  1) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: ZAP ...didn't mr natural drive an EV?
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Automatic or Manual?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Pile of EV loot
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Cog Calcs (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure it.)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Any experience(s) with this company can repair Curtis controllers?
 15) Photos of AGNS bike setting new NEDRA record
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Hawker Powersafe 12V105F UPS Batteries on Ebay
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: HARD TIME ON CURTIS WARRANTY CLAIM?   (WAS Re: Newest Curtis
 controllers OK to buy now for 120V EV? Or, go with Zilla controller?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Photos of AGNS bike setting new NEDRA record
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Grade climbing and high speed are the oposite corner conditions of
performance that make gear shifting beneficial for EV's.  In my opinion,
retaining the transmission would be a good idea.

Regarding higher battery amps:  if you use a chopper (solid state)
controller, it will "multiply" the amps flowing in the motor at low speed
acceleration as needed.  With this type of controller, the battery amps will
be nearly the same for any size motor or starting gear ratio and is related
only to the horsepower needed to accelerate the car. (not counting second
order effects like I2R loss, or carrying extra motor weight, etc)

On Thu, 3 May 2007 22:41:22 +0800, Ian Hooper wrote
> Hi all,
>
> So today I was giving some serious thought to doing a direct drive
> conversion for the Miata using two 8" motors or one 11" motor,
> instead of retaining the gearbox/clutch with a single 9" motor.
>
> I presume the main drawback is much higher current requirements
> during low-speed acceleration - anyone know typical battery amps for
>  a Warp11 (for example) under acceleration?
>
> Anyone have any general advice on the direct drive idea? (e.g "don't
>  do it", perhaps ;)
>
> -Ian

I think that a Civic Wagon would be a great car for an EV conversion.
Being your first conversion I'd keep the clutch there will be a lot of
other things to learn you can learn about clutch less and auto and
direct drive on other vehicles. YOU ARE PLANNING ON CONVERTING OTHER
VEHICLES AFTER THE CIVIC ARN"T YOU.

The miata is so small, could you get the motor(s) in the driveshaft tunnel? If
you have to stick them in the motor compartment anyway you might as well keep
the tranny.

So today I was giving some serious thought to doing a direct drive
conversion for the Miata using two 8" motors or one 11" motor,
instead of retaining the gearbox/clutch with a single 9" motor.

I presume the main drawback is much higher current requirements
during low-speed acceleration - anyone know typical battery amps for
a Warp11 (for example) under acceleration?

Anyone have any general advice on the direct drive idea? (e.g "don't
do it", perhaps ;)

-Ian

--- Begin Message --- Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd have to extend the tailshaft, not even an 8" would fit down the tunnel in this thing.

The main reason I was interested to lose the gearbox/clutch was to have less things to wear out. Plus, single speed is kind of elegant I think. But yes, it might be a lot more work & expense..

On 03/05/2007, at 11:39 PM, David Dymaxion wrote:

The miata is so small, could you get the motor(s) in the driveshaft tunnel? If you have to stick them in the motor compartment anyway you might as well keep the tranny.

So today I was giving some serious thought to doing a direct drive
conversion for the Miata using two 8" motors or one 11" motor,
instead of retaining the gearbox/clutch with a single 9" motor.

I presume the main drawback is much higher current requirements
during low-speed acceleration - anyone know typical battery amps for
a Warp11 (for example) under acceleration?

Anyone have any general advice on the direct drive idea? (e.g "don't
do it", perhaps ;)

-Ian

Hey Roderick

http://www.lib.calpoly.edu/spec_coll/comix/zap0.html
I havn't heard of those comix for along time!

Didn't Mr Natural have a long white beard, drive an EV  and run
around naked in the park at the drop of a hat? or was that fat
freddie?
http://lambiek.net/artists/c/crumb.htm
 ( look half way down the page)
I remember reading about electric cars in those pages somewhere! the
first time I ever heard about it!

I'm sure we could find someone like that on this group and give them
that nick name.lol

Tom
http://lambiek.net/crumb2.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zap_Comix
http://www.zubeworld.com/crumbmuseum/zap4.html
------------<<<>>>--------------
From:   "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Speaking of ZAP, Ya know, they used to put out great Comix ;-)

Roderick Wilde

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: May 3, 2007 7:20:46 AM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: AGNS bike sets new NEDRA record

On Wednesday evening the Lawless Industries AGNS (All Go No Show) motorcycle set a new NEDRA 72 volt record for the 1/8th mile of 8.86 seconds @ 77.11 MPH on good old fashion, 3 year old Hawker AGM's. This time was backed up with an 8.83 minutes later. Brand new NEDRA member Denis Stanislaw was on board for the ride complete with Carhart overalls and work boots Weather was not conducive to record setting with a stiff head wind and 54 degree temp but the little bike didn't seem to mind on it's way to a 14.1 @ 87 mph 1/4 mile. Comparing the AGM to LI pack is like comparing peas and carrots. Where the V28's were just starting to run at the 1/8th mile, the Hawkers are running out of steam. But man that lead acid rush on the line is still impressive. Many high school age racers were there for grudge night and by our third run almost all got off their bikes and out of their cars to watch. They didn't even seem to notice the nitrous Kawasaki ZX-11 that ran 7's at 170's the run before us. Thank you Charles for the tuning tips on the Perm motors!

Looking for 100 mph at 96 volts.....
______________________________________________________________________ __

IIRC Enersys (Hawker) PowerSafe is a "standby" battery.
While it has a 15 yr Design Life in STANDBY use, and a phenomenal AH capacity for the price, it is rated for only a very small number of discharge cycles. I think deep discharges are in the tens, more are of course possible if using shallower discharges but still not many at all for a VRLA lead-acid.

I got that info from talking to the mfg and looking deep into the spec sheets. I wish they would make it clearer on the product summary.

There was a guy on eBay awhile back who was selling off a huge number of PowerSafe that "were used for a solar installation", which got me doing research on the product line- I almost bought some of his. Apparently they bought them without realizing they were inappropriate for repeated cycles of solar duty and either found out from later research or found out when they crapped out on them one by one.

Danny

Martin Winlow wrote:

John G. Lussmyer wrote:
And those people who haven't used and researched Contactor Controllers in the past, STILL don't have any good way of finding out what has
been done with them. WHERE can we find out about those 50 (or 100)
year old designs?

Most vehicles with contactor controllers had service manuals, which provided the circuit, parts lists, theory of operation, etc. Since they are older, it takes a bit of effort to do the historical research to ind them. Nobody has bothered to do all the work and put them on the web for free. John, you had a contactor controller in your ComutaVan with this information. Did you put it on the web?

Building a contactor controller is electrical, rather than electronic. It's more like wiring a house -- each one is done individually, on the spot, with the parts available and in the room provided. The electrician learns the principles, and adapts them to the circumstances.

Since there seems to be some effort in this area, maybe it's time we tried to gather all the contactor controller documentation we have, put it online somewhere. I have perhaps a half dozen sets of documentation, but no way to scan them or get them online. It will also take a fair bit of writing so a beginner can even understand them -- they won't know how to read a schematic or wiring diagram, won't know how to judge current or voltage ratings for the parts they find, and won't know anything about good construction practices for high-power wiring.

An alternator puts out AC right?

Right.

The regulator converts it to DC with those magical zeners and genies
and whatnot.

Not quite. Diodes rectify the AC into DC. They are mounted inside the alternator.

The regulator is a simple electrical or electronic circuit that adjusts the field current (current flowing in the rotating part) to control the output voltage. If you just tie the field straight to the rectified output, you get 12vdc at 600 engine rpm (idle), and 120vdc at 6000 engine rpm (full speed).

The simplest regulator is just a few relays. Their coils sense the alternators's output voltage; as it goes up, the relays pull in and switch resistors in series with the field to bring it back down.

What's the unregulated output of the alternator?

The unregulated voltage is about VoltsDC = 0.1 x RPM x FieldCurrent.

What about those whomping 230 amp alternators? Whats their unregulated output?

About the same. That constant (0.1) gets smaller as the ampere rating gets bigger; it takes more field current to get a given voltage.

Would it be possible to rectify that, smooth it with a couple of caps, and recharge a portion of a battery pack?

Yes, provided you have a high enough RPM. The maximum field current is limited by the wire size of the rotor windings. So, you're limited to about 2 amps maximum or it will burn up. That's enough to (barely) get 12v at idle, but 120v at high RPM.

I know, this would result in an uneven pack....

Not if you used it to charge *all* the batteries.

Suppose you could have this "cheap regen" flip around to charge different portions of the pack at different times, using some rube-goldberg relay-setup?

Sounds like my Battery Balancer :-)

Or, would it be better to step up the AC to 150 (or whatever you are using) - *then* convert it to DC, and have it charge the whole pack?

Since the alternator outputs AC (if you connect wires ahead of the diodes), you could use a transformer to step its voltage up to anything you like. Since it makes 3-phase AC, it actually takes 3 transformers. Then put the rectifies *after* the transformer.

But of course, stepping the voltage up will step the current down. If the alternator produces 12vac at 60amps at idle, the transformer could make 120vac at 6amps. You also better have a regulator in there, or it will try to make 1200vac at high RPM!

A key point here is that an alternator (or any electric motor or generator for that matter) delivers maximum power at maximum speed. Double the speed, and you've doubled the horsepower. 10 times the speed, 10 times the horsepower. There's no limit except a) the maximum speed before it is destroyed from centrifugal force, b) the maximum voltage where the insulation breaks down (since you have to apply more voltage to get more speed).

I remember I had an old 74 Chevy impala (more steel than any 3 cars these days). The alternator belt was loose (I later tightened it) - it would charge the battery fine, if it wasn't too low. If the battery was really low, the belt would squeal, as the alternator tried to charge the battery (the lower the "pack" at that time, the harder the alternator would work to bring it back up).

Right! The regulator was trying to maintain battery voltage. When battery voltage was low, it demanded "maximum power" from the alternator. The alternator thus put the heaviest load on the belt. It slipped, and squealed.

This has to be a function of the regulator...right? That behavior could be changed by altering the regulator - change the regulator so that the
alternator only gave out so many amps no matter what, rather than trying
to vary/regulate its charge each time...

Yes; newer cars use more complicated regulators for just this purpose. On an old car, if you cranked a long time and ran the battery down, when it did start, the regulator demanded *maximum power* from the alternator. Power = torque x speed, so low speed demands high torque. So the belt was most likely to squeal at idle.

Modern regulators can deliberately reduce the alternator output, so the belt won't squeal. But of course, you get less charging current, too.

There's no way that an alternator could recharge the pack (unless you're going 17 miles downhill....corvette conversion) - so overcharging shouldn't be an issue...

Yes; you'd have to start out your drive on top of a big hill, with a fully charged pack. Possible, but rare.

A more realistic problem is that you start with a fully charged pack, so you can't charge it at high current. Even a short but steep hill (like going down your driveway) could produce a very high peak regen current. The battery voltage would shoot way up, which could damage something. So, you still need to limit regen when you first start driving, even if you don't live on a mountain.

Couldn't we use an alternator (or 2), stepped up, to provide a little juice back to the pack during braking? (have this whole thing turned on by a brake-pedal switch).

Sure; that's what this is all about.

Have a gas-pedal switch turn on 1 alternator when it is released, and the brake pedal turn on another, if its depressed a little....
I know this is Rube-Goldberg...but I thought I'd ask anyway.

It isn't much different that what most cars do anyway. Many automotive systems are extremely crude, when you get right down to what they are doing.

Joe Batt wrote:
Has anyone seen a software controlled contactor controller?

I think a couple hobbyists have built them. But it's a bit like putting a computer in a toaster -- there's not a lot of need for it.

If it was completely software controlled, then you could handle the
complexity of using different sets of batteries over time even for
the same voltages. (Even respond to unequal batteries.)

That's certainly possible. The challenge is that the switching to do the necessary rearrangements is the expensive part. So, most designs seek to minimize the switching. This means you don't have enough options left to do much individual management.

I think the downside is reality. Essentially, you'd be making a high power crossbar switch to dynamically reconfigure the battery pack. It would end up being more expensive, complex, and fragile than a FET based controller anyway.

Yes, I think that's the likely result. However, it may still be worth investigating. For example, low-voltage contactors are very cheap, because they are mass produced by the millions. There may be ways to use lots of them instead of a few expensive high-voltage contactors.

Paul wrote:
Lee Hart wrote:
I've opened a number of Curtis controllers for repair, and have noticed evidence of water inside many of them...

Since you have seen the inside of the Curtis controllers, what is the safest direction(s) to mount them? What should be up and what shouldn't be down? In my buggy I have a 1221B mounted with the heat sink base up (top down?). Just looking at the construction from the outside it looked like the best idea.

I'm not sure that any orientation is good if you get water inside, but heatsink down appears to be the worst. First, the water would bridge the sheet that insulates the internal heat spreader from the bottom of the case. Second, the lower edge of the control board sits in a groove in this heat spreader, and water would short PCB traces to the heat spreader. This is what appeared to kill Bob Rice's controller.

Heatsink up sounds like a reasonable choice. But water could still lay on the large horizontal power board at the top of the case.

Mounting it either end up might let water fall harmlessly to the ends; but it also puts the broken seals on top where splash or condensation could run right in.

Thanks Chip,

I should point out that Denis designed and built the AGNS chassis here in our shop in the 3 days leading up to the BBB.
It seemed only fitting that he ride for the record.

Shawn

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: May 3, 2007 7:20:46 AM EDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]

______________________________________________________________________> __

=0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Where are you thinking of putting the batteries for the Miata and how many?
Space is a problem with the car.

On Thu, 3 May 2007 8:27 am, George Swartz wrote:

[...]

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Could you fit one 8 inch motor directly to the half axle joint on each rear wheel? Could you drive them independently ? If so you could use one motor for economy mode and kick in both for needed boost.

You would still steer with the front (no motor controlled steering is implied.).

For most normal road driving you really only need to power one wheel.
Only hard acceleration or slick surfaces like snow or mud require more than one wheel.

Modern roads virtually eliminate the need for multiple wheel power dispite the traction ads and gimmicks.