  1) Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Electric Power Steering
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Charging timer
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Permanent magnet motor question
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Drag Racing tech. Comments WAS Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Solar boat completes Atlantic crossing - Green Machines -
MSNBC.com
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) belly pan plastic
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Zivan DC/DC
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
A permanent magnet DC motor is just like a shunt motor with a fixed field.
It is not as well matched to traction as a series motor and it is not as
versatile as a separately excited motor.

The permanent magnet motor tries to run at a constant speed proportional to
armature voltage.  You cannot field weaken, and it will not run above base
speed.  It does have an efficiency benefit since the field is not powered,
but overall efficiency in a traction application may or may not be as good
as a wound field motor.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 16:55:22 -0700 (PDT), Frank John wrote

_______
> Get your own web address.

--- Begin Message --- A transmission has weight and the parts spin. These things slow you down on the drag strip.

Again, just do a few basic calculations. You will discover that caps just can't provide the watt-hrs/kg that you need to get to the end of the drag strip. Batteries out-perform caps in both specific power and specific energy.

Indeed, it is best if you can stay at the traction limit at the beginning and not worry so much about later on. Easier said than done, however.

        Bill Dube'

At 04:58 PM 5/15/2007, you wrote:
Well, if you had unlimited energy in zero weight batteries, then you'd want to stay right on the brink of breaking loose the whole way. In practice, I think it would require a continuously variable transmission to keep the RPM under control to get anywhere close to that point. But is there such a thing as a battery pack that can dump that much wattage anyway? Certainly caps alone would be dropping their voltage much faster than the equivelent voltage in batteries, since there is no flat spot in the discharge curve, so you'd have to be actually pulling the RPM down with reduced gear reduction as the cap voltage dropped? Either that or you need a trick controller/inverter that can put out more voltage than it sees from the caps, which I believe is the equivelent of an electrical CVT.

I think if the available energy is limited, you want to expend it as early as possible within the bounds of traction. Who cares if you're only coasting at the end, at 100+ MPH :). The sooner you can put wattage to the pavement, the higher your average speed will be, and the sooner you'll get there. This seems to be pretty common in EV racing, looking at the 1/8 mile speed and the 1/4 mile speed, it looks like most of the accelerating is done pretty early, before back EMF kills you, which I would think would happen earlier with caps.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:56:01 -0800

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
Marty wrote:

You're really not limited by the motor horsepower capability so much as what the
batteries can put out,

If that's the case then.  If I had a 60 pack just like John's, and the
big Z2K, what's the ideal motor setup(available DC, can be multiple
motors)?

Al,  I know several EV owners that have solar panels.  Their power is "free"
at least some of the time.  I suppose it would be more practical in Arizona
than N.J.

Solar panels take about 10 years to pay back when compared to present
electrical rates.  The pay back when compared to present (and near future?)
gasoline cost is much quicker.  I plan to have solar panels on my next EV
which will be a small pick up.  I calculate that I can add about one mile of
range for every good hour of sunshine while parked at work.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Well Asure Dynamics is still around producing stuff like hybrid drives and they have the controller and motor on there website. Wouldn't the people at Electro Automotive be able to provide support?... anyway I set an email asking that very question to EA today.

But yah I am not quite sure what to do at the moment.

Tehben

From: Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:56:01 -0800

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the DMOC445?
How many parameters can you adjust for stuff like regen etc. with software on a computer or whatever?

I think I might end up going with it because the Siemens stuff from metric mind is so much more expensive.. especially the motors and i think he said that they only sell the controller with a motor.

Still not sure what to do.

I do live in Alaska so over heating the motor is not as much a problem as say Florida or Southern California. Even though the water cooled system would be nice for heating the cabin.

Tehben

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en- us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507

I'll take a stab.

First keep this point in mind. A motor is a generator and a motor at the
same time. The torque is a result of the current that is generated by
the difference of these two voltages and the motors reactance(resistance
for us dc guys)

A series motor has the same current in the field and armature (hince the
term series) Since torque is proportional to amps the series motor shows
a squared curve because when they both contribute they contribute almost
equally

T| *
O| *
r|  *
Q|  *
U|   *
E|    *
 |      * *
 |__________*****_
 0            max      rpm

When the series motor starts to get to that point were the voltage
generated is preventing any more current to flow, we can weaken the
field by putting a resistor accross it. This allows there to be a
difference and more current flows allowing extended rpm operation. If
this field shorts or goes open and the voltage goes to zero the rpm goes
to infinity if there is no load "Bammm!" Even if the field is intact,
removing the load on a series motor can end in a disaster as the field
naturally goes to zero as the rpm's climb.

In a PM or a shunt motor the field is fixed so the contribution is
limited on the small end and held up a little in the middle

r|*
Q|  *
U|    *
E|      *
 |        *
 |__________*_
 0            max      rpm

The field can't increase so low end torque is not as dramatic, the field
is stronger when normally the series would of dropped more and the field
can't become disconnected or if the load is removed the rpm goes to the
match point and stays there.

Magnets are like a wire, they have two components that can be thought of
as voltage and current. The density of the field and how far it reaches.

Ferrite magnets have low density and medium reach and reverse easily at
elevated magnetic field and heat
neobidium-iron have very high density, small to medium reach and much
higher resistance to reversing or heat than ferrite
Samrium-Cobolt have high density, close but not as good as
Neobidium-iron, but they can handle a much higher reversing field and
temperature.

most permanent magnet motors we can get use ferrite or the "ceramic"
variation
Servo's use the neobidium and military and high-end servos use
samrium-cobolt.

From: Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:56:01 -0800