  1) Re: belly pan plastic - protection option's
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Motor needed
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Insulated battery box.
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Motor needed
        by "rcboyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Motor needed
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Insulated battery box.
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Front End Cover -- was Insulated battery box.
        by "Grigg. John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Motor needed
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Second contactor location?
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: New to the list, but intrigued w/ questions
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor needed
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Front End Cover -- was Insulated battery box.
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: New to the list, but intrigued w/ questions
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: New to the list, but intrigued w/ questions
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Second contactor location?
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Front End Cover -- was Insulated battery box.
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Second contactor location?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: AGNS has new motors
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: AGNS has new motors
I cutout plastic(choroplast),screw it into place, then
use rubberized undercoating in the spray can, and coat
the bottom of the plastic (part that is exposed to the
road).  I even spray the top of the plastic with
"Spray on Bedliner Material from WallyWorld"

PS: The spray on bedliner material works great as a
coating for the area's where your batteries are
located also (especially if they are inside the
passenger compartment of your car, it helps save that
thin sheetmetal from corrosion).  I worked in a metal
pickling plant for a few years, and we used the
bedliner material as a coating over all metal tanks
and anything else, that could come into contact with
the acid.

--- Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2007 5:37 am, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> > It's also used in signs, like some Real Estate for
> sale signs etc.  I
> > bought mine at a local sign shop in 4' x 8'
> sheets.  Pretty cheap. If yo
> > want something more durable (and heavier) you can
> try the fiberglass or
> > plastic panels that you can buy at your local
> hardware store.  They use
> > them in bath rooms for tub surrounds, etc.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion (like some Real Estate for
> sale signs). <g>

Michael Barkley

  www.texomaev.com

I think the idea is to use the cheap efficient electricity to power
accelerations where ICE vehicles waste a fair amount.  Stop and go city driving
is hard on an ICE that way. And that was what David stated **To take city MPG
from say 15 to 19 MPG.
**.  I'll dissagree with his statement though that the electrics should run
most of the time and the ICE would kick in extra torque.  I think thats
backwards.  The electrics should provide the short bursts of high torque to get
a load moving and the ICE would run at an average load tuned to its peak
efficiency.  This could feasably increase the city mileage from 15 mpg to 19
mpg and I think this is the intent of the Netgain EMIS system.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:31 am
Subject: Insulated battery box.
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> I am making battery boxes and want to insulate them with rigid
> noncombustible material about an inch thick. What will be a good
> materialand where is the best place to get it? Thanks for all
> responsesJJ

Rich, I was checking out your truck photos and I like that cover you
have in place of the front grill on your truck.  Where did you get it?
---  John

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 12:28 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am making battery boxes and want to insulate them with rigid
> noncombustible material about an inch thick. What will be a good
material
> and where is the best place to get it? Thanks for all responses
> JJ

I used 3/4" thick blue styrofoam insulation from Lowe's.

After one winter I have found that I need either battery heaters or a
heated garage to make the insulation worthwhile.

Rich
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1130
COUNTY OF SACRAMENTO EMAIL DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review,
copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by other
than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

City driving might be a good application for supercaps in this type of vehicle.
 Maxwell has/had a contract to do a bunch of buses in California and I believe
other HD stop-and-go vehicles.  Isn't Fedex doing something with this type of
hybrid?

> So basically, you're starting the day with a full charge in 600
> lbs of
> batteries, which equates to how many gallons of gas?  Less than 1
> gallon I
> believe.  If you drive beyond the point that you've used up that
> energy
> (assuning you've saved that many gallons, except you're heavier
> now, so you
> might not actually save one whole gallon), you're dragging around
> around 800
> extra pounds.  So beyond that point, it sounds like your mileage
> will be
> significantly worse.  How far do you go before the extra weight
> costs you
> another gallon?
>
> I think the idea has promise if you know the daily usage is known
> to be
> enough to use the energy in the batteries (replacing some fuel
> consumption),
> but not much more, where they're dead weight.  It sounds like that
> is
> NetGain's target user, like a UPS truck with very consistant use.
> But if
> you are sometimes driving 650 miles a day, and carrying an extra
> 800 lbs,
> are you really going to be saving anything in the long run?
>
> Marty

____________________________________________________________________________________Get
 the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.

--- Begin Message --- I'm using two SW200 contactors with my Zilla 1k. Both will be in the same location one as the main and the second switching the entire pack off with the ignition key. Is there a preference to put the pack contactor on the positive or negative side. IE, example #1- pack contactor then main contactor in series before Zilla. Example two main contactor as usual before Zilla then the pack contactor on the NEGATIVE side of the Zilla between the pack and the ZIlla.

Hello Mike,

The discussion about a small generator on board is well documented in
the list archives.  Emissions from a small generator are higher than a
gas powered vehicle.

For ideas on used parts keep reading the list, or search the archives
and you will see many projects to give you some ideas.  Look at the drag
bike http://www.killacycle.com/photos/motor-details/DriveChain4.JPG of
Bill Dube   using two 6.7 inch DC motors that if I remember correctly
were picked up used & rebuilt by a list member, Jim Husted
http://www.hitorqueelectric.com/
Electric forklifts can be a source of motors, contactors, etc.. if you
know what to look for.

You will find that the list has participants that sell new EV parts as
well.

My own project is at a standstill as I look for parts, and am looking to
buy a home (the current prospect does not have a garage, no carport, no
storage, you'd think I live in California where houses cost an arm, a
leg, and your first EV.)

Alan

From: Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:53 pm
Subject: Re: Front End Cover -- was Insulated battery box.
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 13:16 -0700, Grigg. John wrote:
> > Rich, I was checking out your truck photos and I like that cover you
> > have in place of the front grill on your truck.  Where did you
> get it?
> > ---  John
>
> I took the stock plastic grill, put duct tape over the backside of the
> openings, squirted expandable foam into the openings, shaved off the
> overage, and then bondoed over the top.  It kind of had an alien
> look to
> it at first so I had that "ELECTRIC" sign made.
>
> Rich,
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1130

Hello Mark,

It is best to install the contactors where one is on the positive and one on
the negative coming from the battery.   The ignition switch  turns on the
negative contactor first and apply 12 volts control voltage to the Zilla,
and the start position position of the ignition switch turns on the main
contactor.

If you try to turn both on at the same time, the Zilla may not see the
voltage at the controller and it will go in default which sometimes is cause
by a delay of one contactor over the other.

Another reason to break both lines from the battery, is when you charge the
battery, you are not putting any charging voltage on the Zilla and motor.

If you do not have this isolation during charging, you could have a charging
conductive path from the motor commentator, down the face of the commentator
and to the motor shaft.  This causes one leg of the charger voltage to be on
the chassis of the vehicle and sometimes cause arc over in a battery
enclosure that is ground to the frame.

For maximum isolation of all systems, I use one main contactor on the
positive side and then two more contactors that are install on the battery
neg and pos which are call safety or back up contactors.

I have a back up cut of switch to turn off these safety contactors in case
the motor controller or main contactor goes in default.

> I'm using two SW200 contactors with my Zilla 1k. Both will be in the
> same location one as the main and the second switching the entire
> pack off with the ignition key. Is there a preference to put the pack
> contactor on the positive or negative side. IE, example #1- pack
> contactor then main contactor in series before Zilla. Example two
> main contactor as usual before Zilla then the pack contactor on the
> NEGATIVE side of the Zilla between the pack and the ZIlla.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

BTW Rich I'm running old tired lead myself.

Even so,

The 12.49 number is even more impressive when you do some basic performance math.

I'm guessing at the following:

Rider + gear = 200 lbs
Biike chassis + motor & controller = 250 lbs
13 pcs (156 volts) 16 ah Hawkers + cabling, fuse , etc... = 210 lbs

Total: 660 lbs
ET: 12.49 secs

According to my calculator they needed approx. 66 HP at the rear wheel.
Figuring 70% (controller + motor + chain & sprocket eff.) that's 94 HP from 13 old AGM's

On top of that factor in that the top speed was only 100 MPH and it gets even better. If they reached 100 at the 1/8th mile and held it, the second 1/8th would take 4.5 secs.
That only leaves 7.99 seconds for the first 1/8th mile.

If they reached 90 at the 1/8th and gained 10 mph the second 1/8th would take 5 secs.
That leaves only 7.49 seconds for the first 1/8th mile.
The same as the White Zombie on 1/2 the voltage

More than a full second faster in the 1/8th than AGNS has ever run!

The more I run AGNS the more impressive that 12.49 is.

I may have to make her a trike and use 4 motors

OR

Can you run 3 wheels on a bike in line? Hmmm....

Shawn