  1) Re: 1965 Datsun Truck
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Jinxed!
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: All the things I'm learning (about controllers &  6.7' ADC
     motors)
  5) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
  6) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Rectactor Controller Suggestions
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
 10) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Direct drive - thoughts?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: DD, Cog Calcs, aero and Zap? (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and how to
measure it.)
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE Aero (was RE: DD, Cog Calcs, aero and Zap? (was RE: ADC 6.7 redline and
how to measure it.))
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Cheap regen/DC-DC eliminator
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: article: ZAP (OTC BB: ZAAP) Reinvents the Wheel with Advanced
 Electric Wheel Motor Technology Partner
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: AC Questions - Just got my donor pickup!!!-
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: , now drawings- ExpressPCB
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Building your own CC Re: Comercial Contactor Controller
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Golf Industries Controller problem
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Marty Hewes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I think the trans/no trans tradeoff might change significantly
> depending on performance expectations.

It's not really an acceleration performance issue. Once you have enough  motor
current to spin the tires in the one-and-only gear a transmissionless EV has,
there is no point to other lower gear ratios. The battery current will be the
same.

> The trans cost me $80 plus a rebuild kit. I suspect to get similar
> performance without the trans would require an 11" motor or two 9"
> motors with serial parallel switching to get enough watts to the
> tires without going straight into current limiting.

What I said was that the cost to buy a *new* transmission was greater than the
*additional* cost of slightly larger motor and controller. In your case, you
have a *free* transmission that only needs an $80 rebuild; so it's cheaper for
you to use this transmission with a smaller motor and controller.

The physical size of the motor doesn't have much effect on the torque it can
produce -- that's more the function of the controller and batteries (i.e. how
much power they can provide). What the motor size really does is determine how
*long* you can make that torque before it overheats. Your jeep could accelerate
from 0-60 mph just as fast with a single 9" motor, a single 11" motor, or two
9" motors. But the single 9" may only be able to do it for 1 minute; the 11"
motor can do it for 3 minutes, and two 9" motors for 10 minutes.

With a single-speed drive, you need a big enough motor to deliver the torque
needed to climb the steepest hill you plan on without overheating. There may
not *be* any steep enough hills where you live to take more than 1 minute to
climb them -- in that case, a smaller motor is fine.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

Roger Stockton wrote:

I thought there were applications to emulate a Windoze box on Apple
machines, and half expected something like this would exist for Linux
also; won't ExpressPCB/SCH run in these virtual environments?
actually you can run Windoze on the new Macs directly, but you need to buy a copy. yes there is a win32 emulator for Linux, WINE. Let the listers decide what they want, as I say I can scrape up a win32 machine if I have to.
There is a reason why ASCII art endures! ;^>
heh heh  I have to firmly disagree! there's lots of free drawing programs.

thanks

--- Begin Message --- I don't know if you've been following this board, but the MotherEarthNews hybrid is an obvious hoax. There's no question that a little 5 hp would never be able to keep an Opel cruising at a useful speed. Nor would the small mass of batts have been able to provide the instanteous hp or capacity for the electric range he specifies.

I suppose if you wanted a copy for kicks, $25 is hardly a significant chunk of money to throw away as things go. Was that what you were going for?

Danny

Michael Barkley wrote:

[...]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm forwarding this question to the list on behalf of one of our TEAA members.

HI guys,

I have a converted Fiero that has gotten sick. I came to a stop at a light, but when it changed, I had no power. I had her towed home and ran a voltage test on the batteries, but they were all 6.25-6.35. All the terminals are tight.

I ran a test, running my voltage meter to the motor connection on the controller and got an 88.4 reading. My car has a 108 system.

I can't find any loose wires, I don't see any loose or damaged terminal connections.

Any suggestions?

The controller is one I've never heard of...a Golf Industries unit. It has three flanges on the top instead of the four that a Curtis has and I have no diagram as to how it was wired. The unit has a max of 144 v. I can't read the minimum on it. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks!

DC