  1) Re: FW: Jinxed! ( Now - Belktronix)
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Jinxed! ( Now - Belktronix)
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Looking for a 2000 or newer EV minivan; or, someone who want to make one,
for BC
        by robert mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Rectactor Controller Suggestions
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Mechanical PWM Was: Building your own, Commercial Contactor
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Jay Leno no friend of electric cars.
  9) Re: ZAP ...didn't mr natural drive an EV?
        by Tom Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: FW: Jay Leno no friend of electric cars.
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Puka Minibike
 12) Re: Rectactor Controller Suggestions
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: AGNS bike sets new NEDRA record
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: FW: Jay Leno no friend of electric cars.
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Linux EDA Dexign Software.
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Automatic or Manual?
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I don't mean to take any business away from Bryan or Otmar. Thay are "one of
us" after all. But there is another EV'r building "less than Zilla" controllers
and associated EV electronics.

www.evcraft.com

I have not dealt with him so cannot give a "rating" of craftmanship, just
pointing out another option.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

On 5/4/07, Phil Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mark,

I didn't know he would sell a controller separately ( the only prices I
found were for a complete system)

What is the price for just a controller?

Is anyone using his equipment yet?  Any comments on it?

Phil

There are a few comments on his stuff in the archives, and apparently
he is quick to respond, fast service and his products (or, at least,
his DC/DC converters) do exactly as advertised.

Some people have criticized that he takes a 24v tap from the battery
pack to power the controller boards.. honestly, since it only consumes
60mA I don't see the big deal! Let alone the value for the price. I
mean come on.. $2k for all of that in the package? I'll run the extra
wires!

Anyhoo, If you wanted to ask him for individual unit pricing, he has
his email on his website. I like the niche he is filling.. the
"workhorse" niche rather than the "performance" niche. He's not even
really competing with Otmar, since his controllers are 500A current
limited.

--Timothy

Looking for a 2000 or newer EV minivan; or, someone
who want to make one, for BC.

This is a 7-passenger project. Looks like a 200V, 5000
lb. electric minivan. Got one to sell? Want to make
one for sale?

What's the cost?

Chet,
 A few comments:

1) Yes, your odd/even pairs (like S1/S2, S3/S4, etc.) are always on and off at the same time, so if you're doing this with contactors, you might be able to use 5 double-pole contactors instead of 10 single-pole ones. This would cut down on the number of 12V lines that you have to run. 2) One safety issue to be aware of is that this controller is set for 108V when the first 10 switches are OFF, which is their default state. So if you ever accidentally connected the pack to the motor when the car was stationary, you'd be throwing all 108V through R1 or S1. 3) Going along with #2, I'm assuming there's another switch in there somewhere (either S0 or S12) that totally disconnects at least one side of the battery pack from the motor
4)  Is R1 a variable or fixed resistor?
5) You might consider using Shottkey diodes, since they have a lower forward voltage drop, and thus would waste less power

Anyone chime in here if I've misstated anything.

Bill Dennis

Chet Fields wrote:
After following the latest contactor controller thread with great interest I am
seriously
considering building my own. I have come up with the following based on the
rectactor schematics
referred to in the previous links and my particular needs. I have 18 6V flooded
lead acid
batteries (Trojan TE-35). I was thinking of dividing them up into 18V _modules_
and connecting
them this way: (View with fixed font, Sorry my diodes don't look better. I did
the best I could ;)

      S1         S3         S5         S7         S9
       /          /          /          /          /
 -----/  --------/  --------/  --------/  --------/  ------------------- M+
 |        / |        / |        / |        / |        / |
 |   D1  /  |   D2  /  |   D3  /  |   D4  /  |   D5  /  |
---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---     /  ---
 -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -    \/    -
---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---  \|\   ---     R1
 -  /       -  /       -  /       -  /       -  /       -   --/\/\/--|
 | /        | /        | /        | /        | /        |   |        |
 |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |/   /     |   |   /    |
----/ --------/ --------/ --------/ --------/ -----------/ ------- M- S2 S4 S6 S8 S10 S11

Step       S1     S2     S3     S4     S5     S6     S7     S8     S9     S10
S11
--------- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 1 (18V) ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON OFF
 2    "    ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON     ON
 ON
 3  (36V)  ON     ON     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON     ON     ON
OFF
 4    "    ON     ON     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON     ON     ON
 ON
 5  (54V)  ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON
OFF
 6    "    ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON    OFF    OFF     ON     ON
 ON
 7 (108V) OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF
OFF
 8   "    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF    OFF
 ON

I was hoping that I could get a bit more specific advice in regards to which
components would be
appropriate for this arrangement. I was thinking of the LEV200. (Or any other
advice for that
matter) I would like to be good for about 400 amps max for under 10 second
bursts and the rest of
the time under 200 amps and more than likely around 100 amps continuous. I was
thinking that after
the 8th step I would have field weakening through some variable resistor. Or
should I have the
field weakening on every step?

In examining the chart with the steps I noticed that all of the contactors are
actuated in pairs.
Is there a particlar type that would have 2 sets of contacts actuated at the
same time? Is the
current actually increasing towards the right? Could you use less expensive
lower rated contactors
for the lower numbered ones?
And another thing, I am confused as to how Ohm's law applies to the contactors
in this
arrangement. How much voltage is across the contacts in the different
series/parallel
configurations? Do you look at how much voltage is there when they are open? I
would assume so as
there is very little voltage drop when they are closed.

And what value and type of resistor and diodes should be used?

Finally, if I wanted regen (I do have a SepEx motor), could I only get it at
18V? Could I hurt the
motor by just adjusting the field current? If I needed to regen at a higher
voltage is there a way
to change the configuration and still use more or less the same number of
components? Or should I
just bypass the whole thing and connect the full battery to the armature and
control the regen
with the field?

I appreciate any comments,

Chet Fields

--- Begin Message --- Danger! Danger! I'm doing math! I'm inviting peer review on this one, I'm generally not a math guy :).

First the assumption. As motor RPM goes up, effective motor impedence goes up due to back EMF. With higher impedence, we can apply more voltage at the same current. Since watts = volts times amps, that means we can pass more watts at a given current limit at higher motor RPM, because we can apply more volts (until we run out).

In terms of having power on tap at a given speed:

Car A & B are in their lowest gear, pulling away from a light at 20MPH.
Both are running Advance FB1-4001 motors and controllers set to max at 450 amps
Car A has a 2.5 to 1 first gear, Car B is direct drive
Both:
4 to 1 rear axle
25 inch tire (78.5" circumference)
Axle RPM = 270
Driveshaft RPM = 1080
Car A with no trans, motor RPM = 1080
Car B with a 2.5 to 1 1st gear, motor RPM = 2700 RPM

Both drivers floor it and are limited to 450 motor amps by their controller.
According to the FB1-4001 chart on page 185 of Bob Bryant's "Build your own electric vehicle":

Car A, at a motor RPM of 1080 (extrapolated from 50% of the 2160 number), will be supplying about 48 volts to the motor at 450 amps, 21,600 watts available (28.9 horsepower) Car B, at a motor RPM of 2700, will be supplying about 115 volts at 450 amps, 51,750 watts available (69.36 horsepower)

Not surprisingly, this means you're able to put about 2.5 times the wattage to the rear wheels at the same controller current. There will be a large performance difference with the same motor and controller.

Interestingly enough, if you add a second motor, wired in series, to car A, you've got 43,200 watts available, still less than car B at the same motor current draw.

For car A to keep up with car B at more moderate acceleration, it would need to pass (very rough estimate based on extrapolation on the table)

Car B at 300 amps, 2700 RPM, 90 motor volts, 27000 watts available (36 horsepower) Car A at 27000 watts, 1080 RPM, 642 amps at 42 motor volts (again extrapolated since 642 amps is off the chart).

You just went from a $1400 Curtis controller to a $2000 Zilla to meet the same moderate acceleration requirements.

I'd argue that what you've got here is a classic impedence matching problem. The pack wants to deliver high volts, low current. From a rest, the motor wants high current, low voltage. You need to do impedance matching. You can do it in a transmission by bringing RPM up, or you can do it in the controller by using narrow, high current pulses, which drives the cost of the controller up. The cost of the controller is not linear with current capability. So as your performance expectations go up, the transmission looks relatively cheaper, even if it didn't come with the car.

Marty

My 1921 Milburn has been retrofitted with R/C snubbers across the motor I
believe.  That could be an option.
-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.