the truck frame (I would have eight under the hood, but I
>kept the A/C!). I would consider four batteries under the hood as a minimum
>of battery weight up in front (removal of 425 pounds of 4.3L V6 infernal
>combustion minus a 150 pound 9 incher, or 275 pounds divided by 70 pound
>floodies equals four...). You can also run smaller tires on the front,
>assuming this is two wheel drive like mine, which will shift more weight
>forward for braking.

I would think twice before changing to smaller diameter wheels on the front.
  The fore and aft weight shift would be very small .
And, it would make the front tires break away more easily during braking.  A
smaller diameter wheel means that, for a given brake pedal pressure ( and, a
given braking torque on the wheel) the braking force of the tire on the
pavement will be higher.

This would make any brake imbalance ( due to too little weight on the front
axle) even worse. Taller tires on the back would similarly worsen the brake
imbalance.

The best thing would be to make the weight distribution  as close as you can
to stock. Or, at the least, don't reduce the weight on the front wheels.

Phil

In addition to shorter tires on the front, I put
>taller tires on the back to help compensate for an inaccurate POS GM
>speedo. And now that my truck is always pointed down hill, it coasts so
>much better! As far as all the batteries in the bed for even temperatures,
>this is VERY IMPORTANT, which is why you should have poly boxes with
>insulation (and/or battery heaters), one on each side of the drive shaft
>with four each floodies (was this an extended cab short bed?), one behind
>the rear-end with eight floodies, and eight floodies under the hood. So
>you're on the least coast, and have talked to Bob Batson of EV's of America
>about S10 conversions? Having all the batteries in the bed is easier, but
>is it safer (and can you peel the tires off the wheels in a corner!)?
>Hope this helps,
>Suck Amps...
>50,000 plus pure eelectric miles on the buggies, and a countin',
>Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
>Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today.
http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
From: "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Pile of EV loot
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 07:11:38 -0600

Hello Peter,

The external hydraulic pump is normally use for starting out and moving at 1
rpm or a very low rpm.  Once your motor gets up to 500 rpm, then the
transmission internal pump takes over and the external pump goes off line.

Even if you stop for a red light, the pressure may be enough for you to take
off at a very low rpm.  A limit switch should be use with this pump, where
it will auto come on if you are stop for too long.

If your vehicle was a manual shift with a clutch peddle, you can use that
peddle with attach manual hydraulic piston that can pump up the pressure
before starting out.  I think one of the guys on this list use this method.