  1) Re: New to the list, but intrigued w/ questions
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery chart for a hand-out...
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Jlg scissor lift hub motors
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Motor needed
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery chart for a hand-out...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Preferred polarity for Airpax circuit breader
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery chart for a hand-out...
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Motor needed
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the EV List. Same as was posted, I ask that you read
the http://evdl.org faq.

So that we can help you we would like to know more of you and
your needs:

-Where are you located?
-What are your driving needs (not what you want but what you
 need most of the time): how far do you commute and at what speed?
-Can you recharge at home or use public EV charging?
-How much money did you plan to spend? (define expensive)
-How knowledgeable are you are auto mechanics or electrical work?

As it has been posted, running an EV off a generator is more
costly (both $ and in pollution) than driving a small efficient
fuel vehicle (ICE).

In your original post (below) I will try to address your
questions:

-Yes used parts can be used

-As long as those parts are in good shape and not defective

-Running a small generator to only charge the battery pack is
 called a serial hybrid design. As stated it is not a permanent
 design solution as it would cost too much in fuel and in
 pollution.

-Also a small generator is not enough to drive the wheels on
 the road, it is only good to recharge the pack over several
 hours (i.e.: while the EV is parked and you are at work
 where there is no EV charging).

There will be no quick answer until you understand your EV
driving needs, and what will or will-not fit your EV
driving needs.

Once you have learned what your EV driving needs are, you
could look at the http://evdl.org EVDL Album for vehicles
that fit your needs.

An EV is an vehicle, thus it is going to cost money. Usually
an EV purchase is a commitment for a period of time to get
a return on yor money.

I might be if your regular commute is not that demanding,
and that a nice clean used EV is available at an affordable
cost. An used EV purchase means you would not have to 'make'
an EV as most people assume.

There are used EVs for Sale page links on the national EAA
web site http://eaaev.org

Please also use that site to know of EAA chapters or EV
organizations near you. You could network with them, and ride
in EVs. Half of learning EVs is to sit-n-ride in EVs to know
how they drive and feel.

Please post the answers to my above questions, and keep posting
your EV questions.

-
Hello - I never realized the amount of people involved in EV.

Anyway, I would love to try it but for me, for now, the costs
involved seem quite high.

-Can used parts be had for the conversion?

-[Is that a] Good idea/bad idea?

-[Could] a small generator] be run on board? This is not to run
the motor directly but to provide charge for distance.

-Perhaps less batteries for the trade off??

Information, sources etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike Cattaneo
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

You need to dust off your calculator and actually do the math.

At 50% capacity loss (10 times 5%) you will get 10,000 cycles (10 times 1,000.) This is direct quote from the engineers a A123 Systems. I don't make this stuff up.

By the way, can you find another brand of battery that lists the cycle life for 10 C discharge?

At 08:33 PM 5/17/2007, you wrote:
What that chart shows:

  1C the loss is 5% at 25C  after 1000 cycles
  2C the loss is 10% at 45C
  2C the loss is 20% at 60C

All I can really say is you are now Bill the Battery Salesman
to say expect 10,000 cycles for an EV.

Jack Murray

Bill Dube wrote:
As I mentioned in a post yesterday, (in answer to YOUR post) the temperature is what really matters in the cycle life. The high-current cycle tests makes the cells run at high temperatures, and thus shorten cycle life.
If you look at the chart
http://www.a123systems.com/newsite/pdf/ANR26650M1_Datasheet_FEB2007-1.pdf
you will notice that the 25 C curve indicates a 5% capacity loss after 1,000 cycles. (This is what you would expect in the typical EV environment.) Looking at the 60 C curve, you see that the capacity loss is about 25%. after 1,000 cycles. At the same current, but at 45 C, the curve shows about 12% loss after 1,000 cycles. EVs typically discharge batteries at 1C, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. Low internal resistance keeps the cell temperature at 30 C or below. Thus, in an EV, you can expect the cycle life of about 10,000 cycles to 50% capacity. Why don't you dig up the cycle life of an Optima at 10 C discharge at 60 C? You can't find this chart because the battery would be a puddle of smoking molten goo at this temperature.
Bill Dube'

At 06:49 PM 5/17/2007, you wrote:

So the chart that A123 publishes that shows 20% loss at 1000 cycles at 10C discharge is not correct?

Bill Dube wrote:

The cycle life on A123 Systems cells is actually much more than 1,000 cycles, if you rate it the same way other manufacturers' do. The 1,000 rating is for just 5% loss of capacity. If you rate it to 50% loss of capacity, (like lead-acid AGMs are rated) the cycle life is 10,000 cycles. I don't think Li-Ion FePo has a calender capacity loss like conventional Li-Ion does. The chemistry is much more stable.
Bill Dube'

At 05:35 PM 5/17/2007, you wrote:

I'm manning a booth at the Maker Faire (San Mateo County Fairgrounds, May
19-20, http://www.makerfaire.com ) over the weekend and wanted to give a
hand-out regarding EVs. In addition to some white papers by Tesla, I wanted
to put together two charts.

The first one, I was hoping to put gas price over time, vs battery cost over time. Does anyone know where I'd get data for battery cost? Say, for NiMH
and LiIon, over the past 10 years or so?

The second one was inspired by
http://www.madkatz.com/ev/batteryTechnologyComparison.html
and it's a chart of battery specs, with an added emphasis on total cost of
the battery, per kilowatt-hour, over the lifetime of the battery.
Here it
is so far... does anyone have good info on what a modern NiCad would be to
use?  Anyone had experience (and pricing) with Valence's U-Charge?
Also,
what's the realistic peak power out of a flooded lead-acid or hawker
Genesis?  (I figure the racers on this list would know for real...)

Tech               Density     #Cycles Discharge   Cost
Wh/kg W/kg (per month) $/kWh $/kW $/LifeTimekWh
Est Range
Flooded lead-acid  47             600     20%?      $85           $0.14
"AGM" lead-acid    35     412?    500      5%?     $145   $12?
$0.29       ~60
NiCad              50?           2000?   100%?     $300?          $0.15
NiMH (Nilar)       55     385    4000              $960  $137
$0.24       ~110
LiIon (18650)     176     631     500     ??%      $535  $149
$1.07       ~250
LiPho (A123)      110    3000    1000*            $1300   $47
$1.30       ~180

Notes:
LiIon loses 5% of capacity per year, regardless of whether you use it. See
http://www.buchmann.ca/Article5-Page1.asp
NiCads have severe memory effects.

W/kg is max possible "peak" rate.
Wh/kg is "average" or "nominal" discharge rate.
Range is affected by how much extra packaging must surround the battery, for
example extra temperature monitoring that affects 18650 cells.
18650 cells est. at $5 each
* - cycles claimed by A123

Sources:

http://www.nilar.com/index.php?pageID=33&languageID=1
NiMH based on Nilar 24V 9AHr=216WHr @3.9kg $208 each

http://www.madkatz.com/ev/batteryTechnologyComparison.html

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/TeslaRoadsterBatterySystem.pdf
 =>  56kWH, 200kW, 200 miles, 375V, 450kg (317kg batt weight est)
6,831 cells, 46.5g each at $5 each would be $34,150 for  56kWHr

http://libattery.ustc.edu.cn/english/introduction%203.htm

Flooded specs based on US Battery US185 spec 195AHr=2340WHr @49kg $200

AGM Specs based on Hawker G70EP 72AHr=864WHr @24.9kg $125

A123 specs based on 3.3V, 2.3Ah, 7.6WHr @70g $10.00 (dev kits are $20 each
in much smaller quantity)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I just happened to notice that a jlg scissors lift has one motor in each front wheel hub

Called a "fairfield mfg co torque hub"
Couldn't read the specs but might be the basis for an interesting leight weight trike design.
It had a 600 v rated high amp cable running to it.

Probably would need regearing though because these are set up for slow speed high torque movement.

Each motor's size is about 8" -10" long and about 5 inches diameter.

Www.jlg.com was on its side. They might have more specs there.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Motor needed
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:48:00 -0400

thank you for the correction you are right. Hopefully the ICE will idle most of the time and the electric will provide the extra power. If the electric is tapped out then the ICE will provide even more. So it is not necessary for the electric to be sized to provide all the power to accelerate.

You really don't want the ICE to idle most of the time. An ICE engine is more efficient ( or at least, less inefficient) at higher power outputs and has very poor efficiency at low power outputs. In fact, it has zero efficiency when idling, since it is using fuel and supplying no useful work. When you don't need the ICE to supply power, turning it off is the best thing to do.

Phil

via Treo
David Hrivnak

From: Marty Hewes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:29 am
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
    Jack> What that chart shows:
    Jack>    1C the loss is 5% at 25C  after 1000 cycles
    Jack>    2C the loss is 10% at 45C
    Jack>    2C the loss is 20% at 60C

Sorry to step in with a rather idiotic newbie question, but what does C
mean?  I've been trying to suss it out of context for a couple days.  Now
this table has me really confused.  It seems to clearly mean "Celsius" in
the second use on each line, but I can't come up with any words in my
limited EVocabulary that make sense as the replacement for the first C...  I
see no mention of any other C besides Celsius in the referenced A123Systems
data sheet.

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've got an Airpax single pole breaker ( 250 amps, 160VDC, long delay trip) breaker. Does anyone know if there is a preferred polarity? ( which connection should be positive and which negative).

The connections are labeled " line" and "load" but that sounds it refers to AC and not DC.

Thanks

Phil Marino

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507

Jim, you forgot old timey EV guy's motor!!! :^0

For those who don't know, Jim heard that I was restoring this 1911
Hupp-Yeats Electric from a bare bones rolling chassis.  Well, the motor, a
1910 Westinghouse 48v, 4-pole series-wound Model V33F ("V" for "vehicle"),
12"diam heavy monster was discovered to be missing not only brushes, but the
entire brush assembly.
NO biggee, right?
Wrong...no records are available for these early Westinghouse DC EV motors
and no replacement brush housing plans are known to exist.  Not only that,
but there's only ONE (1) other V33F motor that I've been able to find.
Fortunately, thanks to the good folks at the Reynolds-Alberta museum in
Canada, I have a great deal of photographs of their pristine 1912 Hupp-Yeats
"DeLuxe", including photos of the motor's brush assembly.

So, Jim's task is to cobble together a brush assembly based on these
photographs and brush sizes available 95years later.  This is the oldest
motor he's had a chance to work on and he's pretty excited about it even
though it's not meant for the drag strip...

UPDATE on the 1911 Hupp-Yeats EV: Finally beyond the rust stage of the
project now, with nearly every piece of the chassis and much of the
differential housing disassembled and cleaned.  As of tomorrow the frame
will be finish painted as will a number of other parts.  The chassis will
again come back to its berth at "Shop People" in Portland for the slow
process of reassembly and new part fabrication.  I'll have new pics posted
soon at the webpages: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1018
And just to show how important it can be to disassemble everything when
working on a relic of uncertain vintage, glass beading the frame and
suspension springs have revealed a number of clues:
* S/N "598" stamped on both rear axle hubs (suspected car ID#)
* "H-P 1911 Chrome Vanadium" stamped on rear 3/4 elliptic springs
* "Mar 1911" stamped on another pair of springs
* "374" stamped on the FRONT member of the frame (also possible car
ID#---discovered this # today prior to painting...)

These and other findings (e.g. the massive differential housing) have dated
this vehicle as a 1911 and the oldest known Hupp-Yeats to exist.
With the "374" number just discovered on the frame, the "598" number is now
in question as the car's ID...more than ever I need to correlate similar
stampings on the Canadian DeLuxe with their ID plate#...

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

From: Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Damon, back away from my Siamese6, yeah I saw you
eyeballing it.  It's actually in pieces so HA!  The
arms a little out of balance so I'm gonna address that
and I'm kinda toying with using it myself.  Anyway I
just wanted to say that I saw your post coveting my
motor, tisk, tisk.  BTW hows that holely cheese motor
I butchered for you coming? 8^o

Hey Jim

The motors great. Mike took it to school to show it off one day, but other then that it has been sitting on my garage floor. I have spun it up on 12 volts a few times just for the sheer enjoyment:-) Right now the truck is sitting over at my buddies shop. We pulled the bed and had the bottom and top sandblasted to take care of all the rust. (If anyone in the PDX area needs something big sandblasted, I know just the place. The guy only charged me $150 for the whole inside of the bed and everything underneath, the outside was fine.) Now the bed is all primered back up. Mike and I were out wire brushing the frame today getting ready to do the POR 15 thing. Because we still have a few more of the electrics to collect, it looks like we are going to take care of the all the frame and body work first, then make it nice and pretty so Mike can drive it around as a gasser for a while. Once I have all the EV parts in hand, we will strip out the smelly stuff, and do the transplant. Like most on this list my EV budget is always in danger, so it may take a good chunk of the summer before I'm able to get everything together. If the EV Gods smile favorably on me I might pull it all together before the Wayland Invitational :-)

Keep pressing those shafts ...

damon

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
Hey David

As you know we got some time into this and it'd be a
bummer to not see it through.  First off let me clear
my plate here and get the racers up and running and
let me chew on this a bit.  Being the slip yoke is
actually 1.170 and not 1.125 it screws up my plan to
use a standard inch sized bearing which is available
in the OD I need.  Secondly something has to be done
to allow an extra probably in reality .040 (the bore
hole is a few thou over like 1.129 or there about.

The issue is two fold, with this long a shaft you can
warp it and or the comm's are pressed out trying to
get it in, neither good.  Like I said I've continued
to ponder what it's gonna take to complete it (EVen
without ya ;P

It's not like any of this "can't" be done, it's more
of a "at what cost" so you don't vomit when you see
the invoice, LMAO. That and or feeling like I tripped
and fell on that shaft, if you know what I mean 8^o
In huge ways it's tougher to modify a motor than if it
were built that way to begin with being there are
those pre-existing parameters that must be dealt with.

I'll give you a write after I get some guys up and
discuss what options there are to get you up.  I am
also sorry to hear the other options didn't pan out.
Cya

--- David Hrivnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jim would love to work with you.  With your
> reputation I have confidence
> you will do it right.
>
> I see two options, 1) we go with a 1.125 shaft and I
> just find a way to
> couple on my end.  We have some smart people and I
> think I can make a go
> of it.  We have a Chemical plant with more than
> 10,000 motors just down
> the street and the Bristol race track just up the
> street.
>
> I could make up a shaft to your specifications
> splined at 1.170.  For me
> this would be ideal.  Just tell me now to make the
> shafts and I will get
> a few quotes here.  I was going to join two
> transmission output shafts
> for about $300 and they would just need to grind
> down the proper bearing
> surfaces.  The juncture where they are joined should
> be in the armature
> where strength is not quite as important.
>
> I have learned I will have to be patient.  So far my
> other ideas have
> not panned out well but I HAVE NOT GIVEN-UP
>
> Thanks Jim.

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

Hey Myles

I knew I should have included you, LMAO.  Yours is a
unique project and one I get to have a little more
time with compared to the guys needing there stuff
now, kind of thing.  Being I have to completely make a
new mount plate and decide the best holder option to
use.  With that said being this is neither racer, nor,
daily, but in fact a piece of history much love and
pride will go into this motor.  I just need to get
some alone time into it which I haven't had here
lately.  In fact I believe this will be one of my
prouder builds being able to work on something that
only two maybe EVen exist (and one's in a museum)

Actually I got Waggoners motor and Mike Chancey hey
whenever you get to it as well as one for Marko.
There's also a Bradley GTE motor although it got hurt
really bad when the metal banding unsoldered and
turned it into a DC wire welder 8^o

Anyway didn't forget about you more of a different
class or next wave of project kinda thing, that and
I'm pretty tired and was being lazy
Cya
Jim
--- Myles Twete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jim, you forgot old timey EV guy's motor!!! :^0
>
> For those who don't know, Jim heard that I was
> restoring this 1911
> Hupp-Yeats Electric from a bare bones rolling
> chassis.  Well, the motor, a
> 1910 Westinghouse 48v, 4-pole series-wound Model
> V33F ("V" for "vehicle"),
> 12"diam heavy monster was discovered to be missing
> not only brushes, but the
> entire brush assembly.
> NO biggee, right?
> Wrong...no records are available for these early
> Westinghouse DC EV motors
> and no replacement brush housing plans are known to
> exist.  Not only that,
> but there's only ONE (1) other V33F motor that I've
> been able to find.
> Fortunately, thanks to the good folks at the
> Reynolds-Alberta museum in
> Canada, I have a great deal of photographs of their
> pristine 1912 Hupp-Yeats
> "DeLuxe", including photos of the motor's brush
> assembly.
>
> So, Jim's task is to cobble together a brush
> assembly based on these
> photographs and brush sizes available 95years later.
>  This is the oldest
> motor he's had a chance to work on and he's pretty
> excited about it even
> though it's not meant for the drag strip...
>

> UPDATE on the 1911 Hupp-Yeats EV: Finally beyond the
> rust stage of the
> project now, with nearly every piece of the chassis
> and much of the
> differential housing disassembled and cleaned.  As
> of tomorrow the frame
> will be finish painted as will a number of other
> parts.  The chassis will
> again come back to its berth at "Shop People" in
> Portland for the slow
> process of reassembly and new part fabrication.
> I'll have new pics posted
> soon at the webpages:
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1018
> And just to show how important it can be to
> disassemble everything when
> working on a relic of uncertain vintage, glass
> beading the frame and
> suspension springs have revealed a number of clues:
> * S/N "598" stamped on both rear axle hubs
> (suspected car ID#)
> * "H-P 1911 Chrome Vanadium" stamped on rear 3/4
> elliptic springs
> * "Mar 1911" stamped on another pair of springs
> * "374" stamped on the FRONT member of the frame
> (also possible car
> ID#---discovered this # today prior to painting...)
>
> These and other findings (e.g. the massive
> differential housing) have dated
> this vehicle as a 1911 and the oldest known
> Hupp-Yeats to exist.
> With the "374" number just discovered on the frame,
> the "598" number is now
> in question as the car's ID...more than ever I need
> to correlate similar
> stampings on the Canadian DeLuxe with their ID
> plate#...
>
> -Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

=== message truncated ===

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

> Jim Husted wrote:
>
> I figuered I'd just send a blanket email to the list
> and get EVeryone an update on their stuff.  Kinda
> checks to see if they read my stuff also 8^P

Jim, read your stuff??  I'm having withdrawls.  But I understand you gotta work
to make money too.  Although with all the fun
you're having with racing motors and vintage electric restoration projects I
figure you must have a bunch of elves that keep your
day business running.

> ...BTW grab some pics of that motor roast you
> did as I'd love to get em up at the hall of flames 8^)
> those and about 80 other pics I need to post 8^(

Sounds like a job for the elves ;-P

> Willmon, I've been working with George Hamstra at
> Netgain and have decided to go with the standard Warp9
> brush set.

Hey, father knows best, eh?  With all the other motors in the shop hopefully
you're not getting them used to being talked to too
much.  You know, none of that touchy feely stuff.  Don't tease them about their
shafts either.  I don't need the WarP9 getting
spline envy!!  I'd hate nothing more than to have to talk them through all the
hard times ahead, he he.  Make 'em tough, and kick
'em out :-O

> ...I just want matching, sorry if I'm a pain
> in the butt George 8^o  FWIW the new Transwarp aspect
> is really awesome!

If either you or George have any bumper stickers you want me to show off on the
car, send them on!!

> ...Anyway Mike that's the poop, I do
> have to clear my plate a bit but it won't take long to
> put the bling you're looking for into these.

No pressure Jim. I just ordered the 9" rear-end yesterday.  You're not going to
let the Dutchman beat you are ya }:->

> Let's see who am I forgetting...
> Oh yeah, Wayland.  Well it's good to hear you got the
> Zombie back up and terrorizing the streets of Portland
> and no sweat adding a little extra work for me as you
> pound the motor with just 15 springs.  You know it is
> almost an issue with you to break stuff isn't it!

...and if you happen to be by Dutchmans', don't break my axle before I get a
chance to play with it.  I bet you've already been by
Jim's shop slobbering all over the TransWarP9 :-O  Jim, if he asks you if you'd
let him test out the motors, Just Say No. he he.

Oh yeah, John, what'er you doing for an E- brake???

> Anyway I just thought I'd kill a bunch of birds with
> one email. Kinda throw something at the list and air
> my underwear out on the bummers of being a small shop.

You like it or you wouldn't do it.  Do you need some more coffee??
Did you eat all those Kenya AA+ Special Dark beans?
Kaladi's is featuring Ethiopian Yirgacheffe this month.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.