  1) Re: buck-enhanced PFC-20, never installed
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: buck-enhanced PFC-20, never installed
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) 1965 Datsun Truck
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: White Zombie motor?
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADC
        motors)
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: [EV] Re: [EV] All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7"
ADC motors)
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Rectactor Controller Suggestions
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) AC Questions - Just got my donor pickup!!!-
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADCmotors)
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) DD, Cog Calcs, aero and Zap? (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to measure
it.)
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
List on a 20 B is $1800 plus shipping....
To Portland.. it's hand delivery.

I noticed your order coming to the top of the shipping list.....

Got PHEV deadlines this week. I am shipping again.. That's good news.

I have 3 chargers out this week... feels good top see them going out again.

I had a parts ordering screwup.. Sorry EV listers....

One good week and I will be back to 10 day shipping....

Off to make another PHEV kit flavor...
The Green cars Unicase.. Cute... made for service, Speed charging and fast
module service.

With "Affordable" lead.. I want the upgrade and relaoding to be fast and as
painless as possible.

Lead is consumable..Lithium is a investment.
Madman

Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:37:21 -0500
From: "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "EV Discussion Group" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Cc: "John Wayland--
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:05:29 -0600
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
From: Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: White Zombie motor?

There are scaling issues involved. The surface to volume ratio of
a  small motor is much larger than that of a large motor so the
cooling loads do not scale very favorably for more normal sized motors.

It looks like they are using "high-temperature" superconductors if
they are at -246 C (27 Kelvin). This is the boiling point of liquid
neon. If you thought liquid helium was expensive, wait until the
Master Card bill comes in from your order of liquid neon. LHe is
around $10 a liter. LNe is well over $200 per liter before you ship
it. (Nice cryogen, however.) What is interesting about LNe is that
they won't quote you a price until the day they ship it. There is a
"spot market" on the price, kind of like gold or platinum, that changes daily.

You can easily get field strengths of over 8 Tesla with
superconducting magnets. Beyond that, it becomes difficult
mechanically to hold them together, especially on a large scale. You
can get a copper electro-magnet to do about a Tesla if you have a
lake or a river nearby to keep it cool.

The problem with using superconductors in motors are the AC magnetic
field losses. Superconductors have zero loss to the flow of DC
currents, but are quite lossy when subjected to moving magnetic
fields. When you do the wattage calculations, it doesn't seem so bad.
Then you realize that you must remove this wattage at 27 Kelvin and
reject it at room temperature. This hammers you.

Bill Dube'

Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

If you went truly direct you'd be running only about 1000 rpm at freeway speed,
an inefficient region for motor operation. To do it right you'd need a custom
large diameter motor, or to do gearing (like Gone Postal).

Running one motor on one wheel might be more efficient electrically, but it
would push the car asymmetrically. If you drove only one wheel you'd have to
turn the steering wheel a bit to compensate, and you'd have more rolling
resistance.

From: Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:14:20 -0700

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 01:44 -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
> Richard Acuti wrote:
> > First, thanks for explaining to me how the Zilla produces different
> > voltages/amps at the motor and the battery. I understand transformers, I
> > just didn't know that these controllers did that. I thought they were
> > simply chopper controllers (on/off) with superior heat dissapation.
> > Obviously they are much more complex than that. Just to make sure I
> > understand: Curtis controllers don't have this buck function? They just
> > switch on and off rapidly to power the motor?
>
> *All* PWM controllers do this; the Zilla, Curtis, Auburn, DCP, Zapi, and
> even all the old SCR controllers (GE, Sevcon, etc.). It's a design trick
> learned at least 50 years ago, and used on every controller designed by
> anyone who has done any research at all into motor controllers.

And so do you (Lee) happen to know what the typical boost is--1.5x?  I
imagine it's different for the different makes of controllers; I'm
wondering if I could get (say) 144v out of a 120v pack. (I checked the
CafeElectric site but didn't see a spec for this)

--Steve
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:16:02 -0700
From: "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

By eliminating the rear differential you are missing out on some gear
reduction.  By taking out the transmission you are losing more gear
reduction.  I would think that you would need a chain or belt drive gear
reduction if you wanted to power one wheel with a motor.

Alan

From: "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 16:21:54 -0400

GW - ( by the way, what's your name?)

With one wheel drive you would get torque steer - even under the best
traction conditions.  This is because you would have side loads on both
front tires whenever you were applying traction with a single wheel.  Tires
only roll straight if there is no side load.  If there is any side load,
they travel at their "slip angle".  Think about pushing a shopping cart from
one side only. Because of the slip angle, a car's tires will act ( to a much
smaller degree) like casters.

As far as a single driven motor providing an "economy" mode, that might only
hold true if  you mechanically disconnected the undriven motor from its
axle.  If the undriven motor is spinning anyway, it is absorbing power (
primarily brush drag and internal fan losses) .  And, because of that, I
believe that you would be just as well off (or better - in terms of
efficiency) by powering both motors at all times .

Powering both motors also means you can use series/parallel switching.  This
would provide more performance from your controller at low speeds.

Also, if your unpowered motor is still spinning (and adding drag to the
undriven side of the car) the torque steer would be even worse.

Phil

>From: GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
>Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:20:04 -0700
>
>Could you fit one 8 inch motor directly to the half axle joint on each rear
>wheel? Could you drive them independently ?
>If so you could use one motor for economy mode and kick in both for needed
>boost.
>
>You would still steer with the front (no motor controlled steering is
>implied.).
>
>For most normal road driving you really only need to power one wheel.
>Only hard acceleration or slick surfaces like snow or mud require more than
>one wheel.
>
>Modern roads virtually eliminate the need for multiple wheel power dispite
>the traction ads and gimmicks.
>

>On Thu, 3 May 2007 8:58 am, David Dymaxion wrote:
>>The miata is so small, could you get the motor(s) in the driveshaft
>>tunnel? If you have to stick them in the motor compartment anyway you
>>might as well keep the tranny.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:22:04 -0400
From: Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: [EV] Re: [EV] All the things I'm learning (about controllers &
6.7" ADC motors)

> >Its just the nature of how electricity works that, discounting losses,
> >V*I is always constant. So if PWM is chopping voltage, current gets
> >multiplied.
>
> It's not *quite* that simple. A key point is that the output must be
> inductive. In the general-purpose case, there is a physical inductor. In
> motor controllers, they usually "cheat" and use the motor's inductance.
> The inductance is necessary to smooth the current; without it, you would
> get the huge on/off current pulses that you would otherwise expect.
>
> Another key point is that the input must be capacitive. In the general
> purpose case, there are physical capacitors on the input. In EV
> controllers, they sometimes "cheat" and use the battery's capacitance.

Thanks for the clarification. One never stops learning :)

--
Eduardo K.            | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl  | Murphy, la oportunidad.
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:25:39 -0700
From: "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

> Regarding higher battery amps:  if you use a chopper (solid state)
controller,
> it will "multiply" the amps flowing in the motor at low speed
acceleration as
> needed.

Is that beyond the factor of two, which a two-string split pack might
easily provide?

Randii (comparing apples and tangelos)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 03:14:31 -0500
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Automatic or Manual?

Marty Hewes wrote:
> Regarding efficiency, I suspect the most efficient, and lightest
> would be a manual...

The most efficient setup is *no* transmission. However, most cars being
converted come with one, so most people use it.

> Dual motors and no gearbox sounds interesting, but launching without
> gear reduction sounds like it would take a lot of current and be tough
> on the batteries to me, but I haven't tried it.

The batteries don't care, because the controller steps the voltage down
(and the current up) as needed.

But if you go transmissionless, the motor and controller need to be
bigger, to supply the higher motor currents needed. When you're building
from scratch, or have to *buy* a transmission, it's cheaper to leave out
the transmission and pay a little more for a bigger motor and
controller. That's why most scratch-built EVs don't have transmissions.

If you've already got the transmission that came with the car, it is
essentially "free", so using it lets you get by with a smaller (i.e.
cheaper) motor and controller. That's why most EV conversions have
transmissions.
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

--0-386892186-1178224981=:8753

You need some gearing, do the math and you'll see how slow a wheel is turning
at 20mph, I recall 1500 rpm at 60mph, of course depends on tire size.
I have a CVT in my aspire that currently is setup to drive a half-shaft
directly, th3 CVT has a roughly 4:1 to 1:1 spread.  I still haven't tested it
on the road yet, but I think it will need another 2:1 gear behind it, so it
goes 8:1 to 2:1 spread, or if I use the differential with 3.4:1, that gives a
spread of 13:1 to 3.4:1, which is probably just right.

Jack Murray

Alan Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: By eliminating the rear differential

Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:45:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rectactor Controller Suggestions
To: EV List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

After following the latest contactor controller thread with great interest I am
seriously
considering building my own. I have come up with the following based on the
rectactor schematics
referred to in the previous links and my particular needs. I have 18 6V flooded
lead acid
batteries (Trojan TE-35). I was thinking of dividing them up into 18V _modules_
and connecting
them this way: (View with fixed font, Sorry my diodes don't look better. I did
the best I could ;)

      S1         S3         S5         S7         S9
       /          /          /          /          /
 -----/  --------/  --------/  --------/  --------/  ------------------- M+
 |        / |        / |        / |        / |        / |
 |   D1  /  |   D2  /  |   D3  /  |   D4  /  |   D5  /  |
---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---
 -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -
---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---     R1
 -  /       -  /       -  /       -  /       -  /       -   --/\/\/--|
 | /        | /        | /        | /        | /        |   |        |
 |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |   |   /    |
 ----/  --------/  --------/  --------/  --------/  -----------/ ------- M-
     S2         S4         S6         S8         S10           S11

Step       S1     S2     S3     S4     S5     S6     S7     S8     S9     S10
S11
--------- ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---
---
 1  (18V)  ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON
OFF
 2    "    ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON
 ON
 3  (36V)  ON     ON     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON     ON     ON
OFF
 4    "    ON     ON     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON     ON     ON
 ON
 5  (54V)  ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON
OFF
 6    "    ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON
 ON
 7 (108V) OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF
OFF
 8   "    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF
 ON

I was hoping that I could get a bit more specific advice in regards to which
components would be
appropriate for this arrangement. I was thinking of the LEV200. (Or any other
advice for that
matter) I would like to be good for about 400 amps max for under 10 second
bursts and the rest of
the time under 200 amps and more than likely around 100 amps continuous. I was
thinking that after
the 8th step I would have field weakening through some variable resistor. Or
should I have the
field weakening on every step?

In examining the chart with the steps I noticed that all of the contactors are
actuated in pairs.
Is there a particlar type that would have 2 sets of contacts actuated at the
same time? Is the
current actually increasing towards the right? Could you use less expensive
lower rated contactors
for the lower numbered ones?

And another thing, I am confused as to how Ohm's law applies to the contactors
in this
arrangement. How much voltage is across the contacts in the different
series/parallel
configurations? Do you look at how much voltage is there when they are open? I
would assume so as
there is very little voltage drop when they are closed.

And what value and type of resistor and diodes should be used?

Finally, if I wanted regen (I do have a SepEx motor), could I only get it at
18V? Could I hurt the
motor by just adjusting the field current? If I needed to regen at a higher
voltage is there a way
to change the configuration and still use more or less the same number of
components? Or should I
just bypass the whole thing and connect the full battery to the armature and
control the regen
with the field?

I appreciate any comments,

Chet Fields

To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:50:48 -0400

Lee, you sound like just the person we need...
The alternators use standard diodes to generate DC from AC..
then they use Zener diodes (that break-down at varying voltages, so that
the alternator only produces a certain max voltage).

Where do we get these 144 volt (or whatever) zeners? (they break down at
about 14 volts, so that they prevent the thing from generating too much
volts, blowing things up).
So whats a failsafe on these zeners? What happens when they get old, and
don't break down anymore, allowing 6000 rpm to create 1200 volts dc,
blowing up a standard automobile's electrical system?

So what we're needing then, is Brand X alternator, with Mod (LeeHart)
electrical adaptor thingie, to provide Y voltage for recharging a battery
pack of Z volts.
Step 1) buy 1 or 2 Brand X heavy-duty alternator(s)
Step 2) remove xyz plate, remove abc regulator, and replace it with these
wires that go to a new external step-up-regulator box of some kind.
Step 3) hook up belts, using this here diagram.
Step 4) hook up output leads to battery pack.
Step 5) enjoy your brandy-new regen braking system for your DC system.

So -
We've established that alternators can create DC.
Transformers can step up the AC ahead of time, which can be rectified to
whatever DC we need.
You mentioned that newer regulators can alter their output, otherwise we'd
have "regen braking that varied depending on how much you've driven" -
which probably wouldn't be cool.
Beginning of day, no regen (pack isn't low, right?)
End of day, you let off the gas (juice?), and get massive regen (the
squealing belts, the massive current to battery pack, and overheating
alternator on some downhill road).

Who has the skill to build and sell the above mentioned Mod that will
produce (somewhat) steady voltage, varying current, without
too-much-charge to the batteries?

Alternators already exist (thus pulleys, bearings, housings, etc are
already designed, and able to operate in a nasty hot-ICE environment, so
EV should be less of a strain on it).

All we need is the Mod box (for a particular voltage battery pack).

Who sells/makes these things?

Do you think that Zivan or ByScan could make one of these things?
I'm sure the hardest part is regulating the thing based on the varying
alternator RPM - but they do it for 12 (14) volts (with zeners)...

How come Zivan, ByScan, or someone else doesn't have an instruction
booklet that goes much like steps 1-5 above, where the "mod box" is the
standard plug-in charger?

All you'd have to add is a couple of alternators.... (and of course, the
rest of the EV, but I'm assuming that....)

Thanks!
Ed Cooley
Charlotte, NC

Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
05/02/2007 22:10
Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
cc

Subject

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> An alternator puts out AC right?

Right.

> The regulator converts it to DC with those magical zeners and genies
> and whatnot.

Not quite. Diodes rectify the AC into DC. They are mounted inside the
alternator.

The regulator is a simple electrical or electronic circuit that adjusts
the field current (current flowing in the rotating part) to control the
output voltage. If you just tie the field straight to the rectified
output, you get 12vdc at 600 engine rpm (idle), and 120vdc at 6000
engine rpm (full speed).

The simplest regulator is just a few relays. Their coils sense the
alternators's output voltage; as it goes up, the relays pull in and
switch resistors in series with the field to bring it back down.

> What's the unregulated output of the alternator?

The unregulated voltage is about VoltsDC = 0.1 x RPM x FieldCurrent.

> What about those whomping 230 amp alternators? Whats their unregulated
> output?

About the same. That constant (0.1) gets smaller as the ampere rating
gets bigger; it takes more field current to get a given voltage.

> Would it be possible to rectify that, smooth it with a couple of caps,
> and recharge a portion of a battery pack?

Yes, provided you have a high enough RPM. The maximum field current is
limited by the wire size of the rotor windings. So, you're limited to
about 2 amps maximum or it will burn up. That's enough to (barely) get
12v at idle, but 120v at high RPM.

> I know, this would result in an uneven pack....

Not if you used it to charge *all* the batteries.

> Suppose you could have this "cheap regen" flip around to charge
> different portions of the pack at different times, using some
> rube-goldberg relay-setup?

Sounds like my Battery Balancer :-)

> Or, would it be better to step up the AC to 150 (or whatever you are
> using) - *then* convert it to DC, and have it charge the whole pack?

Since the alternator outputs AC (if you connect wires ahead of the
diodes), you could use a transformer to step its voltage up to anything
you like. Since it makes 3-phase AC, it actually takes 3 transformers.
Then put the rectifies *after* the transformer.

But of course, stepping the voltage up will step the current down. If
the alternator produces 12vac at 60amps at idle, the transformer could
make 120vac at 6amps. You also better have a regulator in there, or it
will try to make 1200vac at high RPM!

A key point here is that an alternator (or any electric motor or
generator for that matter) delivers maximum power at maximum speed.
Double the speed, and you've doubled the horsepower. 10 times the speed,
10 times the horsepower. There's no limit except a) the maximum speed
before it is destroyed from centrifugal force, b) the maximum voltage
where the insulation breaks down (since you have to apply more voltage
to get more speed).

> I remember I had an old 74 Chevy impala (more steel than any 3 cars
> these days).
> The alternator belt was loose (I later tightened it) - it would charge
> the battery fine, if it wasn't too low.
> If the battery was really low, the belt would squeal, as the alternator
> tried to charge the battery (the lower the "pack" at that time, the
> harder the alternator would work to bring it back up).

Right! The regulator was trying to maintain battery voltage. When
battery voltage was low, it demanded "maximum power" from the
alternator. The alternator thus put the heaviest load on the belt. It
slipped, and squealed.

> This has to be a function of the regulator...right? That behavior could
> be changed by altering the regulator - change the regulator so that the
> alternator only gave out so many amps no matter what, rather than trying
> to vary/regulate its charge each time...

Yes; newer cars use more complicated regulators for just this purpose.
On an old car, if you cranked a long time and ran the battery down, when
it did start, the regulator demanded *maximum power* from the
alternator. Power = torque x speed, so low speed demands high torque. So
the belt was most likely to squeal at idle.

Modern regulators can deliberately reduce the alternator output, so the
belt won't squeal. But of course, you get less charging current, too.

> There's no way that an alternator could recharge the pack (unless you're

> going 17 miles downhill....corvette conversion) - so overcharging
> shouldn't be an issue...

Yes; you'd have to start out your drive on top of a big hill, with a
fully charged pack. Possible, but rare.

A more realistic problem is that you start with a fully charged pack, so
you can't charge it at high current. Even a short but steep hill (like
going down your driveway) could produce a very high peak regen current.
The battery voltage would shoot way up, which could damage something.
So, you still need to limit regen when you first start driving, even if
you don't live on a mountain.

> Couldn't we use an alternator (or 2), stepped up, to provide a little
> juice back to the pack during braking? (have this whole thing turned on
> by a brake-pedal switch).

Sure; that's what this is all about.

> Have a gas-pedal switch turn on 1 alternator when it is released, and
> the brake pedal turn on another, if its depressed a little....
> I know this is Rube-Goldberg...but I thought I'd ask anyway.

It isn't much different that what most cars do anyway. Many automotive
systems are extremely crude, when you get right down to what they are
doing.

To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
From: Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AC Questions - Just got my donor pickup!!!-
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:00:15 -0800

Hey all,
I just got a 1990 4x4 toyota pickup to convert and have some
questions about what setup to use.

I have been planning on doing AC because of the regen and efficiency
advantages but was wondering about the difference in power and torque
between an AC and DC motor.
I have been looking at the AC55 motor and DMOC445 controller kit from
electroauto.com and thinking about 324volts of sealed lead batteries
until something like altairnano is available.

Seeing as how I live in a pretty rural small town I would need to be
able to go 80 miles to the nearest bigger town and then how would I
get back the same day? so I would actually need a 120 mile range...
seems unfeasible with lead batteries???

So with this in mind I am thinking a 50 mile range would be really
doable for me and maybe concentrate on performance vs. squeezing out
range.
So fast acceleration and lots of torque would be nice. I am going to
use my stock transmission.

Soo what do you all think about this?
Does it sound like the AC55 will be a good fit?
Is there a better AC system available?

Any comments and suggestions will be great :)

Thanks,
Tehben
From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7" ADCmotors)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:37:40 -0600

And so do you (Lee) happen to know what the typical boost is--1.5x?  I
imagine it's different for the different makes of controllers; I'm
wondering if I could get (say) 144v out of a 120v pack. (I checked the
CafeElectric site but didn't see a spec for this)

You can't do that. The ratio is (almost):

   Vmotor           Ibattery
  ---------   =   ------------
   Vbattery         Imotor

Vmotor < Vbattery. Except in regen.
Imotor < Imax.

There are diode losses and resistive losses and switching losses  but
roughly that's what will happen (within maybe 5%). Motor voltage will always
be below battery voltage. Motor current will be at or below the controller's
motor current limit. You can't get a higher voltage using this sort of
controller very easily using the motor's inductance. You'd need a separate
(big) inductor to pull that off though it could be done, in theory.

-Dale
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:43:48 -0600
From: Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Here are some quick calculations.  I didn't see which model year Miata
you have, so I'll just use  round  numbers for  a "close enough"
approximation.

1)  Your differential gear reduction will be somewhere around 4:1
2)  Your tires will get somewhere around 900 revolutions per mile

Let's say you remove the tranny and hook up directly to the drive shaft
or differential, using two 8-inch ADC motors.  At 5000 RPM, the wheel
will be spinning at 1250 RPM, giving a top speed of around 83 MPH.
The 4:1 ratio is about equivalent to what you get in 4th gear on a
5-speed Miata.
For hill climbing and acceleration, switch the motors to series instead
of parallel, your should get power quite close to 2nd gear on a 5-speed
Miata.

Some Miatas have a 4.3:1 differential ratio, which would drop your top
speed to around 77 MPH at 5000 RPM (or 85 MPH at 5500 RPM), and give a
little extra power.

Bill Dennis
From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu