  1) Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Doin' the math
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: PFC-20
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real? No oops.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV digest 6760
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real? No oops.
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: PFC-20
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Whew, have the PR floodgates been opened! The Car and Driver magazine exposure has really raised EV awareness.

A podcast interview between Vinny of 'Vinny's Garage' and I, will run on alltalkradio.net <http://alltalkradio.net> on Tuesday 5 pm Pacific. Also, it will be on Vinny's website at www.vinnysgarage.com <http://www.vinnysgarage.com>. Since the May issue debuted, I've had what seems to be a constant flow of inquiries from the media and other interested parties:

(1) An LA area production company has proposed a 10 week television show that they want Plasma Boy, Otmar, and Tim Brehm to be part of. It includes high performance electric conversions of some pretty exotic machinery. I'll give more details if this actually works into something real...

(2) The Wall Street Journal has contacted me and we've had our first interview. The story is still not yet solidified, but if it does work out, they'll be out west to cover electric drag racing in the next month or so.

(3) An Arizona based television production crew is coming to Portland this weekend to interview me as part of a special about the Tango and the state of electric cars. This will be a prime time news special for national syndication.

(4) Interview for 'Vinny's Garage' completed yesterday, Thursday.

(5) A well known hi pro aircraft builder is in talks with me about a prototype composite bodied hi pro lithium -AC electric sports car.

The Plasma Boy Racing web page is receiving on average, 11,059 hits a day. The stats page shows hits coming in from countless gasser type web sites, such as Cobra sites, Mustang sites, Import tuner sites, drag racing sites...the list goes on. Suffice it to say, electric performance is being noticed! I never hurts to have Car and Driver magazine describing an electric car's acceleration as 'ferocious' (from C & D's web version photo slide show).

For those who haven't visited the Plasma Boy Racing site for a while, you might want to check out the 2007 version of White Zombie under 'White Zombie History'. The opening photo capture in March by Carol Brown is an excellent launch picture. You can clearly see the G Force drag radials balling-up as they emboss their sticky tread pattern into the asphalt. You can also see Tim tightly clenching the steering wheel, and you can see the passenger cam, too. The left front tire is about 3 inches off the ground while the right one is just lofting the pavement under the high torque-twist of the Siamese 8, this, even after we redesigned things and moved more battery weight forward to just behind the front seat backs to reduce the wheel-standing effect.

One last tantalizing bit. I've given birth to a new name... 'Tri-Zilla'! It's green, and about the size of three Z1Ks stacked end-to-end. #1 is under the aluminum hood of a Honda Insight and is being tested on the streets of Oregon as I write this. A beta version will be in my hands soon that will power-up a 'special' AC motor for a new long range performance project car I've got planned. Only those with the secret Bat Cave number are allowed to know more :-)

See Ya.....John Wayland

On 10 May 2007 at 3:20, Peter VanDerWal wrote:

> ??? do you really expect to be competitive in a drag race and an autocross
> using old starting batteries???

Maybe not >old< ones.  But Back In The Day (tm), say 10-15 years ago, I
remember EV racers using SLI batteries quite frequently.

There are good reasons for this.  SLI batteries are designed for relatively
high specific power, and are available in lots of different sizes.  Granted,
you have to replace them every few races, but they're also a commodity item
and relatively cheap.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

On 10 May 2007 at 9:51, Tim Humphrey wrote:

> Out to 150,000 miles or more "my" estimated cost goes; from least to most....
> (fixed width font)
>
> Battery      $ per mile
>
> GC's          .08
> Lithium       .09
> NiMH          .10
> Orbital       .11
> NiCad         .21
> Optima        .27

I did this calculation many years ago, so the numbers differ now since
materials costs have risen and the dollar has fallen relative to other
currencies.  My predictions reflect just about perfect maintenance, and use
of each battery within its own specifications and limits, so note well that
in a given application not all of the batteries listed below would be
appropriate.  (The "mule" for this situation was my own Solectria Force, and
all the batteries listed except the golf car batteries [USBMC 2200] would
have been appropriate.)

FYI, a very good and valid way of designing an EV is to begin by deciding
what battery suits your needs, then designing the rest of the EV around the
battery.

All that said, here are my figures :

USBMC US2200  -  2 cents per mile

Saft STM5-100MR  -  4 cents per mile

Trojan 27TMH  -  8 cents per mile

Optima G31  -  14 cents per mile

East Penn 8G27  -  20 cents per mile

Most of my costs are a fraction of Tim's.  I'm sure that reflects both
different calculation metods and different costs.  However, it's interesting
that many of the relationships among types are similar.

On 9 May 2007 at 23:07, Joe Smalley wrote:

> A short piece of hose cut to fit between the pot and the panel should do it.

I don't own a Manzanita PFC, but it seems to me that if a piece of hose
would work, a grommet should work even better.  Just drill the hole in the
panel a bit larger.  Yes?  No?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

But it does pose an interesting question, Why is the capacity 6 or 7
times a rechargable lithium cell? Is there that much room for improvement?

I said "Bibliography" of the book. not the book itself. The book quotes
many studies and the full reference of those studies are in the back of
the book: bibliography. You can look them up in any University library.

PR

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

Yes,

DC and varying fields do have eccefts on living organisms. Mainly in
situations where cells are multiplicating. But the problem is that it is
all a matter of dosage. There is a very fine line between normal cell
multiplication and abnormal one. Anything that affects cell
multiplication, be it drug molecules or EM fields can have both a good and
controlled effect or go overboard and cause uncontrolled multiplication.
The body works in a fine tuned way, a perfect balancing act.

Patrick Robin

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

Maybe this isn't that bad. It will be a road going EV? no?

Buy one, make it a plugin hybrid, and fire the fuel cell once a year. If
it gives me trouble, rip it out and turn it into a pure EV.
It is highly probably that it will have a battery pack anyway to help
the fuel cell with horrific voltage sag and to keep the fuel cell size
and thus cost, manageable.

The fuel cell is then replacing the ICE and a gen head, In this area it
can keep par with the ice on emission and effiency while being more
"optional" in it's use.

These intermediary steps may be just what the auto companies and indeed
joe sixpack need to cut the oil umbilical cord. Even if you make the
hydrogen off of petroleum,(NaturalGas) you have abstracted it away from
the individual making it easy to wean them. If the auto companies are
willing to sell an EV under the guise of a fuel cell vehicle so they can
maintain the illusion that everyone needs to be able to drive 240 miles,
fill in 3 min, and drive another 240 miles, Then I will support
that(with EVconversion tools in hand, just think of those gliders with
mass produced electric power steering, brake boosters and dc-dc converters!)

For the experimenters out there-

Some RC Glider folks have successfully used "non-rechargeable" lithium CR2
batteries.  I haven't seen any stats as to how many cycles or capacity with
time, or if folks are still doing it, but for awhile, it was something a few
of us at least were doing.  You had to monitor battery temp and voltage, and
in my case, the capacity didn't seem to be near what the first charge was.

-MT