  1) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Power Stering and A/C
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: SepEx Regen Chopper - Help!
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Forklift RPM
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Semi-electronic controllers?
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Last minute Power of DC Info #1
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Calling Rich Rudman
        by Jim Dempsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Semi-electronic controllers?
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Series motor regen with CC?  and Semi-electronic controllers?
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Last minute Power of DC Info #1
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Semi-electronic controllers?
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Evlist public Calender and ev mailed faq needed
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: direct drive or transmission?
Hello Ed,

Did not have to build it.  The inverter-alternator is a large 3 phase Delco
alternator which is design for a Dynamote inverter.  This alternator has 7
terminals on it, which is a + field, - field, trio, positive power, negative
power, a excitation circuit, and a regulator control circuit.

All this is wired to the Dynamote inverter, which produces true 120 VAC 60
Hz at 6000 watts.  The alternator-inverter input voltage to the inverter, is
110 VDC at 7 kw.

This inverter also have a 12-15 vdc output for charging a battery and
provides 12 volt power.

This is a large unit, normally use for 120 VAC power for ships and large
utility trucks. This unit cost about $2500.00 back in 1977. I replace the
inverter section of this unit with a smaller solid state unit which is still
16 inches long and 8 inches by 10 inches square.

I normally pull about 20 amps in the summer and I can load it up to about 40
to 50 amps by turning on three heating units, two AC pumps, five fans, and
over 30 lights which I may turn on during a coast down on a icy hill or
assist the EV in driving very slipply icy roads.

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<But you still have the usual PM motor tradeoffs. The PM motor is more
efficient at rated load (no field power losses). But at light load, it
is less efficient (because you still have full field strength, thus full
eddy and hysteresis magnetic losses). And at high peak loads, you risk
demagnetizing the magnets either from excessive current or excessive
temperature.>

____________________________________________________________________________________Be
 a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

continues to flow as the field collapses. But is this voltage proportional
to the duty cycle and
actually higher than the battery pack voltage at some duty cycle less than
100% and RPM below base
speed? Is this how you can get regen at lower speeds?

You got it.

And if this is all true, then how can you control the voltage produced in
the off cycle? Do you
simply need to reduce the duty cycle or do you also need to adjust the field
current?

The battery itself controls the voltage produced. The output of a boost
converter is a current - it's up to the 'load' - in this case, the
battery - to control the voltage. You need to sense and control
the regen current - possibly using the same current sensing
arrangement as the motoring PWM side - one of those LEM hall effect
sensors is great for this sort of thing because you can put in in
the motor leg and sense both ways with one device. If you are really
ambitious, you can use the regen MOSFET as a synchronous rectifier
in addition to the motoring flyback diode - if you are using MOSFET's.
You should be able to gain a little bit of efficiency and quite a bit
less heat production...

A final question, should I be worried about generating too high a voltage
and protect the batteries and capicitors (omitted from the diagram) somehow
with like a high power zener (if there is such a thing)?

I will have 108V nominal battery pack. Is there such a thing as a 135V
or so Zener? How much power would it need to dissipate? Or, should I
try to simply keep the voltage down with the duty cycle?

The 'best' way to do this - at least that is how it is done with AC/BLDC
systems - is to have the brake pedal (or regen knob) control the current
setpoint with an additional input from the battery voltage. When
the battery voltage exceeds the regen voltage limit, the regen current
setpoint is reduced proportionally, over maybe a 3 or 5 volt region.
If the regen pot is arranged so the high voltage (maybe +5 volts) is
no regen, and if the pots are battery - referenced, then it should
be pretty easy - you need a zener diode and two resistors. When you hit
the regen pot, the signal drops to maybe 1 volt (lots of regen). When
the battery voltage hits 135 volts, it starts pulling the input
back up towards 5V, and you get no regen at 140 volts. You might want
to get a 100V zener and a handful of 3V and 15V zeners to 'trim' the
voltage you want. There are other ways but this one is easy to understand.

A few issues you would need to consider here are no so much from the
battery exceeding the desired voltage, but local high voltages
caused by inductance within the controller. Wiring is generally
inductive so when the regen FET turns off, the voltage across it
can be over double the actual battery voltage for just a few microseconds.
Unfortunately, these devices will not withstand overvoltages that
long so it'll blow up. If you are planning on designing one, make
sure you have access to a very high-speed 'scope so you can see
what's happening. You will need to be careful with switching speeds
and snubbing capacitors and snubbing networks so you don't blow
too much stuff up. By the way, from what I can tell, many of the
older Solectria MOSFET BLDC controllers have blown up - probably
due to these wiring inductance issues.

A dissipative regulator (big zener diode clamp) would be massively
expensive.
Railroad locomotives and industrial VFD's usually have big braking resistors
that are used for that purpose. You shouldn't need one in a car
because you have hydraulic brakes for when the batteries can't absorb any
more.

-Dale

Hey Bill

--- Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> PlasmaBoy, Hi-TorqueBoy, or anyone else who knows:

Thats funny stuff, lol.

> Is general is there an RPM where 36V and 48V
> forklift motors are most
> efficient?

I've never tach'ed a motor in the lift so I really
have no idea where they run but would imagine their
somewhere around 3000 to 4000.  I doubt there is an
all inclusive rule of thumb as they are all very
different really in the way they are wound.  The best
general rule would be not to bog them down and keep
the RPM's up best you can.  In general also most
forklift motors can be grouped into the same 6/7/8/9"
etc. sizes for your max RPM as the larger the comm the
lower the max RPM's

Hope this helps
Cya

____________________________________________________________________________________Need
 a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- How about a contactor/rectactor type controller that used some form of electronic switching, not PWM, but just an electronic on off switch?

I am not knowledgeable about solid state switches nor scrs, but is there not a solid state version that would do this quietly?

Seems like most of the distress that people have with contactor controllers is the noise. I, for one, like the lurch that you get on that last hit into "high" voltage. I have had great results using resistors for that slow speed running, and think that a three level control would minimize the time that one ran with a resistor for those of you who don't need the heat! (Snowed in parts of Maine last night!!!)

Hope to get more stuff on the Contactor Controller page this weekend.

Tom in Maine

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The final plans are being put in place for the Power of DC race June 2-3.

Jim's building us a great motor to give away which will be cool.

On Saturday June 3, the Washington Chapter of the Sports Car Club of America is setting up our AutoCross event and they are handling the timing as well. That event starts at 10:30 am. From what I understand the West Virginia University Electric Formula 1 racer will be racing the AutoCross. That will be awesome to see.

We will have a big 70 Kw generator at the location and Tom Sigman, a retiree from PEPCO, DCs local utility, will be on hand to set up the generator and help with the charging.

The 8 mile Range Rally route has been planned out which will start after lunch. A short section of this route will include Interstate 70 so your EVs should be highway capable.

And we've made plans for the ScooterCross. Kids under 16 are allowed to race their electric scooters in the ScooterCross with their parents permission. Bring your helmets. Knee pads and elbow pads are also encouraged. The ScooterCross is an official event and we will have trophies for the winners. We're going to wing it with the electric go carts and E-bikes depending on how many show up. If only one person brings an electric go cart we'll make sure they have an opportunity to race it on the course.

And there is the Show-n-Shine after the cars arrive back from the Range Rally.

The events on Saturday are Free, but we are accepting donations. Lunch will be provided at the location for a reasonable price. Rest room facilities are also going to be provided. Thanks to Mike Harvey and Tracy for making all these arrangements for Saturday.

The NEDRA drag race at the Mason Dixon Dragway Sunday June 3 is set up the same way as our previous other year's races. Gates open at 11:00 am and racing starts at noon. Shawn Lawless is bringing his electric creations including AGNS which will be cool. Darrin is bringing his updated 96 volt motorcycle and making a spider box.

If anyone has a particular 240 volt charging need please let Darrin know so he can add that port to his box.
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

EVA/DC is bringing their Solar Racer, the Aztec, which competed last year at the Power of DC.

I just reserved a room at the Super 8 Motel off Dual Highway Rt 40 which is a couple miles north of the Mason-Dixon Dragway (301) 739-5800. Rates there are $45.00 for doubles if you mention you are a racer at the track. There are plenty of rooms available. The Super 8 is one of the track sponsors. Plenty of parking is available for trailers there too.

Although I'm only about an hour from the track I thought it would be better to get up there Friday night and stay through Sunday so I don't have to keep going back and forth.

For maps, info on hotels and motels and other race info visit the Welcome Page of the Power of DC site. http://www.powerofdc.com/ welcome.html

So everything is all set up for you guys and gals to join us so it should be alot of fun.

And if anyone has any questions feel free to call me at 240-687-1678.

Chip Gribben

Power of DC
http://www.powerofdc.com

Jeff Major wrote:

> I agree with [John Wayland].  Even if there is a reducer
> between the motor and rear end.  If it is a single fixed
> ratio drive, it is direct drive.  If it is multiple ratio,
> it is a transmission.  That has been the customary
> terminology for as long as I can remember.

Checking a few dictionaries, it is readily apparent that "transmission"
refers equally to single or multiple ratio gear boxes:

<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transmission>

<http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/transmission>

<http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=transmit*1+0&dict=A>

<http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/transmission?view=uk>

Any speed reducer between the motor ("engine") and axle is, by
definition, a transmission even though particular industries may favour
alternate terms ("reducer", etc.) for the device.

Indeed, the English term for transmisison, "gearbox", is perhaps the
most enlightening as it clearly describes any device ("box") containing
gears for the purpose of providing a change in speed.

Checking the dictionaries for their take on "direct drive" turns up one
hit:

<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/direct%20drive>

This one suggests that it is the absence of a clutch mechanism between
the engine and prop (drive) shaft that qualifies a drive system as
"direct".  However, the definiton of "direct" is "with nothing in
between", and since the motor ultimately drives the wheels, a "direct
drive" system must clearly be one with nothing in between the motor and
wheel; no clutch and no gear reduction.

John Wayland wrote:

> > Perhaps in a purely engineering environment where
> > everything is literal, but not in the normal
> > context of the automotive world (the world that
> > EVs are in) where direct drive 'means' that the
> > motor(s) 'directly drives' the rear end without
> > the aid of a multispeed transmission or the
> > inclusion of a clutch or torque converter.

So what then describes the drive configuration of a vehicle without a
rear end (or FWD differential), where motor(s) drive one or more wheels
through a fixed reduction?  How about when one or more wheels are driven
directly by a motor(s) without and gear reduction?

I think Peter's point is that "direct drive" clearly must refer to the
most direct of drive configurations, which is where a motor directly
drives a wheel without any speed reduction between the motor and wheel.
Placing a speed reduction device (including a rear end/differential)
between the motor(s) and wheel(s) makes it a less direct drive
configuration, and precision in our terminology allows us to communicate
clearly which type of system we are discussing.

> > Example (1)
> >
> > When talking with the engineers from GM back in '96
> > about 'Sunnyside Up', the land speed Impact
> > (forerunner to the EV1), they too, referred
> > to the car as direct drive, since it had no
> > selectable gear ratios.

GM also inaccurately referred to the fixed-reduction transaxle as a
"transmission", so it hardly seems that their use of the term "direct
drive" should be taken as definitive... ;^>

It is also possible that the term "direct drive" was used by GM to refer
to the absence of a clutch or other means of disengaging the motor from
the wheels, and had nothing to do with the use of a single-speed
transaxle instead of a multi-speed unit.

> > Example (2)
> >
> > I work in the forklift industry, where nearly every
> > electric drive system is called 'direct drive'. The
> > 'drive unit' is never called a 'transmission', it's
> > always called the 'drive unit', and in pretty much
> > all the tech info they refer to the electric motor
> > as 'directly driving' the drive wheel(s) through a
> > gear reduction unit...they do not call it a
> > transmission...they do call it direct drive. In most
> > all the tech service manuals in the maintenance
> > sections, they warn about jacking up and securely
> > blocking the truck because of the 'direct drive' and
> > the ability of an electric motor to accidentally get
> > turned-on.

The last couple sentences here are the most telling: it is immediately
obvious that in this industry the term "direct drive" is used to refer
to the absence of a clutch or other means of disengaging the drive motor
from the wheels.  This is the reason for the safety concern if the drive
wheels are not elevated during service/troubleshooting.

> > Example (3)
> >
> > Car and Driver wrote the story on my car...I had
> > nothing to do with it other than pushing to get
> > some of those who have helped with sponsorship
> > mentioned in the final copy. They are what most
> > everyone would call automotive experts. In the
> > article they call my car 'direct drive'...
> > "Maximum rpm is about 7000, which thanks to a 4:11
> > final drive, is just enough to get this direct-drive
> > car down the quarter-mile."
> >
> > If Car and Driver thinks a car without a
> > transmission and with an electric motor coupled
> > directly to the rear end is 'direct-drive',
> > that's good enough for me.

So, how many vehicles has C&D reviewed over the years that did not have
some form of transmission or transaxle?  What makes them experts on
accurate terminology when referring to drive systems with which they
have little or no experience? ;^>

I expect that C&D referred to the vehicle using whatever terms it was
described to them in, and since you believe that "direct drive" is an
accurate description I'm sure it was mentioned at least in passing.

While I'm sure that many on the list would understand that someone using
the term "direct drive" is probably referring to eliminating the
transmission from their conversion, it would be clearer and less
ambiguous to state "directly driving the rear-end" to avoid possibility
of confusion with one of many other possible meanings (e.g. clutchless
conversions whether or not the ability to shift is retained, fixed
reduction vs multi-speed transmission, transmissionless conversions,
etc.).

If we ask non-EV'ers what a "direct drive" car is, how many have a clue,
and how many different interpretations do we get?

From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Snipped Blah blah blah blah blah

Be it known to all on this list that when the term direct drive is invoked I will consider it to mean a car without a mulitspeed transmission. I will consider any form of single gear ratio drive whether it be driveline/rear end, chain/sprocket, belt/pulley, or any other such contraption that can be thought up a direct drive system.

You may if you wish refer to an electric motor as an engine and I will look the other way, but do not refer to one of the above systems as having a transmission unless you are prepared to pay the consequences.

Thank you for your time :-)

damon

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've been working on my contactor controller, and have it setup so my micro reads the throttle pot and turns on/off one of four contactors.
I've been testing it, and find the go-pedal control to be too "mushy".
I'm now changing it so there is a hand-selected speed switch input to the micro, and the go pedal only turns on/off the selected speed.

If you are going to use silicon and deal with its heat and losses, you might as well just PWM it.

Jack

Tom Gocze wrote:
How about a contactor/rectactor type controller that used some form of electronic switching, not PWM, but just an electronic on off switch?

I am not knowledgeable about solid state switches nor scrs, but is there not a solid state version that would do this quietly?

Seems like most of the distress that people have with contactor controllers is the noise. I, for one, like the lurch that you get on that last hit into "high" voltage. I have had great results using resistors for that slow speed running, and think that a three level control would minimize the time that one ran with a resistor for those of you who don't need the heat! (Snowed in parts of Maine last night!!!)

Hope to get more stuff on the Contactor Controller page this weekend.

Tom in Maine

          Hi Tom and All,

From: Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, May 18, 2007 12:54 pm
Subject: RE: direct drive or transmission?
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Jeff Major wrote:
>
> > I agree with [John Wayland].  Even if there is a reducer
> > between the motor and rear end.  If it is a single fixed
> > ratio drive, it is direct drive.  If it is multiple ratio,
> > it is a transmission.  That has been the customary
> > terminology for as long as I can remember.
>
> Checking a few dictionaries, it is readily apparent that
> "transmission"refers equally to single or multiple ratio gear boxes:
>
> <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transmission>
>
> <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/transmission>
>
> <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=transmit*1+0&dict=A>
>
> <http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/transmission?view=uk>
>
> Any speed reducer between the motor ("engine") and axle is, by
> definition, a transmission even though particular industries may
> favouralternate terms ("reducer", etc.) for the device.

          Hi Jack and All,
              I put my resistor to go on each time the pedal
is pressed first before it going full power, a 2 speed
pedal, and switching other speeds by seperate switching,
preferably on a shift lever so it's somewhat like normal
gears. The resistor each time really helps keep from
breaking things if you start in top speed accidentally ;^D
              A circuit like a relay on the motor leads so
you need to have a certain voltage on the motor before the
Field weakening or top speed comes on is a good mod as you
shouldn't use FW until at least 1/2 power or starting in top
speed.

>I've been working on my contactor controller, and have it
>setup so my  micro reads the throttle pot and turns on/off
>one of four contactors. I've been testing it, and find the
>go-pedal control to be too "mushy". I'm now changing it so
>there is a hand-selected speed switch input to  the micro,
>and the go pedal only turns on/off the selected speed.
>
>If you are going to use silicon and deal with its heat and
>losses, you  might as well just PWM it.

        I agree but that also applies to your micro. Diode
matrix, micro switches and relay's work well instead.

                                 Jerry Dycus

>Jack
>
>Tom Gocze wrote:
>> How about a contactor/rectactor type controller that used
>> some form  of  electronic switching, not PWM, but just an
>> electronic on off switch?
>> I am not knowledgeable about solid state switches nor
>> scrs, but is   there not a solid state version that would
>> do this quietly?
>> Seems like most of the distress that people have with
>> contactor   controllers is the noise. I, for one,  like
>> the lurch that you get on   that last hit into "high"
>> voltage. I have had great results using resistors for
>> that slow speed running,   and think that a three level
>> control would minimize the time that one   ran with a
>> resistor for those of you who don't need the heat!
>> (Snowed in parts of Maine   last night!!!)
>>
>> Hope to get more stuff on the Contactor Controller page
>> this weekend.
>> Tom in Maine

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Has anyone thought to set up a google (or other) shared calender for this list so all ev events worldwide can be more easily tracked?

With the volune of this list it is very hard to happen upon all the right emails which announce events (many of which don't include location such as the power dc one quoted below).

Also there should be an ev faq email that is resent once a week to the list to give all the basic refrains and tech notes that are continually rediscussed. It would be really helpful to avoid long trains of discussion that are repeated and should be long and fully enclusive since it will only go out once a week.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

MIKE WILLMON wrote:

> So with all that in mind here are two items that need
> clarification in my mind for me to make a decision on who's
> side to be on:

Please let's not make it a question of "sides"; it already looks as if
Damon has taken offense to my choosing to challenge John Wayland's
interpretation. ;^>

I think the one common thread to the sprint car, material handling, EV1,
White Zombie, etc. examples is that all of these systems lack a clutch
or other means of decoupling the prime mover from the load.

The White Zombie and sprint car both have no reduction between the motor
and wheels other than that in the rear-end.  The material handling (lift
truck) and EV1 cases both have additional reduction between the motor
and final drive.

It seems fairly clear then that prior convention has been to use the
term direct drive to refer to drive systems lacking a clutch mechanism,
not to the presence or absence of single or multiple reduction ratios
between the motor and wheels.  In the EV world, however, we refer to
these systems simply as "clutchless".

EVs open up the possibility of having a wheel mounted directly (or
indirectly via an axle shaft) to the motor shaft, which is the ultimate
direct drive system.  When the motor is located within the wheel, we
refer to these as "hub motors", which are understood to be direct drive
even though many hub motors actually include a speed reduction between
the shaft and wheel.

You list some interesting special cases.  Here are a few others:

- a vehicle with a multi-speed transmission that is locked in a single
gear: direct or not?

- a vehicle with a single fixed reduction between the motor and wheel,
but with a clutch mechanism allowing the motor to be decoupled from the
wheel: direct or not?

I don't know that it is important to try to sort which of these
possibilities could be lumped into the "direct drive" universe or not.
I think the important thing is to recognise that there are a whole bunch
of quite different drivetrain configurations possible in between the
extremes of one with a clutch and multi-speed transmission (unarguably
not direct drive) and one with the motor directly coupled to the wheel
(unarguably direct drive).  If we are to have meaningful discussions we
might want to be more selective (precise) in our use of the term "direct
drive" as there can be important differences and considerations between
the various systems.

Perhaps the compromise middle ground is to use direct drive to refer to
all drive configurations with a fixed reduction ratio between the
motor(s) and wheel(s), and no means of decoupling the motor from the
wheel rather than the strictest definition of only such systems with a
1:1 ratio between the motor and wheel?

(PS: with respect to your special cases, the definitions of
"transmission" do not require that the gears have to provide a speed
change (ratio other than 1:1), so strictly speaking it could be that
even a gearset providing a 1:1 ratio could be considered a transmission.
Even with a 1:1 ratio, a diff will introduce a change in speed/torque
between its input and output(s) as the vehicle turns or as one wheel
loses traction, so I think it would technically always constitute a
"transmission" type device, albeit a very specialised one.  Otherwise we
get into situations such as me stating that my transmission is not a
transmission when in 4th, since 4th gives a 1:1 ratio... ;^)