  1) Re: PFC-20
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: motor wiring
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: FW: motor wiring
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: PFC-20
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: PFC-20
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) k&W BC-20 chargers for sale
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Replacing One Battery
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Brake Rear Pressure Porportioning Valve, TOPIC CHANGE  Zilla
 Tach
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: More Tweety (NmG) fun...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Questions regarding an EV
        by "Mark Karatovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Brake Rear Pressure Porportioning Valve, TOPIC CHANGE  Zilla Tach
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Two motor clarifications [like the killacycle]
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: More Tweety (NmG) fun...
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: PFC-20
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EV Drag Racing Ideas
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Brake Rear Pressure Porportioning Valve, TOPIC CHANGE  Zilla Tach
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Can anyone recommend a machinist in Los Angeles?
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Questions regarding an EV
Hey Rich,
what about just bringing it out towards the face plate a little more.  Not
quite enought to turn it with a fingernail, but enough you can see the slot
looking down at it from a 45 degree angle?

How about having a toggle switch and two set points, "Normal" and "Equalize".
Then you could leave the pots buried way down in there and hard to get at.
Really the only time I need to routinely change the voltage is during the
monthly equalize.

From: Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2007 10:05 am
Subject: Re: PFC-20
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Bob.. not gonna be any down time here... I will turn it in
> minutes... not
> months...
> My promise...
>
> I will set it for 150 volts...
> And send you a pot screwdriver...
>
> Rich Rudman
> Manzanita Micro

Tim,

I put in a few comments....

--- Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your first and second sentences go well together.
>
> I am quite familiar with the GE drive motor. It IS a
> compound wound motor, the series field is wired
> internally, and reversing the shunt field DOES
> reverse the direction of rotation.

Yea, you reverse the polarity on the field, not the
motor.

> Reversing the
> field also weakens the series field.

I'd say the series field weakens the shunt field.
Which is not desirable.  So pulling a heavy load in
reverse will draw a lot of current.

> The reason it
> does this is because the shunt field is much larger
> than the series field. I'm thinking the other motor
> may be the same thing but with a large series field
> and a smaller shunt field.
>
> I realize that in these motors the use of the term
> "shunt field" is probably not accurate.

No, I think that is what it is.

> Should I
> call it the compensation windings?

No, the compensating winding is different.  It is
larger diameter wire in series with the armature but
is through the center of the pole instead of wrapped
around it like a field coil.

> If the comp is
> larger than the series, is it still a comp?

Sounds like you confuse compound with compensating.
The two are separate issues.  Compound means both
series and shunt windings in the same motor,
regardless of the strength of each, or the polarity of
each.  Like your drive motor is cumulative compound in
forward and differential compound in reverse.  Some
compound motors have more shunt, some have more
series.  Compensating windings are similar to
interpoles, but serve a somewhat different function.
Compensating windings are used to counteract armature
distortion and help maintain speed regulation in shunt
motors.

Acutally the drive motor may be a *Shunt Compensated
Winding* instead of a compound motor.  Meaning that
there are no series turns around the poles.  I have
never taken one down that far.  Maybe it is a
compensated compound motor.  Strange.  See what they
had to go through before PWM.  Maybe these guys
looking to build contactor controllers should get into
Elec Traks and see how messy it really is.

I love those old things.

Jeff

> I'm assuming my usage of "larger" or "smaller" in
> term of the fields are meant to indicate "amp turns"
> ratings.
>
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> Stay Charged!
> (still learning) Hump
>

> > Subject: RE: motor wiring
> >

> > Tim,
> >
> > Reversing polarity on a compound motor does not
> cause
> > field weakening and it rotates the same way.
> These GE
> > motors were a strange bunch, in my mind.  Two pole
> > with compensating windings down the ploe face.
> Needed
> > for commutation over wide field range, I guess.
> >
> > Shunt fields would be in the 20 to 50 ohm range,
> > guessing, so 1 or 2 amps.  Series field way less
> than
> > an ohm.
> >
> > Jeff

>Like your drive motor is cumulative compound in
> forward and differential compound in reverse.  Some
> compound motors have more shunt, some have more
> series.

That's the way I understand the ET drive motor to function. You said it much
more clearly than I.

> Acutally the drive motor may be a *Shunt Compensated
> Winding* instead of a compound motor.  Meaning that
> there are no series turns around the poles.

The drive motor will turn with no field connection. This makes me think it is
compound wound and not shunt compensated. It is weak as hell and the RPM's will
continue to rise to some (seemingly)enormous rate. I've never seen one self
destruct though, like everyone here warns of.. Connecting the field greatly
increases torque available, stabilizes the speed, and determines direction of
rotation.  The way I determine if I have the field wired correctly is..... hook
up series only, note direction of rotation, hook up field, direction should be
the same for forward(cumulative) and reversed for reverse(differential). Sound
about right?

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Wow, 1500 Mega candela, and 525 Newtonmetre from a LED. That's
seriously impressive.  ;)

On 5/8/07, Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey I am proud of that 1500 Mcd 525 Nm GREEN LED !!
They cost a bunch !!!

I can't see the slots on the PHEV mod chargers without using a thumb to
block off the LED while dialing in all 4 pots.
There is NO doubt that you can see the AC ON status if the charger is
powered up..
Right????
That's why it so bright...direct sunlight readable....

Or is it I like light sabers... and this is a trial install.

Er....Get the plastic Pot screw driver....

Better yet I got a bunch from Rod at EVParts years ago... somebody has them
in volume.. I need to by a case and ship at least one with every charger...

You don't see me at a Race without one of my Spectrol pot drivers!!! They
also make good hand toys while I am off in Lala land...

madman..
I LIKE BRIGHT LEDs...