        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Fixing Rapters
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) RE: Power Steering and A/C
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) ZAP and Lotus?
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: SepEx Regen Chopper - Help!
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Fixing Rapters
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: SepEx Regen Chopper - Help!
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Charging Stations
        by "Chuck Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Forklift RPM
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Yeah where is my motor!
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: "Honey, I Shrunk the Tires"
 16) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: ZAP and Lotus?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Who can fix Curtis Controller?
 19) RE: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Damn, thats a B.F.M.
What'er you planning on putting it in?

From: John Wayland [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:04:17 -0700
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Hello to All,

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

>Not to pick bones, but that would be a single speed transmission.

Peter has brought this 'correction' up many times, and though I usually
find myself in agreement on most things with him, I have to disagree
this time.

>Direct drive implies that you are /direct/ly driving the wheel with the
>motor.

Perhaps in a purely engineering environment where everything is literal,
but not in the normal context of the automotive world (the world that
EVs are in) where direct drive 'means' that the motor(s) 'directly
drives' the rear end without the aid of a multispeed transmission or the
inclusion of a clutch or torque converter. The 'transmission' has always
meant the box between the drive motor and the rear end that provides
multiple gear ratios. Front drive combines the differential and the
multispeed transmission into one unit, hence the term 'transaxle'. On a
rear drive affair, remove the transmission between the motor and the
rear end, and you have direct drive right into the rear end.

Example (1)

When talking with the engineers from GM back in '96 about 'Sunnyside
Up', the land speed Impact (forerunner to the EV1), they too, referred
to the car as direct drive, since it had no selectable gear ratios. I
know, because I asked them how they got the thing up to 180+ mph when I
queried, "Did you install a 2 or 3 speed transaxle?" Their answer? "No,
it's still direct drive...we did change the reduction ratio to something
quite a bit taller though." They actually used the term 'direct-drive'.

The transaxle of the EV1 is a gear reduction system, not a transmission.
I will admit, that in EV1 literature they referred to the reduction
system as a single speed transmission, but even that was incorrect, as
it was technically a 'single speed transaxle' not a transmission. In a
rear wheel drive car though, no one would ever call the rear end a
'single speed transmission'...they call it a rear end, or 'final drive
ratio'.

Example (2)

I work in the forklift industry, where nearly every electric drive
system is called 'direct drive'. The 'drive unit' is never called a
'transmission', it's always called the 'drive unit', and in pretty much
all the tech info they refer to the electric motor as 'directly driving'
the drive wheel(s) through a gear reduction unit...they do not call it a
transmission...they do call it direct drive. In most all the tech
service manuals in the maintenance sections, they warn about jacking up
and securely blocking the truck because of the 'direct drive' and the
ability of an electric motor to accidentally get turned-on.

Example (3)

Car and Driver wrote the story on my car...I had nothing to do with it
other than pushing to get some of those who have helped with sponsorship
mentioned in the final copy. They are what most everyone would call
automotive experts. In the article they call my car 'direct drive'...
"Maximum rpm is about 7000, which thanks to a 4:11 final drive, is just
enough to get this direct-drive car down the quarter-mile."

If Car and Driver thinks a car without a transmission and with an
electric motor coupled directly to the rear end is 'direct-drive',
that's good enough for me.

See Ya.....John Wayland

...owner of both an EV with a flywheel, clutch, and 4 speed transmission
and an EV that's direct-drive.

I friend just emailed me a notice about ZAP and Lotus Engineering joining
forces to produce an EV
they are calling the ZAP-X Crossover. Anyone heard of this?

"An advanced battery system will enable the car to travel a range up to 350
miles between charges,
with rapid charge technology that can recharge the batteries in as little as 10
minutes."

Sounds a little fishy to me.

Dave Cover

Hi Chet,

I never designed a regen control, but have used a few.
 I read over what you have and seems pretty good.  My
take is that if you are above base speed, leave both
choppers off and increase the field while sensing
current (for braking torque) and voltage (for battery
protection).  If either get too hi, back off field
current.

When speed falls below base, leave full field current
on and start chopping regen chopper, while sensing
current and voltage.  Start at low duty cycle and
bring up to your desired current (braking torque) or
battery voltage limit.  As you approach either, stop
increasing or slow down the rate of increase of duty
cycle.  The control may be a bit trickey.  Depending
on battery SOC, you may reach battery charge voltage
limit and have to decrease duty cycle thereby reducing
braking torque and get into friction brakes to stop
the vehicle.

I have never seen the power zener thing used.

Another thought.  When I said "full field current",
this depends on the particular sepex motor.  Full does
not mean maximum.  On the sepex motors I use, full
field is about 8 or 10 amps and max is 30.  During
regen, I think field is about 10 amps.

Jeff

> a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers
> from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it
> out.

--- Begin Message --- I can repair them, but I generally don't bother with single quantities of a new design. Often you have to do non-trivial reverse-engineering to come up with enough of a schematic to begin repair/diagnosis. I am an authorized repair depot for 4QD controllers, and I have repaired Curtis and Alltrax (yes, even the potted ones!) If there is a market for repairs on a common controller I can reverse-engineer once, then repair many, then I'll consider it.

If you have an otherwise junked controller that you have no prospects of repairing, send it to me and I'll start a collection. If I get several of the same model, I'll start looking at them.

I also have several proven DC controller designs in my stable, and one new AC one I'm itching to build. Large Power discretes are getting cheaper! Maybe a cheap DC HV controller will surface soon too.....

-Phil