  1) Re: RE, 48 volt motor
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Shave My Adapter?
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EBEAA Meeting - this Saturday, May 19, 2007 10-12 in Alameda
        by Ed Thorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Shave My Adapter?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Current Limit on ye-ol Curtis PMC 25
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Charging timer
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: AGNS has new motors
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: John Wayland Interview Podcast on Vinnie's Garage
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Electric fork lift hydraulic pumps?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Rapid-fire pulse brings Sandia Z method closer to goal of high-yield
fusion reactor
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Electric fork lift hydraulic pumps?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric fork lift hydraulic pumps?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Electric Power Steering
        by "Martin Winlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) EV discussion on Ask Technocrat
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Electric Power Steering
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Electric Power Steering
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Shave My Adapter?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Howdy,

My E-Porsche 914 (1974') clutch doesn't release and I was wondering if the VW bug adapter I bought is too thick and by how much OR if the bug clutch disc & pressure plate are the wrong dimensions (thickness) for the Porsche. Does anyone, Mike Brown etc know the dimensional differences between the bug & Porsche clutch from that era? ( It appears the throwout bearing isn't traveling all the way before the arm bottoms out on the exit casing). It's like clutchless shifting right now (crunchy between gears).

Also I was curious about what brake pads have the best cooefficient of friction. There's a lot of BS in the brake pad world. I was told that organic Mintex pads were better than metalic but don't see any friction rating numbers just various "heavy duty", "titanium" and other meaningless claims. Iv'e done this brake pad change thing before and it usually is just an exercise in futility. I did find from my shop manual that my poor braking is probably due to the rusty discs and they should be turned which I'm doing today. I have the 17mm master cylinder instead of the 19mm for less braking effort but I could probably use the bigger rear pistons that were used on the heavier 6-cyl version. I removed the rear pressure regulator like Otmar did which usually helps.

Have a renewabler energy day,
Stop by the June 3-7 WindExpo in LA,
Mark E. Hanson
Roanoke, VA

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
*********START OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT***********
Topic: Upgrading a conversion
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2007
Time: 10 am to 12 noon.
Site: Alameda First Baptist Church
      1515 Santa Clara Ave, Alameda
Visitors welcome, open to the public.

Over the years, many people get their first
experiences with existing EVs, whether limited
produciton vehicles or conversions done by themselves
or others. As technology improves, so do the various
componients used in the EV. The major improvement has
been the controllers used to modulate power between
the battery pack and the motor, to improve
performance, control, efficiency and dependability.

This month we have a hands-on project where we will be
upgrading a 1974 Aurenthetic mini motorcycle from its
original contactor controller to a Curtis PMI
controller. This requires some rewiring, changing of
componients, adding a DC converter, upgrading
instrumentation and other minor details. Since this is
a small vehicle with only a 24v pack, it should be a
realtively easy and straight-forward upgrade process.

EVs will be on-hand and informal Q&A can take place in
the parking lot after the meeting.

Upcoming events:
June 23 meeting - battery watering system and guest
appearance of a tZero.
July 4 - Alameda Independence Day parade.

See you there.

http://www.ebeaa.org

*********END OF MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT***********

____________________________________________________________________________________Get
 the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.

Hello Mark,

The same thing happen to me, that adapter plate was too thick and the
flywheel was thinner than normal.  Also the transmission pilot shaft did not
go all the way through the motor coupler and inserted into the motor shaft,
and the Warp 9 motor was 5/8 inch longer than my GE-11 motor, which push
back the motor from the normal position.

The reason why the transmission input shaft does not go all the way through
the motor coupler, is because the small diameter motor couplers are use to
fit the later flywheels  and the inside diameter of the taper lock is too
small for the transmission shaft to go through.

This whole assembly is install in a blow proof reinforce bell housing that
is also 1/4 longer than normal.

Therefore the clutch pushrod was too short, so I had to make a new one out
of a grade 8 bolt which I screw on a rod end.  The clutch still would barely
release if I push the clutch peddle all the way to the floor.

This is cause by the thinner flywheel, making the pressure plate too far
from the surface of the throw out bearing.  The throw out bearing that came
with the kit, was a short one, which allow too much travel to the face of
the pressure plate, so I exchange it for a long throw out bearing, which
improve it some.

I found that the two piece adapter plate, where one section is 3/4 thick and
the other section is 2 inches which made it 2.75 inches thick, could have
been 2.00 thick overall.

I am going back to the large flange motor adapter that is large enough for
the transmission shaft to go into the motor shaft and has a alignment pin
for centering the coupler.

> My E-Porsche 914 (1974') clutch doesn't release and I was wondering if the
> VW bug adapter I bought is too thick and by how much OR if the bug clutch
> disc & pressure plate are the wrong dimensions (thickness) for the
> Porsche.
> Does anyone, Mike Brown etc know the dimensional differences between the
> bug
> & Porsche clutch from that era? ( It appears the throwout bearing isn't
> traveling all the way before the arm bottoms out on the exit casing).
> It's
> like clutchless shifting right now (crunchy between gears).
>
> Also I was curious about what brake pads have the best cooefficient of
> friction.  There's a lot of BS in the brake pad world.  I was told that
> organic Mintex pads were better than metalic but don't see any friction
> rating numbers just various "heavy duty", "titanium" and other meaningless
> claims.  Iv'e done this brake pad change thing before and it usually is
> just
> an exercise in futility.  I did find from my shop manual that my poor
> braking is probably due to the rusty discs and they should be turned which
> I'm doing today.  I have the 17mm master cylinder instead of the 19mm for
> less braking effort but I could probably use the bigger rear pistons that
> were used on the heavier 6-cyl version.  I removed the rear pressure
> regulator like Otmar did which usually helps.
>
> Have a renewabler energy day,
> Stop by the June 3-7 WindExpo in LA,
> Mark E. Hanson
> Roanoke, VA

> Catch suspicious messages before you open them-with Windows Live Hotmail.
> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You do not need an extra tap for an Alltrax AXE controller. The reference in the manual to this is simply a way to program the controller on the bench. It shows you how to hook up enough power to turn on the microprocessor so you can talk to it with your PC.

damon

On Altraxing a Electrac, I'm not sure IF the Alltrax controller NEEDS an 18volt feed?When ya strip out ALL the trax wiring and start anew, do ya need
a tapoff for the CONTROLLER, as well as the lift motor?I saw the testing
diagram, in the instructions about programing it with 2 9 volt batteri in
series. Makes ya wonder?

   Seeya

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
The cutback is proportional to the voltage.

Bill Dennis

Mike Willmon wrote:
Is the voltage feedback on Pin 2 of the RegBus connector a proportional
control? meaning does it cut back proportionally to what
voltage is seen on pin 2? Or is it an On/Off function?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

From: "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Electric fork lift hydraulic pumps?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:45:46 -0500

I see a lot of guys are using fork lift motors for propulsion, what do electric fork lifts use for hydraulic pumps for steering and lifting? I know my ICE forklift uses an ICE driven power steering pump. Are there some surplus electric steering pumps going to waste?

Marty

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507
Marty,

There are a lot of varities of forklifts, so a varity
of systems.  Common is a 5 to 6.5 inch diameter PM or
compound motor running a pump for steering and
accessories like tilt, sideshift, reach, etc.  Then
the main mast cylinder is powered by a larger pump on
a 6.5 to 9 inch diameter sereis (sometimes compound)
motor.  The pump motors are designed to run at battery
voltage, ie. 24, 36 or 48V.  The larger pump motors
are suitable for EV traction if you can get coupled to
them, most have internal splines.  The power steer
motors probably go to waste due mostly to mechanical
coupling problems.  Not much good unless you want to
run a pump at design voltage for about 1 or 2 hp.

Jeff

--- Marty Hewes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I see a lot of guys are using fork lift motors for
> propulsion, what do
> electric fork lifts use for hydraulic pumps for
> steering and lifting?  I
> know my ICE forklift uses an ICE driven power
> steering pump.  Are there some
> surplus electric steering pumps going to waste?
>
> Marty

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/

Try... http://www.electrofit-zapi.com/hfelecpowsteer.htm

MW

FYI, this page turned up on my Google EV search:

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/5/14/19848

Might be worth a look and the occasional comment from the folks here, though
it looks like the host has lined up a fairly impressive set of experts
already.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Marty Hewes wrote:
How about for street use, with a string of caps in parallel with GC batteries? It might just be a way to get 1K amps for the first few seconds without toasting the batteries?

The idea has merit, but I don't think this particular combination would work very well.

When you first start out, the battery current won't be anything close to 1000 amps; it will be 100-200 at most. That's because the controller is stepping the voltage down, and thus current up, into the initially stopped motor. Even a Zilla producing 2000 motor amps won't draw over 200 battery amps initially. Golf cart batteries don't have any problem supplying this kind of current; so the capacitors provide no benefit.

As the motor speeds up, its voltage rises, so the battery current goes up (assuming the controller is in current limit). The battery current *gradually* rises, which is not a good situation for having the capacitors supply it. So, the batteries will still supply most of it.

For the capacitors to provide a strong benefit, you would need to use exceptionally low-resistance capacitors with exceptionally high-resistance batteries. For instance, the capacitors would help when the golf cart batteries are almost dead, because their internal resistance will be so much higher.

Or, you could use a separate controller or DC/DC converter for the batteries and capacitors. This way you can control which one supplies the current. The one for the batteries would have to allow for the large voltage change versus state of charge for the capacitors.

--- Begin Message --- I use the ZTA's all the time. They are rather pricey but do exactly what they profess.
I keep several in stock.

Shawn Llawless