  1) Re: PFC-20
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Doin' the math
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EV's on Local Talk Radio
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EVLN(Why is Taiwan not leading the world with EV technology?)
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: ExxonMobil's New Generation of Lithium-Ion Battery Separators
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Battery Help Re: Charging timer
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) 21 DC motors (bulk) on Ebay
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: With all this talk about NiMH .... Is it still legal to build
     sell 120 V / 10 A NiMH Module
  9) RE: With all this talk about NiMH .... Is it still legal to build
     sell 120 V / 10 A NiMH Module
 10) Re: Motor equations
 11) Re: PFC-20
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Doin' the math
 13) Anderson Connector Amp/V Capacity?
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) I'll be in Germany in June, Bill Dube'
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 21 DC motors (bulk) on Ebay
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Motor equations
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Belleville washer details
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
 19) RE: Motor equations
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) More on NiMH
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) FS: never used PFC20 with buck enhancement
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Questions regarding an EV
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Belleville washer details
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Motor equations
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Touch only the pot screw/. It's brass.

touching anything else inside the charger.. like the fan drive FET about 1
inch down, The chips or resistors on the bottom of the controller PCB or the
top of the power pcb is going to short that circuit to the case that is AC
grounded.

It takes quite a bit of hunting around inside the charger to find these
points. This is NOT a common event, about 2 in 6 years of chargers.

The pot adjust slot is supposed to be centered in the blue pannel drilled
hole marked Volts trim.
I suggest you keep it there and bend it back if it gets bumped.

Of course if you have your charger installed so you have to stand on your
head in a rain storm every time you want to trim the votlage... Not messing
up the pot may be a tough thing to do.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Doin' the math
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 9:51:12 -0600

>I just got done with this conversation with a co-worker....
>
>It's funny the way we work things out.
>
>I have done (really rough) estimated total ownership costs.
>
>It's true, 6v GC batts are the cheapest.

        By far they are both the cheapest and most range for
the weight of lead batts if you have 60+ mile range of them.
        If going for only a 10-20 mile range, then because
you would be abusing the batteries, AGM's start looking good
but as it costs about the same as a 60 mile GC bat pack but
you only get 20 mile from the AGM pack. I know which ones
I'm going for!! Once you get in the 100 mile range, GC batts
are easiuly the best. And personally I'd rather put in a
little water occassionally instead of having to throw away
an AGM.

>But then "we" decide we don't want to deal with the hassle
>of maintenance required by flooded lead and we "KNOW" that
>lithium or nickel is more expensive than lead so we load
>our cars up with "maintenance free" Optima's or the like.

      While AGM's MAY not need acid cleanup, easy with just
the spray of a hose, they need much more regulators, more
expensive charger, balancing work and not to mention the
extra cost, time this takes.

>Guess what!

       You found out that for 1/2hr battery work/month ,you
got paid $25/hr in savings Vs an AGM!!! And one should check
even AGM's once a month!!

>Optimas are the MOST EXPENSIVE solution. Almost thrice the
>total cost of lithium; and that's if you do the 5 lifetime
>replacements yourself and put zero value on your time to do
>it.

        Not sure about Lithiums yet as real data will need
yrs to find out in real life, but Ni-cads are easily less
expensive than AGM's, much longer range, with no drop in
power, cap with cold weather.

>Out to 150,000 miles or more "my" estimated cost goes; from
>least to most....  (fixed width font)
>
>Battery      $ per mile
>
>GC's          .08
>Lithium       .09
>NiMH          .10
>Orbital       .11
>NiCad         .21
>Optima        .27

        Not sure how Orbitals were less costly than Optimas?
They are about the same costs. Nor would I bet Li, NiMH be
that low in real life. Lab results are rarely reached in the
real world.

>What "we" really need is what Victor said years ago.... A
>paradigm shift, prepaying for energy. Accept the fact that
>your batteries are a very large portion of your energy cost
>, and not just a storage device. A large upfront cost will
>pay off in the long run. Much like solar, wind etc.

      Or you can buy GC batts at a much less cost and be
cost effective now!!
      But the best way to save on batteries is by having a
real EV low drag, lightweight  glider to start with. By
having a 550-600 lb glider before batteries, you can get
over 100 mile range, low battery cost by needing a much
smaller batt pack, you can have an EV that's is cost
effective vs even an ICE. For them, GC battery cost is more
like $.04/mile
      On AGM's supposedly longer range in conversions, while
it looks like floodeds have more usable amphrs, that only
true at very high amp drains. If one was to lower the drain
in amps, you would find out you still have the cap in the
floodeds, you just can't draw it out in high amp draws. But
by going slower or stopping for a while, you will find as
the charge comes back to the surface of the plates, you can
go farther than AGM's.
       Even good real deep cycle 12v floodeds, if you are in
a low drag lightweight EV, they can do well in range. It's
when you have a too small pack, under 20-25% vehicle vs
battery weight, that they don't work well through abuse.

                                   Jerry Dycus

On Wed, May 9, 2007 1:37 pm, Marty Hewes wrote:
> You may want to mention that in cases like here in Illinois, over half of
>  our electricity production is nuke, and therefore likely has a much
> reduced carbon footprint.  Of course it may just open the door to a
> nuclear waste argument.  Maybe I can claim that I'm driving an atomic car?
>
> Marty

If you want to play around with "what ifs", you can search for "PBS Carbon
Footprint". You can try out different states, and different ICE mileages.
(Offset, presumably, by bumping your kWh figure.)

On Thu, May 10, 2007 10:56 am, bruce parmenter wrote:
> If you don't believe it's possible, take a look at Phoenix
> Motorcars electric trucks (www.phoenixmotorcars.com), the
> electric sports cars from Tesla and Venturi (www.teslamotors.com, and
> www.venturi.fr) and Zap scooters (www.zapworld.com).

Before Tony (and other journalists) tell us to look at "all the cars
available", they might try actually buying/using one. Vaporware isn't any
easier to live with, when it comes from head-in-the-clouds (or head
<elsewhere>) journalists.

...or maybe he is driving a Tesla???

> I never would have guessed they had any involvement
> in batteries... a petroleum link in the batteries?
Exxon is a huge multinational aggregate. It might be easier to list the
things in which they are NOT involved than those in which they ARE
involved. Plastic batteries, plastic grid plates, plastic valves,
plastic caps... all these things come from oil in some form or another.

Unless we build our EVs out of personally-harvested mud, straw, and spit
(I know some of you DRIVE Sparrows, but do they nest?), I imagine they
will have oil-related plastic, fabric, rubber, and etc. I'm not planning
on running knob-and-tube conductors in my EV, so I'm planning to be
quietly appreciative of the plastic insulation on the cables. :p

It is easy to crucify oil, Big Oil, and the automakers, but pretty hard
to live a life entirely without oil in some form or another.

Randii

I can't use Dip SW #2 because 150 minutes isn't enough time to complete a
charge cycle.

I am having this problem now that my batteries are just coming up shy of the
acceptance voltage and I'm having to watch the KillaWatt meter and manually
shut it off after 4-6 hours.

Its time  to run my 6 week equalize charge but I can't even get the voltage up
to Acceptance.  The batteries are not getting significantly hot by the time I
should be at Acceptance.  Is there something other than Thermal Runnaway that
would prevent the battery voltages from rising to at least an acceptance level.
 I refilled water for my 6 week interval.  Battery temps are running 75*F to
90*F.  My pack is twenty Crown CR-225's, 5 months old.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

From: "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I want to put some Belleville washers on my batteries but being
> mechanically challenged, I have some questions.  I know this is a
> simple thing but I don't want to melt a post again... I have Trojan
> T125's with the UT Universal Terminal.  I checked the Fastenal website
> and there's lot of choices...
>
> 1.  Do I get the same size as the nut on the battery post? (5/8")
> 2.  Material:  stainless steel, black steel, or something different?
> 3.  How tight do I tighten them?
> 4.  Does the convex side go against the nut or the battery?
>
> Also, the other day I heard split spring washers mentioned, these seem
> to be different to me. Which is better?
>
> thanks - De
> --
> "That car has some get-up-and go and it don't make no racket."
> -Richard Petty, after driving Shocker, Northhampton East HS's EV Grand
> Prix winner

No.  A PWM controller with battery and motor current limits is not
equivalent to connecting the battery pack or some portion of it to the
motor like a light switch.  The current to the motor is limited and the
voltage to the motor rises as RPMs increase by controlling the amount of
time the full battery pack voltage is connected to the motor.  With a
contactor you get full battery voltage and uncontrolled current so for
starting the contactors only switch in a low voltage to limit the
current to the motor.  As RPMs rise the contactors switch in more
voltage to keep the current and torque up.  The throttle on a PWM
controller essentially controls the current limit up to the preset
limits.

> ...in practice, we tend to limit current and let volts rise with RPM
> until we can't achieve the chosen current?  So we're really operating
> in a straight up and down line at constant torque and increasing HP
> beneath our chosen current point until we hit the point where we're
> back EMF limited and the current drops with further RPM increase?

Is this really the case -- do folks really run a light switch (FLOORED
or not)? If that's the case, then I definitely understand why Jerry
likes his contactor controllers so much!

Randii

Now on e-bay ...

200 Pcs D Size 14000mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
Item number: 110110553501

$1000 for 200 pcs of 14 AH

Basically, $3700 for 735 cells.

105 * 7 = 735

120 V (actually a little higher, but the estra 5 per
string are for correct buffer with AGM), 98 AH.

So, it can be done, and that is less than the
equivilent $ for Optimas.

My car id 220 Wh / mile, so that would be a real world
53 mile range capable for 1000 charge / recharge
cycles.  Thets at least 40 - 50k miles on the pack
....  Makes you think.  Now how much would that cost
in Optimas ...

Steve

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I got the PFC20 when I thought dealing with Pennsylvania motor vehicle code was going to be simpler; turned into a pain.

So I have a new unused never installed buck-enhanced PFC20 for $1800; Let me know if you're interested.

I also have 10 Mk2 (maybe Mk2b, I can check) regs, same deal.

Hello Mark,

> There may be someone local that may be able to do something in
> regards to it, need to go to a demo somewhere. I will take a
> look at that site in the hope of getting an idea on the plates.

Adaptor plates can be made by local machine shops. I had mine made by David
Probin from Prolec Engineering in Castle Hill.

> BTW I live in Western Sydney.

You might like to come along to a meeting of Sydney AEVA. See here for future
meeting details, and also links to some local suppliers:
http://sydneyaeva.googlepages.com

Cheers,
Claudio

I've been wondering the same thing, so I'm glad you
asked. I want to use them for automotive posts though
so I'd imagine they'd end up being tiny.

I did have a chat once with some local EVers about
this issue. One had tons BB600 cells in a Chevy G-Van
with belleville washers on all the connecting bars(he
said the watering took more than a day)and what we
determined was you want the Belleville washer because
it keeps an even downward pressure on the connector no
matter what, and it can expand and contract with the
little bit of thermal expansion and contraction that
does occur. Also, it can allow the terminal to move a
little bit, which is going to happen no matter what.

Considerations, you need the center hole to fit your
nut obviously. The outer diameter you'd want to not be
too large that it doesn't make contact with the post.
You need to get stainless steel as well otherwise
they'll dissolve around the battery acid. Also, the
thickness of the washer is also determinant as to how
much pressure it applies.

So I understand the theory (anyone please correct me
if I'm wrong), I suppose the question is what spec
washer is the common one that is used for EV
application?

I was kind of thinking you'd have to maybe use two
flat washers on either side of the belleville with an
automotive post to get enough tension on it.

As far as how much to tighten them I'd go with
whatever Trojan says for tightness, I believe it's
something like 70 in/lbs, but thats off the top of my
head.

Later,
Rick
92 Saturn SC conversion
AZ Alt Fuel plate "ZEROGAS"

> > Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:49:48 -0400
> From: "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: Belleville washer details
>
> I want to put some Belleville washers on my
> batteries but being
> mechanically challenged, I have some questions.  I
> know this is a
> simple thing but I don't want to melt a post
> again... I have Trojan
> T125's with the UT Universal Terminal.  I checked
> the Fastenal website
> and there's lot of choices...
>
> 1.  Do I get the same size as the nut on the battery
> post? (5/8")
> 2.  Material:  stainless steel, black steel, or
> something different?
> 3.  How tight do I tighten them?
> 4.  Does the convex side go against the nut or the
> battery?
>
> Also, the other day I heard split spring washers
> mentioned, these seem
> to be different to me. Which is better?
>
> thanks - De

Need Mail bonding?

Hi Randii,

That's not quite how I meant it, although with a fairly low power system, that might be about it, and some low cost systems make due that way. What I meant, for example, I suspect I'd try to limit my draw to 400 amps or less for normal driving, so through first gear, I'd pretty much keep the controller at 300 or 350 amps and let the speed climb until I slightly passed the RPM curve on the charts at that current (for the sake of getting decent acceleration without trashing the batteries), then shift to second and do it again. It looks like constant current is better on the batteries than trying to maintain constant acceleration, which would require a lot of current at very low speeds. What I meant by operating in a straight line on the chart was that I think that means I'd be running constant torque with rising RPM, motor voltage, and horsepower until I hit the RPM line. If I get around to drag racing this thing, and I can afford good enough batteries, I'd probably put the Zilla at 900 amps and do pretty much the same thing, if the tires stay hooked up. Either way I'm driving more or less at a constant current, but not necessarily maximum. But I know where you're coming from. I still wonder if I should have just used a 500 amp controller and a bypass contactor. Do you really need incremental control between 500 amps and 1000 amps? With a 4 barrel on an ICE, do you ever have the secondaries half way open? On the other hand, if you can afford a decent 500 amp controller, a 1K Zilla doesn't seem to cost that much more, so I went that way.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>