  1) Re: Over voltage in a pack
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by "Brian Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EV Drag Racing Ideas
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV Drag Racing Ideas
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Two motor clarifications [like the killacycle]
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Brake Rear Pressure Porportioning Valve, Million Lb Jettas
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Gorilla Vehicles for sale on ebay
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Electric Mini Cooper - Hub motors
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) New England EAA  Meeting.
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: flywheel balancing, motors an' Stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Gorilla Vehicles for sale on ebay
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: PFC-20
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I heard the contactors in my head go 'click' when I read these replies. Thanks!!

--T

John,

I am looking for Optima D34M blue top or D34 yellow top batteries and
I keep getting prices in the $170-200 range.  Can you point me to the
right place to find 4 Optimas for $130 each?

Brian

On 5/8/07, John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello to All,

Steve Powers wrote:

>So, I did but 12 V / 80 AH (at 20 hr rate) flooded
>batteries.  You say ... marine batteries ... I say
>... well I guess they are (but the highest grade
>Starting / Deep Cycle Marine batteries you can buy).

You probably should have looked into the EV archives, as this subject is
well covered.

>I see it like this Optimas are $170 / ea and they are
>only 50 Ah.  Sure they can put out 800 - 1000 CCA, but
>my controller is only 550 A.  My new batteries have
>650 CCA.  So acceleration performance is no different.

With just a little searching, you can find Optimas for considerably less
than that, closer to $125-$130 each. Locally here in the Portland metro
area, you can get the bigger group 31 Optimas for $175 each. As to the
ahr rating, they're also 55 ahr, not 50...50 is what the Exide Orbital
is rated at. Continuing on....there's a HUGE difference between 800 cca
and 650....HUGE! In EV terms, this means considerably less voltage sag
under load, which translates into a higher voltage pack while
accelerating at a given current, which translates into BIG improvements
in acceleration and hill-climbing power.

Again, its been written about over and over...in my own small and light
car, Blue Meanie, way back in late '94 when it too, was at 144V and only
sporting a 450 amp controller, I switched from 105 ahr marine style wet
cells to prototype Optimas...Yikes, what a dramatic difference! With the
larger, heavier and far wimpier wet cells, the pack would sag to about
95 volts under full acceleration...with the Optimas? There was a stout
120 volts under full pedal! That extra 15 hp was very noticeable in the
2250 lb. car!

Though your wet cell 80 ahr batteries are rated at 650 cca, they will
not repeatably be able to deliver that kind of current without plate
warpage and battery deterioration. The Optimas on the other hand, love
high currents, are designed to give those kind of currents, and will do
so every day without complaining...do this to those marine / RV
batteries and you'll be throwing them away in a couple of months.

>Cycle life - they have a 1 year free replacement and 2
>year pro rated warranty.  So, I'm not worried there.

They'll probably honor the warranty the first time you return in 4-5
months with worn-out batteries, after that, they'll figure out a way to
not keep replacing them under the abuse your EV will be putting them
through. My RV style batteries were pretty much wasted in 6 months. The
Optimas? They typically went 3-4 years under the intermittent type
driving the car had. The cycle life of those wet cell 12V batteries
plummets when discharged at EV currents and EV depth of discharges.

I just pulled the 6 year old Optimas from Blue Meanie, not a bit of
corrosion anywhere, the cases and terminals still look new. True, this
car doesn't get driven every day in a commute situation, but it did see
1000 amps discharges all the time, and there's probably 400-450 cycles
on the batteries.

>Capacity.  Rated 80 AH.  Maybe I'll get 40 AH usable.
>Still not much worse than Optimas.

When I switched from 12, 105 ahr wet cell 12V batteries to the 12
Optimas, my car's range was about the same, 20-23 miles or so. Pretty
amazing, since I went from 105 ahr batteries to 65 ahr batteries (the
optimistic 65 ahr rating of subsequent production Optimas was later
lowered to a more reasonable 55 ahrs) When the car's pack was upped to
13 of them @ 156V, the range was about 25 miles. I 'did' squeeze 31
miles one time on a hot summer day driving about 40 mph, but that was a
pretty deep discharge!

>So, did I make a mistake?  Not sure.

In terms of how you assessed battery ratings and capabilities,
definitely. If price was the main criteria and you got the wet cell 12
volters for $75 each or so (I just got into this thread and missed any
occasional 200-300 amps draws, than probably not. At low currents and
low depth of discharges, you'll get 'OK' performance from the batteries
you chose and they might last a year and a half.  If you want to have
fun and put the pedal down often, or if you have to pull grades that
require heavy currents, you would have been far better off with a set of
Optimas, Orbitals, or Hawkers.

Historically, most everyone has had miserable experiences with the same
type of batteries you chose, and most everyone who's gone from them to
Optimas, never looked back.

See Ya....John Wayland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As long as rules allow it I think all those ideas are excellent and would probably change drag racing forever for both gas and electric.

On Tue, 8 May 2007 8:26 am, Todd Martin wrote:
Okay, I've been thinking up ways to improve an EV Drag Racer's Performance:

1) Instead of doing a 'burnout' on the tires just before the race (which is done I believe to heat up the tires for a stickier contact surface), heat the tires electrically. Method: buy or make strips of heat resistant fabric with electric wiring embedded in it (like an electric blanket, but for higher temperatures). Wrap the tires in the fabric and heat in a controlled manner to the perfect temperature using an offboard electric source. Just before race, remove wrapping for toasty warm tires. Benefits: 1) no air pollution from 'burnout', 2) controlled temperature for ideal stickyness, 3) no loss of car's battery capacity from 'burnout'.

  2) Install camera in car to identify when the light turns green.
Method: buy a digital video-camera and mount it in the car. Orient the camera to zoom in on the lights. Setup a program that identifies when the picture in the camera has a high green content to automatically start the car.
    Benefits: 1) fast reaction time, 2) no jumping the gun.

  3) Low Rolling Resistance front tires.
    Benefits: Less drag on non-powered tires improves performance.

  That's it!  Am I crazy, or do any of these ideas have merit?

  Thanks,
  Todd Martin
  1997 Solectria Force, FVEAA

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks, Mark - I was coming to somewhat the same conclusion. I don't mind a challenge, but to get 30+ miles out of a light pack in this car seems to me to be a little too much to expect with lead-acid batteries. If he is willing to pay for LI-ions, maybe it is doable?

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

#2, automating your launch, is illegal in drag racing.

Lots of serious drag racers use skinny front wheels for less rolling resistance and less weight. I'm surprised more EVers don't do this for better range.