  1) Re: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by Mike Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Charging timer
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Here are the calculations. (was: Using Audio Capacitors
  for  Dragsters)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Shave My Adapter?
        by Mike Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) O.T. Water-fueled engine appears on the horizon
        by Dennis Foulke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by "Dustin Stern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) article: A123 announces PHEV auto-class battery system
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
        by "midiguy732" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) AGNS Rained Out
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) DON'T RESPOND : O.T. Water-fueled engine appears on the horizon
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by "Eidson, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: belly pan plastic
        by DM3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Odyssey Batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Dicover Batteries
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fallbrook CVT
        by "chad plantenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: EVLN(USE BASIC WOODWORKING SKILLS TO CONSTRUCT YOUR VERY OWN EV)
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: belly pan plastic (Coroplast notes & tips)
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: belly pan plastic
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by "chad plantenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
This is definately NOT the case now.

I asked about driving my tach, and within days had the proper parameter file for my controller (it's changed since 2005 at least) and the logon info for their ftp site, where I was able to download the documentation and the exe to change the parameters. My advice: try again...

You will need a 232 cable, they want an awful lot for it, I just ordered the pins from Mouser Electronics and made my own. The AMP part number is in the docs, and my controller had the housing in the connector (AMP-Seal) to keep water out.

Mike Scott in SJ, CA  Got Juice?

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
I don't know about now, but back when they were Solectra I asked them
about changing the programming on one of their controllers and charger. I
owned the controller & charger, I was going to pay them to change the
programming (it was setup for a special LiIon project with canbus)

Email: no response
Called them up: told me to email them
Email: no response
Called them again: told me they didn't know why I didn't get a response,
but would forward it to their tech folks and I would get a response right
away.  No response
Emailed again: no response
Called again: asked for my email address and promised a response within
the week.  No response

I gave up.

Chris Tromley wrote:

> I think the simplest way to handle this is to have a basic total-time
> timer upstream of the charger and continue to use the
> start-on-acceptance timer mode in the PFC.  You still get proper
> charging every time.  You set the AC-in timer for something longer
> than your maximum charge time (determined experimentally).  If a
> thermal runaway occurs it will be stopped before any significant
> damage can be done.
>
> I'm going to get the McMaster-Carr mechanical timer.  It's the only
> one I've found that doesn't care what voltage goes through it and can
> handle the current draw.  BTW, this timer has contacts rated at 28 A.

I see three possible approaches/solutions, each of which have pros and
cons:

-mechanical timer (e.g. McMaster Carr 7672K56 ($74, 28A, 0-12hr)).  Pro
is that if AC is interrupted while the timer is running, it resumes
rather than resets when AC is restored.  Disadvantage of either is that
the user must manually set/start the timer each time the vehicle is
plugged in or else the charger will either not start, or will turn off
prematurely.

-electro-mechanical timer (e.g. McMaster Carr 7037K15 ($57, 40A,
0-24hr).  Pro is that if AC is interrupted while the timer is running,
it resumes rather than resets when AC is restored.  Advantage of the
7037K15 24hr timer is that it can be set to delay the start of charge,
as well as to limit the max charge duration.  Disadvantage is that the
user must manually set/start the timer each time the vehicle is plugged
in or else the charger will either not start, or will turn off
prematurely.

- delay relay (e.g. <http://www.electrodepot.com/a4758.htm> or
<http://www.electrodepot.com/a4160.htm> (12,24VDC, 120-240VAC, 10A,
$80), or <http://www.magnecraft.com/products/e104_sec4_pg06-07_821.pdf>
(24-240VAC/DC, 15A, 0.1-10hr, [EMAIL PROTECTED]), or McMaster Carr p/n 7801K51
(24-240VAC/DC, DIN rail mount 1-10hr/10-100hr delay relay, $30)).  If
the native current capability (10-15A) is sufficient, one of the
universal 24-240VAC/DC input units is a self-contained solution.  If
not, use the delay relay to control a heavier-duty relay (e.g. Digikey
PB299-ND, 40A, $10), and use a universal input 24VDC adapter (e.g.
<http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1616>,
$30) to power the delay relay and the coil of the heavy-duty relay.  The
pro of this setup is that it is completely automatic; each time AC is
applied, the heavy duty relay is energised by the delay relay and after
the preset max charge time the heavy duty relay is turned off,
interrupting power to the charger.  The con is that the delay relay will
restart, rather than resume, timing after an AC outage.

--- Begin Message --- Actually, it isn't the high discharge rates per se that reduce the cycle life. It is the elevated temperatures that occur during the cycle life tests when you do the high-rate discharges.

The elevated temperatures really cut into the cycle life. We were discussing that at the track with the A123 Systems engineers. We hold the pack at 75 C all day when we are at the track, so this will reduce the cycle life by a factor of about 10X. We will only get about 1,000 50% DOD cycles. Considering that we discharge about 10% DOD, this means we will only get somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 full-power runs down the strip out of a battery pack. This is only 5 or 10 years for the typical weekend bracket race car. Then again, if we were bracket racing, we would not bother to heat the pack. We would just set our dial-in a bit higher.

By the way, there were several folks that had fundamental misunderstandings about drag racing. Most people think that you need lots of HP at the start, and very little at the end. This is completely the opposite of what is really happening. When you are running an ICE, it makes no difference if this is what you think because it doesn't matter. When you are running electric, however, it makes all the difference in the world.

If you mistakenly think that you need lots of HP in the beginning, and very little later on, this would lead you to believe that capacitors will be a good choice for a power source.

        Bill Dube'

At 05:50 PM 5/16/2007, you wrote:
look, bill, all was fine until you made some crack about not knowing about drag racing, that is insulting, you are better than that.

I see that indeed the A123 cells are more powerful per kg than the 400F Ness caps I provided a link to. But lets also acknowledge that the A123 cells are a recent significant improvement in batteries, and that caps will continue to advance as well. So making a statement that caps aren't the best choice for drag racing isn't something I would go on record with. If you take into account that the lifetime of A123 cells at these 30C discharge rates compared to currently available caps, then using even todays caps might very well be the "best" choice if not the ultimate in performance, and it may very well be the best choice to boost performance in a road car, if they allow you to avoid the life-killing high discharge rates used with the batteries to accelerate.

Jack Murray

Bill Dube wrote:
I went to the Ness website and browsed the ultra capacitors to see where the current specs were these days. Under very gentle discharge, ultra caps have a specific energy in the range of 2 to 5 Watt-hours/kg. (This will be much lower under high discharge. You won't get even half of that at max power.) Here are a few comparisons:
AGM lead-acid ~ 30 W-hr/kg
NiCads ~ 45 W-hr/kg
Li-Ion FePo ~ 110 W-hr/kg
Now you are getting a glimpse at the problem. (This is why the folks using caps pushed the car to the starting line, by the way.) It takes at least 500 Watt-hours to get the KillaCycle to make a fast run down the strip. This is about how much energy it takes to get a 619 lb bike with a 135 lb driver to cover the 1/4 mile in the 8's. This does not include the burn out, the trip to the starting line, or the trip back to the pits. This weight assumes your ultra caps weigh just 161 lbs. If you use the least-powerful ultra caps that have the most energy per kg, and you (incorrectly) assume that you will be able to extract the total maximum specific energy from them, the pack will weigh a minimum of 100 kg = 220 lbs. This is about 60 lbs heavier than the present pack. Oops! The bike goes much slower because it weighs more AND is has much less available HP. Let's fix the HP problem. If you were to select capacitors that are more powerful, (on par with A123 cells) the specific energy would drop to 2 (or less.) This boosts the cap pack weight to 500/2 = 250 kg = 550 lbs! Oops! The bike goes even slower, not faster. As we discussed in a previous note, you can't get all the available energy out of a pack of caps at the drag strip because the drag racing discharge curve is "upside down" from what the caps are able to deliver. You need about _twice_ the weight in caps to deliver some sort of HP at least half-way down the track. This pushes the pack weight up even more! As the pack weight grows, this boosts the vehicle weight, which boosts the HP and energy requirements in proportion. It is a losing proposition. It just won't work. Ultra caps are not the best choice for drag racing. This is obvious if you just do a few simple calculations. You don't even need to do the more detailed calculations because the numbers are so bad, even making wildly optimistic assumptions.
    Bill Dube'
    "Nuff said"?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Not sure about the thickness, but the center mounting bolts are completely different, unless you have a VW Type 4 taper hub. The main difference between the 914 clutch and a (Type 1) VW clutch is the diameter, the 914 has a 215mm clutch that only fits the 914 flywheel, Type 1 VW's maxed out at 200mm. To use the 914 clutch you will need the 914 flywheel and the proper taper lock hub to fit it.

You probably already have a working clutch once you slide the taper lock hub to put the flywheel closer to the throwout bearing. You want to end up with a little free play at the clutch shaft in the forward direction as possible. I'm assuming you have a hub that can slide of course...

Mike Scott in SJ, CA  Got Juice?

Mark Hanson wrote:
Thanks Peter & Roland,

Thanks for your help. I'll look at Rolland's suggestions of what he did which I appear to have the similar problem. A Porsche guy is selling me a 914 clutch setup for $420 (and frame stiffener for $320 for the floppy frame) so that should keep me busy next week welding again & changing the clutch. He thought the Porsche clutch plate/disk & throuwout bearing were thicker than the VW bug and that's why it's not disengaging. The clutch cable was initially adjusted but the arm bottoms out on the case. I tried washers behind the throw-out arm to move it a bit closer but ran out of travel. The VW flywheel may have to be changed to a Porsche flywheel if the Porsche is thicker but I dunno and the engine was left in Knoxville (I'm in Roanoke, VA).

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- R. Colin Johnson <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> EE Times <http://www.eetimes.com/;jsessionid=JHVI54LTY3K3SQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN>
(05/16/2007 1:49 PM EDT)

An EE professor at Purdue University has found a way to produce hydrogen that replaces the need for gasoline by mixing water with beads of an aluminum-gallium alloy. The discovery could lead to engines that essentially burn water, instead of gasoline, since the gallium is not consumed in the reaction and the aluminum can be recycled.

Purdue has patented the process and has issued an exclusive license for it to an Indiana startup company, AlGalCo LLC.

EE professor Jerry Woodall discovered the process in the lab by accident, while cleaning a crucible containing liquid alloys of gallium and aluminum

"When I added water to this alloy, there was a violent poof," said Woodall. "When the aluminum atoms in the liquid alloy came into contact with the water, they reacted, splitting the water and producing hydrogen and aluminum oxide."

Woodall claims that several industrial process problems need to be solved before the water-fueled engine can become commercially viable. But eventually, he said, it could be used both in engines that burn the hydrogen directly and to charge up hydrogen fuel cells.

The reaction has no toxic by-products and can produce two kilowatts of power from a pound of aluminum, said Woodall. For a 350-mile trip in an automobile, it would take about 350 pounds of aluminum at a cost of about $60, since the aluminum oxide left over after the reaction could be converted back into aluminum-gallium pellets for reuse.
On May 16, 2007, at 7:55 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

But I believe you are trading mileage for traction. A skinnier hard tire will not be as good in the rain, a hard stop and hard cornering.

You can also remove bumpers and seatbelts to save weight and also improve mileage.

There is more to choosing an EV tire than that. Most of us in western WA know that too wide a tire can be bad for rain traction. There is a balance in tire selection. I do want to point out that excessively small tires can be downright dangerous in an EV. You need to watch the load ratings as well.

As far as your second point - I'm way ahead of you. Check out <evalbum.com/125.html> I found steel bodywork to be excessive too.

Paul "neon" G.

Jeff Major wrote:
I have tested a lot of Optimas and never saw anything
close to 3 milliOhms.  Always much higher.  On the
other hand, when testing Maxwell ultracaps, the
resistance is lower than spec.  Tested on a 9 pack of
2600 Farad cells (22.5 volts) was 4 milliOhms and did
not change much with temperature or state of charge. The 9 cell pack weighed 14 pounds. Optima about 40
pounds.  Hence a much better power density for the
cap.

The Optimas I've tested have ranged from 2.7 to 3.5 mohms, determined by the change in voltage divided by the change in current when switching between a 25a and 75a load. This is for new, fully charged batteries after break-in, at about 75 deg.F.

The resistance drops if they are hotter. It rises as they get colder, or as state of charge drop, and as they age. An advantage of capacitors is that their internal resistance does not vary as much over these conditions.

Thanks Peter.  I should have added that since I have to use an intermediate
shaft if I go with direct drive that I will definitely be optimizing the
ratio.

Dustin

From: "midiguy732" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:56:22 -0400

> There is more to choosing an EV tire than that. Most of us in western
> WA know that too wide a tire can be bad for rain traction. There is a
> balance in tire selection. I do want to point out that excessively
> small tires can be downright dangerous in an EV. You need to watch
> the load ratings as well.

Wide tires are fine in the wet if they are specifically designed for
this purpose.  Look at the various open wheel racing classes (Formula
One for example) - wide, wide tires with an incredible contact patch -
and with their rain tires they stick just fine - in incredibly
lightweight vehicles with tremendous horsepower.

As I said before, maybe not that well, tire selection really depends on
the purpose of the vehicle.  A utilitarian vehicle would be tired one
way, and a corner carver another.  And there's more to vehicle dynamics
than tires.  Unsprung weight, suspension type front and rear, vehicle
weight, aerodynamics, weight distribution front/rear/left/right, FWD,
RWD or AWD, driver position, venting, impact resistance and so on.

If someone is converting an existing car to EV, then you have your
vehicle dynamics spelled out for you - what you bought is what you get
unless you want to re-engineer the car during your EV conversion.

And paul makes a good point about load ranges of tires - even if you're
not at the limit of the load rating of the tires, keep in mind the tires
are bouncing off surface irregularities and at certain times there is
very little load on the tire, and other times there could be easily 3x
the normal, static load on that tire.

Yes - but the tire load rating ( on the sidewall) is the maximum normal static load. Allowances have already been made for momentarily higher loads due to bumps, cornering, braking, etc.

So, you don't have to worry about that. You can safely use a tire if the static load on it (vehicle at rest) is equal to or less than the sidewall rating at that pressure.

Phil Marino

And anyone who has enjoyed the tire blowout experience will tell you,
it's unpleasant at best - whether on a race car or a Ford Tempo.

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
I use the 4x8 ft sheets of ABS plastic .090 inches thick.  It costs about $25
for the sheet and is
easy to cut and drill.  One advantage is you can use heat to bend and shape it
around corners or
fold up a box.  It is pretty durable and if you dont plan on impacting it -
will last quite a
while.  It comes in black and has one side with a wrinkle finish while the
apposite side is
glossy.  Any plastic sheet distributor will carry it.
Mario

Peter wrote:

> As I said, I was dealing with Solectra.  Perhaps Azure has replaced these
> folks or done something to encourage them to respond to requests.  I don't
> know.

Not really. I was trying to get information from them in regard to the
availability of a/c motor/compressor combinations. That was 1/2 year ago.
Same experience you had. Called them -send email. Send email - no
response. Called again and asked for a specific content - mailed that
contact - no response.

So - I made my mind about Solectria/Azure. I think I wouldn't want to have
to deal with them, or, worse, be dependent on their information.

mm./

To replace my T-125 floodies, I would have to use the Discover EVGH6A-A
which has approx. the same dimensions, same capacity (T-125's 5hr rate is
195AH, same as Discovers 5hr rate), though the Discover weight is about
two pounds more. Not bad as a drop-in replacement for floodies to save  on
watering. However, one would have to re-program the charger, get some
electronics to balance the pack. But it looks like an alternative for
those of us who can carry the weight and don't like battery maintenance.

Any idea how much those batteries are?

Discover batteries at http://discover-energy.com/

mm./

dont know anything specifically about it, but watched their demo
video.  i would be nervous however that it would suffer from the same
inefficienies as your standard auto trans.  the demo claims that your
torque is passed on through a fluid - same as auto trans.  again, not
knowing details - makes me nervous that it would be likewise
inefficient.
chad

On 5/16/07, Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Anyone know anything about the CVT made by this company:
http://www.fallbrooktech.com