  1) Re: Solar boat completes Atlantic crossing - Green Machines -
     MSNBC.com
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Solar powered craft
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: AGNS has new motors
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Charging timer
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Solar boat completes Atlantic crossing - Green Machines -
MSNBC.com
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Shave My Adapter?
 12) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: LTC - Lithium Technology Corp. Lithium batteries
 15) RE: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Permanent magnet motor question
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> Not to diss this guy, but had he a clipper ship, or just a good SAIL
> boat, cat, if you will, he woulda been here MONTHS ago. Or I believe a 12
> day sailing record STILL stands, not sure if it was a clipper or fancy
> Catamaran? I think ROWING guyz have made better time?

A British four-man crew set a world record for rowing across the Atlantic,
crossing the ocean in 39 days to win the Atlantic Rowing Race on Sunday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/rowing/4576918.stm

Peyron and his crew took four days eight hours and 23 minutes 54 seconds
to sail from New York to Cornwall.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/sailing/5156492.stm

...but the point was he could do it at all. (Kontiki sailed it quicker.)

Can you fit 3kW of panels on a boat that small?

On Mon, May 14, 2007 6:08 pm, GWMobile wrote:
> Fwded
>

> Subject: Gravitational Propulsion,  Re: Group Update, Solar Powered
> Craft, Security concerns.
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:16:22 -0000
>

> This is just to announce that the solar powered craft mentioned in the
> below post has made the journey and actually proved the great potential of
> use of solar power in ocean going vessels, Here is a link to a news story
> about the voyage;
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18571845/
>

> Also if you go to the link below about the craft there are new updates
> that bring all up to speed on this story. This is a proof of concept that
> points in many directions, on Earth, and hopefully on into space as well,
> as the conversion of electrical energy into propulsive force in space is
> demonstrated. Wonderful. The Sun shines on us all. The best things in life
> are free...
>
> Mystery B-)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The battery current draw for a drag race can be roughly modeled as a ramp with plateau.

If you do the calculations, you will very quickly discover that good quality AGM lead-acid batteries, like Hawker Genisys batteries, are far better than any capacitor on the market for drag racing. They are also a lot less expensive. It is all about W/kg and W-hrs/kg. You need some of both.

Do the calculation and you will see for yourself. The caps (of all types and brands) just don't have the specific energy needed to get to the end of the track. Only very few (if any in reality) have as much specific power as A123 Systems cells (~4,000 W/kg when heated).

        Bill Dube'

At 02:12 PM 5/15/2007, you wrote:
Why would the controller be stepping down the voltage when you are launching at full-throttle? It is just at this point that the battery voltage sags trying to deliver all its amps, and when the caps will provide the boost in volts and amps.

I agree that the caps must have low resistance, there are many high-capacity caps that are not designed for high-current and have high resistance. I didn't look at the audio caps, but the 400F Ness caps I mentioned have only 3.8Mohm.

Jack

Lee Hart wrote:
Marty Hewes wrote:

How about for street use, with a string of caps in parallel with GC batteries? It might just be a way to get 1K amps for the first few seconds without toasting the batteries?

The idea has merit, but I don't think this particular combination would work very well. When you first start out, the battery current won't be anything close to 1000 amps; it will be 100-200 at most. That's because the controller is stepping the voltage down, and thus current up, into the initially stopped motor. Even a Zilla producing 2000 motor amps won't draw over 200 battery amps initially. Golf cart batteries don't have any problem supplying this kind of current; so the capacitors provide no benefit. As the motor speeds up, its voltage rises, so the battery current goes up (assuming the controller is in current limit). The battery current *gradually* rises, which is not a good situation for having the capacitors supply it. So, the batteries will still supply most of it. For the capacitors to provide a strong benefit, you would need to use exceptionally low-resistance capacitors with exceptionally high-resistance batteries. For instance, the capacitors would help when the golf cart batteries are almost dead, because their internal resistance will be so much higher. Or, you could use a separate controller or DC/DC converter for the batteries and capacitors. This way you can control which one supplies the current. The one for the batteries would have to allow for the large voltage change versus state of charge for the capacitors.

From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:12:34 -0700

Why would the controller be stepping down the voltage when you are launching at full-throttle?

That's because ( as Lee said) the motor voltage is very low. Since the motor is stopped ( or turning very slowly) the back EMF is very low, so even a low voltage at the motor terminals results in very high current ( and, very high torque).

The controller keeps the motor voltage low so as to stay within its current limit.

Phil Marino

Lee Hart wrote:
Marty Hewes wrote:

[...]

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- "to stay within its current limit", so why do you build a dragster that has a current limit and needs to be throttled down.
You should then use multiple motors to multiply the current.
Basically what I hear you and Bill saying is that we are optimizing our drag cars to use batteries, when in fact you can go faster if you optimize them to use caps. Now caps are of course relatively very expensive, but on the other hand, they should last 10-100 times longer than the abused expensive batteries currently being used.

One thing about power, is that at the end of a 1/4 mile any power left in the batteries has been wasted. Unless you are draining 100% of them during the run, there is room for improvement.

Jack Murray

From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:12:34 -0700

Lee Hart wrote:

Marty Hewes wrote:

[...]

There appear to be some basic misconceptions about drag racing here.

There is a traction limit. It is easy to get to the traction limit at launch. If you go beyond the traction limit, the tire spins and you get LESS acceleration. Thus, you need to control current (torque) quite carefully during the launch.

As you go down the strip, your ideal would be to hold constant current (max possible torque matching the available traction) for as long as you are able to do so. At some point, you reach the maximum HP (volts times amps) that the battery pack can produce. You then do your best to stay at (or near) the maximum HP output of the battery pack.

You do the series/parallel switch to extend the dynamic range of the controller. If you had a higher-voltage input for the controller, you would arrange the battery pack for that higher voltage and just stay in series. Conversely, if you had a larger current limit for the controller, you would just start out in parallel and dump twice the current out of the controller, half going to each motor. A series/parallel contactor is lighter (and cheaper) than a second controller.

The series/parallel switch gives you more area under the HP curve. It gives you two max HP peaks instead of just one.

        Bill Dube'

From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:12:34 -0700

Lee Hart wrote:

Marty Hewes wrote:

[...]

The way I see it is that the current to the motor needs to be controlled
for traction and to distribute the energy over the length of the run so
that there is enough voltage left at the top end to generate HP need to
keep accelerating.  If you were to dump the caps directly on the motor
most likely something will break if not traction, the driveline and
there will be nothing left at the top end.  me

Phil Marino wrote:

>> From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
>> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:12:34 -0700
>>
>> Why would the controller be stepping down the voltage when you are
>> launching at full-throttle?
>

> That's because ( as Lee said) the motor voltage is very low.  Since
> the motor is stopped ( or turning very slowly) the back EMF is very
> low, so even a low voltage at the motor terminals results in very high

> current ( and, very high torque).
>
> The controller keeps the motor voltage low so as to stay within its
> current limit.
>
> Phil Marino
>

>> It is just at this point that the battery voltage sags trying to
>> deliver all its amps, and when the caps will provide the boost in
>> volts and amps.
>>
>> I agree that the caps must have low resistance, there are many
>> high-capacity caps that are not designed for high-current and have
>> high resistance.  I didn't look at the audio caps, but the 400F Ness
>> caps I mentioned have only 3.8Mohm.
>>
>> Jack

>>> The idea has merit, but I don't think this particular combination
>>> would work very well.
>>>
>>> When you first start out, the battery current won't be anything
>>> close to 1000 amps; it will be 100-200 at most. That's because the
>>> controller is stepping the voltage down, and thus current up, into
>>> the initially stopped motor. Even a Zilla producing 2000 motor amps
>>> won't draw over 200 battery amps initially. Golf cart batteries
>>> don't have any problem supplying this kind of current; so the
>>> capacitors provide no benefit.
>>>
>>> As the motor speeds up, its voltage rises, so the battery current
>>> goes up (assuming the controller is in current limit). The battery
>>> current *gradually* rises, which is not a good situation for having
>>> the capacitors supply it. So, the batteries will still supply most
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> For the capacitors to provide a strong benefit, you would need to
>>> use exceptionally low-resistance capacitors with exceptionally
>>> high-resistance batteries. For instance, the capacitors would help
>>> when the golf cart batteries are almost dead, because their internal

>>> resistance will be so much higher.
>>>
>>> Or, you could use a separate controller or DC/DC converter for the
>>> batteries and capacitors. This way you can control which one
>>> supplies the current. The one for the batteries would have to allow
>>> for the large voltage change versus state of charge for the
capacitors.

> Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You'll love Windows Live
> Hotmail.
> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_mi
> gration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Not sure about the magnets. Peak amps were down but peak volts were up when the grilling occurred. Regardless, it is much better to have a flame out on 2 motors instead of 8 or 12. Will 180 bat volts fry the Perms? I haven't decided yet where to set max power tomorrow. I think the Electropolitan is headed out with us to Thompson to try and reclaim the 96 volt SC record. Bill, I'll be sure to use use my Listerine but get used to my breath on your neck. AGNS is coming.........

Shawn