  1) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Electric Vehicle Expo 2007 - Saturday May 26 in Ottawa, Canada
        by Juergen Weichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: [sfeva] Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
  4) Re: Motor needed
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: belly pan plastic
        by "Martin Winlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Solectra/Azure Dynamics DMOC445 AC controller
        by "Martin Winlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Motor needed
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery chart for a hand-out...
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Electric Vehicle Expo 2007 - Saturday May 26 in Ottawa, Canada
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Mystery Motor Help
        by William Brinsmead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Power Stering and A/C
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Mystery Motor Help
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) SepEx Regen Chopper - Help!
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From:  "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subj:  Re: Motor needed
Date:  Thu May 17, 2007 11:21 pm
Size:  8K
To:  ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>Subject: Re: Motor needed
>Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:48:00 -0400
>
>thank you for the correction you are right.  Hopefully the ICE will idle
>most of the time and the electric will provide the extra power.  If the
>electric is tapped out then the ICE will provide even more.  So it is not
>necessary for the electric to be sized to provide all the power to
>accelerate.

You really don't want the ICE to idle most of the time.  An ICE engine is
more efficient ( or at least, less inefficient)  at higher power outputs and
has very poor efficiency at low power outputs.  In fact, it has zero
efficiency when idling, since it is using fuel and supplying no useful work.
  When you don't need the ICE to supply power, turning it off is the best
thing to do.

Phil

>via Treo
>David Hrivnak

On 5/16/07, Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ah yes, the "available in the near future" line.   Sorry, but we've been
hearing that line for decades now.  We'll have better/cheaper batteries
available "in the near future".  We'll switch to a hydrogen economy "near
future".  We'll have more efficient cheaper solar cells "near future".

Let us know when "near future" becomes "available now" then we'll get
excited, until then....<yawn>

I AM talking "now". Look up CIGS and/or cadmium telluride thin film
cells, a bunch of companies are ramping up production as we speak,
first quantities being on market. Just one example : FSLR .

-kert

Why not start off with 6mm marine ply - much cheaper - then when you've
finished tweaking it and tried it out for a while, you can upgrade to
something more exotic and permanent... Just use the ply as a pattern and
trace around it to cut the finished article. MW

[...]

I have gotten so use to this that I didn't even notice the C occurs
twice in the sentence, maybe we should say

1C the loss is 5% at 25 degree C  after 1000 cycles

the first C in this context refers to the capacity of the battery, but
watch where they put the number.

on a 100ah battery, 1C is 100A , C20 or C/20 is the amperage rating that
drains the battery in 20 hours or 5amps.

wouldn't it be nice if some kind soul could point the webcam
at the awards function and let us all see thru yahoo chat (webcam
option) .. for any help/how-to i can chip in

..peekay

> Please join us for our annual "Electric Vehicle Expo 2007" next
> Saturday, May 26 in Ottawa, Canada.
>
> Details at http://www.evco.ca/EV_Expo/
>
> Poster available for download at
> http://www.evco.ca/EV_Expo/2007/poster%202007%20final.pdf
>
> Thanks
> Juergen
>

> Juergen Weichert
> President, Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa
> www.evco.ca
> 613-746-7685

4:46 PM

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Not to pick bones, but that would be a single speed transmission.

Peter has brought this 'correction' up many times, and though I usually find myself in agreement on most things with him, I have to disagree this time.

Direct drive implies that you are /direct/ly driving the wheel with the
motor.

Perhaps in a purely engineering environment where everything is literal, but not in the normal context of the automotive world (the world that EVs are in) where direct drive 'means' that the motor(s) 'directly drives' the rear end without the aid of a multispeed transmission or the inclusion of a clutch or torque converter. The 'transmission' has always meant the box between the drive motor and the rear end that provides multiple gear ratios. Front drive combines the differential and the multispeed transmission into one unit, hence the term 'transaxle'. On a rear drive affair, remove the transmission between the motor and the rear end, and you have direct drive right into the rear end.

Example (1)

When talking with the engineers from GM back in '96 about 'Sunnyside Up', the land speed Impact (forerunner to the EV1), they too, referred to the car as direct drive, since it had no selectable gear ratios. I know, because I asked them how they got the thing up to 180+ mph when I queried, "Did you install a 2 or 3 speed transaxle?" Their answer? "No, it's still direct drive...we did change the reduction ratio to something quite a bit taller though." They actually used the term 'direct-drive'.

The transaxle of the EV1 is a gear reduction system, not a transmission. I will admit, that in EV1 literature they referred to the reduction system as a single speed transmission, but even that was incorrect, as it was technically a 'single speed transaxle' not a transmission. In a rear wheel drive car though, no one would ever call the rear end a 'single speed transmission'...they call it a rear end, or 'final drive ratio'.

Example (2)

I work in the forklift industry, where nearly every electric drive system is called 'direct drive'. The 'drive unit' is never called a 'transmission', it's always called the 'drive unit', and in pretty much all the tech info they refer to the electric motor as 'directly driving' the drive wheel(s) through a gear reduction unit...they do not call it a transmission...they do call it direct drive. In most all the tech service manuals in the maintenance sections, they warn about jacking up and securely blocking the truck because of the 'direct drive' and the ability of an electric motor to accidentally get turned-on.

Example (3)

Car and Driver wrote the story on my car...I had nothing to do with it other than pushing to get some of those who have helped with sponsorship mentioned in the final copy. They are what most everyone would call automotive experts. In the article they call my car 'direct drive'... "Maximum rpm is about 7000, which thanks to a 4:11 final drive, is just enough to get this direct-drive car down the quarter-mile."

If Car and Driver thinks a car without a transmission and with an electric motor coupled directly to the rear end is 'direct-drive', that's good enough for me.

See Ya.....John Wayland

...owner of both an EV with a flywheel, clutch, and 4 speed transmission and an EV that's direct-drive.
Hi Folks,
I hope someone can identify this big motor / generator ? or at least a manufacturer .

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=1120

Thanks, Bill

I'm new the the list and am ready to pull the trigger on a conversion, but
was wondering if anyone has incorporated power steering and A/C as part of
their conversion.

Thanks in advance!

Guy

Hi John,

I agree with you.  Even if there is a reducer between
the motor and rear end.  If it is a single fixed ratio
drive, it is direct drive.  If it is multiple ratio,
it is a transmission.  That has been the customary
terminology for as long as I can remember.

Jeff

--- John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> turned-on.
>
> Example (3)
>
> Car and Driver wrote the story on my car...I had
> nothing to do with it
> other than pushing to get some of those who have
> helped with sponsorship
> mentioned in the final copy. They are what most
> everyone would call
> automotive experts. In the article they call my car
> 'direct drive'...
> "Maximum rpm is about 7000, which thanks to a 4:11
> final drive, is just
> enough to get this direct-drive car down the
> quarter-mile."
>
> If Car and Driver thinks a car without a
> transmission and with an
> electric motor coupled directly to the rear end is
> 'direct-drive',
> that's good enough for me.
>
> See Ya.....John Wayland
>
> ...owner of both an EV with a flywheel, clutch, and

____________________________________________________________________________________Sick
 sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

Wayne, at ev-blue.com has done this before...
He's got some really good pictures detailing how it might be done.
I wish I lived closer to his shop...
Anyway.

Running accessories 'requires' an electric  drive motor with 2-half-shafts
(one to drive the trans, the other to drive accessories).

http://www.ev-blue.com/photos.html

This picture shows a 1-wire alternator for use for charging the 12-volt
battery, as well as an AC compressor.
http://www.ev-blue.com/98-S10/023.jpg

There has been a variety of discussion regarding power steering...
When the drive-motor isn't turning, no power steering.
When it is, you're moving, after which the front wheels are easier to turn
anyway.
(you do NOT want an unloaded series-electric motor turning, as it runs the
risk of 'running away' and 'blowing up').

Thus, you're probably looking at electric power steering, with some kind
of speed sensor to turn it on at low speeds (I have found its not really
needed above 15mph).

My conversion isn't done, once its complete (and I've gotten it to
actually go down the road) I'll add other stuff, such as AC and whatnot.
The original vehicle (in my case) had 'manual' steering, so I'll probably
stick with that.

"Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
05/18/2007 11:19
Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

<ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
cc

Subject
Power Stering and A/C

I'm new the the list and am ready to pull the trigger on a conversion, but
was wondering if anyone has incorporated power steering and A/C as part of
their conversion.

Thanks in advance!

Guy

Hello Guy,

Yes, I have all that and more.  See http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/470.html

These pictures were taken back in 2002.  The last mod was done in 2000.
Since then I added three electric drives for the accessories, a EVCan
electric power steering unit, a back up electric clutch that comes off the
pilot shaft of the motor to provide backup power to the accessory drive in
case the drive motors or the DC-DC converters go out and provides accessory
REGEN while the drive motors are off line.

A hot water electric heating system was added, Zilla and Zilla water cool
fill tank, a PFC-50 charger that raise out of back compartment on gas
struts, two more contactors, chassis boxes, more switches and instruments.

So you can barely see the components in this EV now.

I mounted the A/C unit, as well as a inverter-alternator, a vacuum pump and
two 3 hp drive motors a GMC accessory aluminum mounting plate that is
normally install on the front of a diesel engine.  It has all the bracket
mounts to hold all the accessories including a GMC vacuum pump.

I mounted this accessory plate onto a large 1/2 inch thick aluminum plate
that is bolted to a 4 in. x 4 in. by 3/8 aluminum angle at the bottom which
is bolted down to the frame with two engine donuts mounts.  Another support
plate is mounted 4 inches behind this which is only a foot high, and all is
bolt down to the frame in like manner.

The motor pilot shaft has a Dodge Dynaflex coupler on it is connected to a
drive shaft through two face mounted bearings on the two mounting plates.
This drive shaft is in the save position that a engine damper wheel and
pulley would be at.

You do not need a damper wheel, but I use the same diameter pulleys on all
the accessories as it would be on a engine.   The pulleys I use are
industrial solid steel type, not the stamp sheet metal type.  You could also
use a serpentine belt kit also.

I am do a mod now, while I remove the Dynaflex coupler and install a
electric clutch which will disconnect the motor from the accessory drive
unit when the accessory motors go off line, during a coast down long hills.
This provides safety for me, so the EV does not run away going down long
hills in the winter on icy hills.  During this time, the alternator-inverter
provides 120 VAC 60 cycle 6kw to the on board battery charger, to provide
some REGEN to the batteries.

From: William Brinsmead [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:27:51 -0700
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Mystery Motor Help

Hi Folks,
I hope someone can identify this big motor / generator ? or at least a
manufacturer .

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=1120

Thanks, Bill

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web

Even after reviewing all the Regen info I could find in both the archives and
the web in general I
was hoping someone could help clarify a couple of specific points on it. Keep
in mind I am talking
about a brushed DC SepEx motor.

   |             |                  |          |
   |    'Regen'  |        'Go'      |         / \
  ---   Chopper   /    Freewheel  _____     /Motor\
   -             /       Diode     / \      \     /
  ---            |                  |         \ /
   -             |                  |          |
   |             |__________________|__________|
   |             |                             |
   |  'Regen'    |                             |
   | Freewheel?  |                     'Go'     /
   |   Diode   _____                  Chopper  /
   |            / \                            |
   |             |                             |
   |             |                             |
   ______________|_____________________________|

Assuming that the choppers are PWM driven MOSFETs during 'motoring' current
will flow from the
battery through the motor and the 'Go' chopper when on and through the 'Go'
freewheel diode when
off. The battery voltage is always greater than the motor voltage in this
scenario so therefore
current flows in this direction. (I'm talking positive to negative,
conventional? flow) So up to
this point it's pretty clear to me.

However, when we leave the 'Go' chopper off (open) and I apply full field
current this is where it
gets fuzzy. What exactly is happening to the armature windings? They are now
rotating through the
fields' flux and therefore should be creating a voltage across the windings
correct? However,
because they are not hooked to anything there is no current flow. And because
there is no current
there is no 'back' torque or stopping power?

And the voltage that is produced is proportional to the RPM correct? Which for
this particular
motor would be full pack voltage at base speed, right? Or, if there was any
field weakening the
correspondingly lower voltage? In other words, with field weakening the RPMs
would need to rise to
match the RPMs that the motor would spin at full pack voltage with that
particular field strength?

So in order to get current to actually flow back into the battery I need a
greater voltage, and I
will only get that if the motor is rotating at greater than base speed right?
And below base speed
there is no way I could get any regen unless somehow I can boost the voltage.
This is where I need
some help. If we were to 'chop' the regen, as the regen mosfet is closed this
basically shorts the
motor windings allowing current to flow (ramp?) through the windings and the
regen mosfet. Then
when the mosfet is switched off, because of the inductance of the armature
windings the current
continues to flow as the field collapses. But is this voltage proportional to
the duty cycle and
actually higher than the battery pack voltage at some duty cycle less than 100%
and RPM below base
speed? Is this how you can get regen at lower speeds?

And if this is all true, then how can you control the voltage produced in the
off cycle? Do you
simply need to reduce the duty cycle or do you also need to adjust the field
current?

A final question, should I be worried about generating too high a voltage and
protect the
batteries and capicitors (omitted from the diagram) somehow with like a high
power zener (if there
is such a thing)?

I will have 108V nominal battery pack. Is there such a thing as a 135V or so
Zener? How much power
would it need to dissipate? Or, should I try to simply keep the voltage down
with the duty cycle?

Thanks for any help,

Chet Fields

 a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.