  1) Re: FW: Batteries and Other Stuff. WASRe: Battery model/brand comparison
 chart
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Suspension and weight distribution
        by "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)
        by Jerry McIntire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: [EV] Re: Pile of EV loot
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Anyone know any history on this EV on E-bay right now?
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Potential Candidates
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Suspension and weight distribution
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Very Interesting Senate Hearings - LONG
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Potential Candidates
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Very Interesting Senate Hearings - LONG
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: FW: Batteries and Other Stuff. WASRe: Battery model/brand comparison
chart
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Potential Candidates
        by "Jo Prichard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Joe Batt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) bigger siamese motor
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: bigger siamese motor
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADC motors)
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Battery model/brand comparison chart
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: List settings
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADC motors)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: [EV] All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADC
 motors)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

Written by Bob Rice

? I miss my good old "Pick an' Pull Parts emporium junk yard! They
> won't
> just let you go out and pick on stuff any more" Insurance Regulations, I
> can't let ya back there anymore!" For YEARS I have picked and pulled!Nuts!
> You will have to file an environmental Impact Statement to FART in the
> future! Do they still have pick yur own Junkyards anymore!?Anywhere?

We still have a few left here.
My favorite is even paved.  http://vincesupullit.com/

Come on over... bring a list.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

I was counting on more of the weight in the bed being transferred to the
front axle than appears to be happening. I stopped in at a local
Firestone and they said I could add additional leaf springs and heavy
duty shocks to the rear end and drop springs to the front.

"Does dropping the front and raising the rear back to ICE levels result
in weight transfer from the rear to the front?"

This is an arguable point I say to some extent yes but just minimally. I
would still suggest the heavy duty springs and shocks in the rear and
then take it somewhere to get the axles weighed.

Where you get your electricity-- maybe this isn't OT?

Anyway, we produce electricity with photovoltaic panels at home, more than enough to provide all of our electricity use, but I am not allowed to say we produce our own electricity because we sell the "green tags," or Renewable Energy Certificates. My wife works in this field. I can tell you that a very large percentage of the money you pay for green tags goes to renewable electricity generation. There is a website that details the percentages various utilities spend on administrative and marketing costs vs. actual production. If you contact me directly by email I can supply that.

We purchase our utility's green power product also, because we purchase some power when we're not producing-- and give back a lot when we are producing!

Jerry

They have them at or can be order from a hydraulic shop.  Also talk to
transmission shops for source of supply that do this type of work. Some
small electric small hydraulic pumps for linear actuators for convertible
tops and other lift equipment works too.

From:  "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subj:  RE: Suspension and weight distribution
Date:  Wed May 2, 2007 11:21 am
Size:  583 bytes
To:  "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

I was counting on more of the weight in the bed being transferred to the
front axle than appears to be happening. I stopped in at a local
Firestone and they said I could add additional leaf springs and heavy
duty shocks to the rear end and drop springs to the front.

"Does dropping the front and raising the rear back to ICE levels result
in weight transfer from the rear to the front?"

This is an arguable point I say to some extent yes but just minimally. I
would still suggest the heavy duty springs and shocks in the rear and
then take it somewhere to get the axles weighed.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- What would the drawbacks be of just having three different strings at three different voltages? The 12V string would be one big Ah battery for providing lots of starting power. The next voltage up would be smaller Ah batteries, and the next voltage up smaller Ah batteries. Use as many strings as you need. All strings would be connected at their negative terminals, and a multi-throw contactor would select which string you want, maybe even using microswitches that get pushed by the stick shift. Add in field weakening tied to the accelerator pedal for finer speed control within each string.

For charging, you could have a separate charger for each string. Or, it seems you could use a Basic Stamp or other processor to switch a single charger between each string. On a PFC-30, for example, replace the voltage pot with an electronic pot. The Stamp monitors the pack voltage, turns off the PFC-30 when the first pack reaches full, changes the electronic pot to a different voltage, switches a multi-throw contactor to a different string and starts the PFC-30 again.

What complications haven't I thought of?

Bill Dennis
Martin Klingensmith wrote:
On 4/30/07, Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I beg to differ, using 4 contactors on 24,48, 96 taps into the battery
string is about as simple as it gets.
serial/paralle switches, Copper disks and bars and sliding arrangements
sounds complicated.
Jack

The "copper bars and sliding disks" are ways of making high power
contactors. Using field weakening and starting resistors are ways to
get smoother control using more speed steps.
I'm assuming you're not saying that it would be a good idea to simply
tap into the pack and get whatever voltage you want? You would end up
killing your first two batteries while your top batteries (48-96v)
would be almost full.

Got wind of this thanks to Felix and the CalCars News Feed....

Some one may have already POSTED this, but these hearings are very interesting.
  The CEO of A123Systems, and Tesla, and others..
( wish there were MP3 Audio versions... Im a slow reader...)

http://www.finance.senate.gov/sitepages/hearing050107.htm

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

BIll-

One disadvantage would be that , since you are only drawing power from a few batteries at a time, the power you draw from each battery may be very high. It would certainly be much higher than if all the batteries were used at once. Peukert's effect - particularly with flooded batteries - might reduce your range dramatically because of the high current draw.

You may also end up with very short battery lives.

If you were using AGMs ( as opposed to floodies), this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Phil

From: Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 09:40:45 -0600

Martin Klingensmith wrote:
On 4/30/07, Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I beg to differ, using 4 contactors on 24,48, 96 taps into the battery
string is about as simple as it gets.
serial/paralle switches, Copper disks and bars and sliding arrangements
sounds complicated.
Jack

The "copper bars and sliding disks" are ways of making high power
contactors. Using field weakening and starting resistors are ways to
get smoother control using more speed steps.
I'm assuming you're not saying that it would be a good idea to simply
tap into the pack and get whatever voltage you want? You would end up
killing your first two batteries while your top batteries (48-96v)
would be almost full.

Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan for as low as $771/month* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f8&disc=y&vers=689&s=4056&p=5117
One more quick thing, if you haven't had time to go over the archive here..

You could save quite a bit of money if you can find a car that has a
blown engine and is going cheap. Maybe you can talk to local car shops
and have them keep an eye out for a small, nice car with a bad engine
for you. That is, assuming you can pay cash!

Another source of wisdom here, unlikely though it may be, is race car
guys. I don't know if you have much stock racing in SA, but those guys
are very good scroungers. They will know where to find car bodies and
parts for less money. You might even get them to help you with your
conversion if they get interested in the idea, but race car guys like
speed so they will try to convince you to go faster. :-)

There is a LOT of information in the EV archive about all of this..
you'll want to spend some time doing searches in it to learn more.

On 5/2/07, Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Got wind of this thanks to Felix and the CalCars News Feed....

Some one may have already POSTED this, but these hearings are very
interesting.
   The CEO of A123Systems, and Tesla, and others..
( wish there were MP3 Audio versions... Im a slow reader...)

http://www.finance.senate.gov/sitepages/hearing050107.htm

Thanks for that.  Very interesting.  I hope something comes of it.

Rich Rudman might want to check out page 5 and 6 of the A123 presentation!

--- Begin Message --- Thanks, Phil. That's why I suggested that the lower-voltage strings comprise higher Ah batteries. Also, the lower-voltage strings wouldn't be used for very long, just mostly during acceleration. So, they wouldn't be murdered by extended overuse. This also means that they wouldn't drop to a low SOC, so they'd charge fairly quickly.

Bill Dennis

Phil wrote:

BIll-

One disadvantage would be that , since you are only drawing power from a few batteries at a time, the power you draw from each battery may be very high. It would certainly be much higher than if all the batteries were used at once. Peukert's effect - particularly with flooded batteries - might reduce your range dramatically because of the high current draw.

You may also end up with very short battery lives.

If you were using AGMs ( as opposed to floodies), this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Phil

Hi Timothy

Oh.. you just want a NEV? (Neighborhood electric vehicle). Well,
you';ll definitely be able to stay inside budget them, and a range of
30 miles at 45 MPH is easy to do.
If you don't need to go highway speeds, you can go with smaller,
better batteries.
You could save quite a bit of money if you can find a car that has a
blown engine and is going cheap. Maybe you can talk to local car shops
and have them keep an eye out for a small, nice car with a bad engine
for you. That is, assuming you can pay cash!

I have the $17k in cash so I hopefully I can use that to my advantage. A friend of mine owns a repair\panel beating shop and I'm going to speak to him about keeping an eye\ear out for potential donors. Building it specifically as a NEV is fine but the one prerequisite is coming up with a configuration that will give me satisfactory acceleration from a standing start on a relatively steep hill.

If for instance I get the Light Vehicle Manual Transmission Kit with the following components will it be able to handle the acceleration from a standing start on a hill like a normal ICE?

Motor, Solectria AC24 with NEMA C-Face & 1 1/8" Keyed Shaft
Adaptor
Control System, Solectria DMOC445

Thanks for the info, it's really helping me clear a bunch of things up.

Regards

Jo
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- [I'm a software guy and very new to the EV seen. I'm planning a go cart, but thinking about cars...]

Has anyone seen a software controlled contactor controller? If it was completely software controlled, then you could handle the complexity of using different sets of batteries over time even for the same voltages. (Even respond to unequal batteries.)

I think the downside is reality. Essentially, you'd be making a high power crossbar switch to dynamically reconfigure the battery pack. It would end up being more expensive, complex, and fragile than a FET based controller anyway.

(I may be misusing the term crossbar switch. I mean the function, not implementation of an old phone switch.)

To execute the logic, an old PC is essentially free, but the IO interface will cost you a couple hundred (unless you can get by with the parallel port) and the relays would cost you (especially if you built the full out crossbar type switching). You'd need a line for each battery post, so if you want 4 speeds, you'd need 4 batteries, you'd need an 8x8 switch, which would be 256 relays.

I thought that since you are switching each battery individually, the power is less and you could use less expensive relays, but now that I think about it, if you want the full voltage of the pack, then all the current will be running through all the relays, and you can't skimp. I suppose that you could have one main robust relay, so the reconfiguration always occurs on an open circuit, which I would think would reduce the likely hood of welding or burning a relay. (but what do I know... I'm a software guy)

You also have to wire both terminals of every battery to the "controller" which would be more cabling.

I spelled all of this out, hoping that someone would improve on it :-)

Joe

On May 2, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Martin Klingensmith wrote:

On 4/30/07, Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I beg to differ, using 4 contactors on 24,48, 96 taps into the battery
string is about as simple as it gets.
serial/paralle switches, Copper disks and bars and sliding arrangements
sounds complicated.
Jack

The "copper bars and sliding disks" are ways of making high power
contactors. Using field weakening and starting resistors are ways to
get smoother control using more speed steps.
I'm assuming you're not saying that it would be a good idea to simply
tap into the pack and get whatever voltage you want? You would end up
killing your first two batteries while your top batteries (48-96v)
would be almost full.

--
Martin Klingensmith

Marty Hewes wrote:
Can you really get 7kw out of an alternator that was designed to do about 2?

Yes, you really can. There's a catch, of course. First, automotive alternators have low efficiency (60-70%), so you get a *lot* of waste heat! It will quickly overheat if asked to do this for more than a matter of minutes.

Second, it requires very high RPM. This is hard on its bearings and the drive belt. They won't last all that long.

That sounds like it would get hot. I'm also wondering what kind of belt drive it would take to drive 7kw? Probably not the original single V belt.

Actually, the original v-belt or flat belt in some vehicles can handle the power at high enough RPM. The speed is high, so the torque is low.

--- Begin Message --- Here was a post from Lee Hart last August that might also work with the multi-string idea. You could replace a car's stick shift with a forward-backward lever that contacted the bolt heads mentioned in Lee's description

Lee Hart posted:

That's what they did on the big rotary switch controllers for trolley
cars and the likes. Think of a big slate panel with bolt heads arranged
in a circle. Each bolt head has a dime-sized bit of silver brazed onto
it. The wires connect to the other side of the panel with these bolts.

A big rotary arm moves a sliding contact over the bolt heads to
make/break connections. Arcing occurs on the edges, not the faces of the
contacts.

The trick is that there are intermediate contacts between positions. The
shorting bar is wide enough to short two adjacent contacts as it moves.
The intermediate contacts have resistors in series, to always provide a
path for the current as the switch is moved.

Example (view with a fixed-width font like Courier):

12v__________O ||---------to motor
    __/\/\__O   \movable shorting bar

24v_|________O

As the shorting bar is moved

1. the motor gets straight 12v, resistor not connected
2. motor gets 12v, resistor connected between 12v and 24v
3. motor gets 24v thru resistor
4. motor gets 24v direct, resistor shorted to 24v
5. motor gets 24v direct, resisto not connected

Crude, but no arcing or noise! 100% efficient if you only pass through
the resistive positions for a fraction of a second.

I wonder how a siamese version of this motor would do.......

http://www.amsuper.com/products/motorsGenerators/104074509641.cfm

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I wanna see the controller and emergency shutoff contactor. How do you throttle this thing, with the rods in a nuke reactor?

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>