  1) Re: With all this talk about NiMH .... Is it still legal to build sell 120
V / 10 A NiMH Module
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: PLEASE FIX YOUR EMAIL CLIENTS!
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Doin' the math
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 1-Wire Expertise
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: With all this talk about NiMH .... Is it still legal to  build
 sell 120 V / 10 A NiMH Module
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Contactor Controller Page
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) EVLN(Gonna Electrocute You Sucka, but we like that kind of thing)-long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) EVLN(Th!nk EVs is now entering the production phase)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EVLN(OMU zipping around in a WI parcar nEV)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) EVLN(Sooke Prof. Kerns' Chevy S-10 pickup EV conversion)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 10 May 2007 at 9:10, Steve Powers wrote:

> 100 x 10 A D size cells in a string.  ...
>
> 10 of these = 120 V / 100 A (real world) and would
> give my car a 65 - 75 mile range with about 1000
> charge / discharge cycles.

I don't think there's any legal issue.  It's a matter of licensing.  Cobasys
holds the patents and won't license the manufacture of a cell larger than 10
ah in capacity.  But they can't control what users do with small cells <= 10
ah once they've been manufactured.

That said, I think that yours would have to be a fairly light car for this
to be very successful.  120 volts at 100 amps is only 12 kW.  That's not
much power - probably about 12 hp by the time it gets to the wheels.

I'm not sure you could actually even get that much; strings in parallel
might not always share the current equally.  Some might contribute their
maximum of 10 amps, while others with different internal resistance might
only produce 6 amps.

If the car's very light (1500 lb or so all up) I think that would be
adequate,  though it'd be no drag racer.  In a typical modern small car
weighing upwards of 2500 lb, I'd guess that you'd get performance similar to
that of a '59 VW Beetle - if that.  Ever drive one?  ;-)

For reference, an old Curtis 400 amp controller and a 96v pack of golf car
batteries will deliver ~40 kW.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

On 10 May 2007 at 22:58, Danny Miller wrote:

> I'd like to suggest at least considering that EVDL move to a more
> conventional format.

We've soon switching to Mailman as the listserver software.  Plain text will
still be strongly encouraged, but Mailman is more tolerant of html.

Converting to a forum and other options for the EVDL has / have been
discussed extensively in the past.  Please see the archives for prevailing
views on this issue.

On 11 May 2007 at 10:53, Christopher Robison wrote:

> Though it's obviously less permanent, it's probably better to stick the
> image somewhere and post a link.

This is the "canonical" method for the EVDL.  Most ISPs provide their users
with a few mb of web space, but for many people a file sharing service is
the easy way out.  There are dozens, maybe hundreds, such as yousendit.com,
rapidshare.de, and the like.

Most file sharing services put a limit on the time the file will be retained
unless you pay for a subscription.  If you want the file to be available
essentially forever, email it to me* and I'll post it on evdl.org.
Depending on the nature of the file, I may put up a permanent link to it in
the EVDL library (evdl.org/lib/ ), or may just leave it floating there,
linked only in your EVDL email or mine.  However, anyone finding the link in
the archives 5 years from now should be able to still d/l the file, assuming
I'm still alive (which is pretty likely ;-), and still able to pay the
(nominal) hosting fees for the website.

*To email me stuff, use the address at the bottom of this page :

http://www.evdl.org/help/

On 10 May 2007 at 13:11, Timothy Balcer wrote:

> Also, I was using the 20 Hour rate for both ... I wanted to spend less
> than 5 hours doing the research ...

I hate to say it, but this is completely useless for EV work.  Two batteries
can have similar capacity at 20h but radically different capacity at 1h, and
it's the latter capacity that matters for EV use.  Sorry, you'll need to go
back and do all your calculations over again, using valid numbers.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Timothy Balcer wrote:
Lee,

What do you think of Universal Power Group batteries?

I haven't used them myself, but a couple people on the EV list are. Maybe they will write (or you can check the archives to see who it was, and contact them directly).

>> Why have a computer on every battery? If all he want to do is measure
>> each battery's voltage, all that's needed is a central "box" to
>> measure voltage (could be just a multimeter or analog meter), and the
>> relays to select which battery it measures. If you don't like
>> mechanical relays, use solid state relays.

Victor Tikhonov replied:
I suppose because entire microcomputer (controller with its I/Os, PICs for sure) is cheaper these days than one single mechanical relay, esp.
good one.

Price doesn't matter if it's the wrong part for the job. A nail is cheaper than a screw; but we don't put cars together with nails.

For this application, you need a way to measure an *isolated* voltage. A 1-wire chip, or a micro won't do this. The key part is whatever provides the isolation. I think a relay is the cheapest part that can do this.

How about using a capacitor to store the voltage from any given battery? Switch the capacitor to battery N. Disconnect it (no load, so it holds the voltage). Switch it to your measurement circuit (which draws negligible current so it won't load down the capacitor voltage). Disconnect it, and switch it to battery N+1, etc.

Resistor R1 in series with the capacitor limits the peak charge/discharge current, which will extend relay life. It also filters noise on the battery so you won't get an instantaneous reading based on noise. You could instead use one resistor per battery, in each battery lead, as a fuse if you like.

                     Kodd                K1
                _______/ ________________/ ____
 __________    |   |    R1 >    |   |    K3   ___ battery 2
|         +|___|   |   100 >    |__ | ___/ ____|
|__________|   |   |       |    |   |        __|__+
               |   | Kodd  |    |   |    K5   ___ battery 4
               |   |___/ __|    |__ | ___/ ____|  -
               |           |        |        __|__+
               |     Keven |        |    K6   ___ battery 5
               |_______/ __|________|____/ ____|  -

This circuit has exactly one SPST relay per battery, plus five for the even/odd reversing circuit and the end of the series string of batteries. An SPST reed relay only costs about $0.50, so that's about 50 cents per battery for an isolated measurement.

Now you can use your micro to measure the voltage on the capacitor, and switch all those relays. But you only need *one* of them, not one per battery.

John G. Lussmyer wrote:
What about putting some conductive foam between the batteries to
help spread the conduction area? Even a piece of steel wool (hmm,
don't they make copper wool as well?)

The usual black conductive foam is carbon based, and fairly high resistance. That wouldn't work.

There are woven metal "rope" materials and "finger" stock (springy flat sheet metal parts) intended for RFI/EMI shielding and gasketing. They can provide a reasonably low resistance connection.

But the primary problem is that good electrical connections between materials requires a high pressure per square inch; high enough to break through the oxide films and whatever dirt, oil, water, or other contamination is present. If you only have X ounces of total force, this usually means shaping your contacts so the force is concentrated in a very small area, so the psi is high. But with a small area, the current rating is low.

You can plate the contacts with gold; it requires the least force for a given current.

You could weld some sort of high-pressure terminal onto the ends of each cell, like a 0.25" quick-connect or nut and screw that thread together.

--- Begin Message --- I think a BAD "few shoots" EV drag race competitor can be done for 2007$ ...but for this budget forget autocrossing more than 2 miles.

for a 240V1000A EV

20 Junk yard selected (charged then loadtested) SLI battery (200$)
junked second hand 9" forklift motor + battery/motor wiring (300$)
home made hub adapter directely soldered to transmission flywheel (some free junked metal) copper bars + power resistors connected to motor by a lever as powerfull controller, think about a boat speed lever (150$, copper is expensive...)
600A heinman breaker as fuse and disconnect security (50-100$ ebay)
1000A shunt 50mV with 100mV panel meter (for 2000amp reading) (50$)
300V panel Voltmeter (15$)

...there is still some bucks left to purchase a donor  :^)

Cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait du volant, quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>