  1) Re: A123 Automotive Propulsion Battery
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Stock rims vs. aftermarket; also slotted rotors?
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Semi-electronic controllers?
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) How regen works (was: SepEx Regen Chopper)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Charging Stations
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Charging Stations
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Calling Rich Rudman
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: New Pack and RudmenRegs
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: AGNS Joins 100 MPH Club-Sets New NEDRA record
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Stock rims vs. aftermarket; also slotted rotors?
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Charging Stations
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: AGNS Joins 100 MPH Club-Sets New NEDRA record
        by "BadFishRacing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Sorry jeff, the entire sight is flash. Sounds like it is time for you to upgrade your computer ;)

Those batteries sound pretty sweet. Now we just need to get our hands on some ;)

I emailed them... for what that's worth.

Tehben

On May 19, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Jeff Shanab wrote:

Grumble. Another flash only, not even a simple backup link that works,
STUPID buggy, Bandwidth hogging Flash. Web designers who are sure they
know what I want, Line em up and shoot em as far as I am concerned.

Can you post me a link just pass the darn flash stuff so I can see the
content. (Flash is "blocked" on this 64bit OS)

My biggest fear is that you will have to be a Major car company to get
your hands on one and will have to agree not to divulge, sell, etc.

On Sat, May 19, 2007 10:44 pm, Bob Bath wrote:
> I'm wondering about the difference in braking with a
> nice set of wheels.  I've had stock Civic 13" rims
> forever.  If I get a set of 14" rims, any weight
> savings (not that I need it) will be off-set by
> heavier tires, and greater rolling resistance, I'd
> imagine; a few more amps from a dead-stop getting it
> all moving.  Has anyone else done this type of switch
> _with an EV and has actual anecdotal findings_?

While I unfortunately do not yet have any sort of EV experience with
larger wheels, I've put them on my Integra after my stock wheels were
stolen and the difference is undeniable. My upsize was a bit more severe
than yours, from 15 to 18 inches. The new wheels are very minimal (7
fairly thin spokes) and a little lighter than stock but the mass being
moved away from the hub definitely gives them more inertia. Acceleration
is noticeably slower. Cornering is very much improved, and of course much
larger brakes will now fit.

>    Related issue is that I'd be doing this to get some
> more air to my rotors, as well as improve the
> cosmetics a bit.  What are LISTers experience with
> stopping distance, or am I better off to do
> cross-drilled, slotted rotors?
>
> I've read both ends of the spectrum: that it's the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, and that it's snake
> oil that does _nothing_ for stopping power.

My understanding is that slots and especially crossdrilling do indeed
improve braking performance, for all the reasons you've probably read --
allowing expanding vapors to escape from between the pad and the rotor.
However, they've fallen out of favor due to the cracking they can cause
under severe use. I purchased drilled and slotted Wilwoods for my truck,
and had I known the full story I probably would have stuck with plain
rotors. These days I think drilled rotors are mainly the choice for those
who want that look.

Just the same, I don't think I'll be using them heavily enough to care. If
you get drilled rotors you may want to check that they have a smooth
rounded chamfer at each hole, to reduce stress.

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: 5/19/2007 5:50:43 PM
Subject: AGNS Joins 100 MPH Club-Sets New NEDRA record

On what was supposed to be a nice sunny day in Thompson Ohio The
Lawless Industries AGNS bike and crew were looking for 4-5 good runs
and a shot at both the NEDRA 144 volt motorcycle record and the 100
MPH
club.  Well unexpected rain put a damper on the fire but not until 2
runs were in the books. Run # 1 flashed on the board as a 12.92 @
102
MPH. AGNS is in the club! An hr. later we got a chance to back it
up.
Run #2 showed the 12 old Hawkers were starting to come alive.
12.67 @
106 MPH.  I believe that since these are more than 1% apart that the
slower time of 12.92 will stand as the new NEDRA record.  We started
having visions of the 11's and 110+. We saw the rain coming but since
the batteries were getting into their temperature comfort zone we
went
ahead and charged ole AGNS till she couldn't take any more. It
wasn't
meant to be. The rain came and we departed for a victory dinner,
leaving behind a whole group of folks scratching their heads over how
silent little minibike can stay darn near a tricked up Hayabusa for
half a track and keeps gets quicker and quicker every single run.
Next
stop 125 MPH Club. I cannot explain how much darn fun this little
bike
has become.

Dear Mr. Rudman, per your comments of a few days ago... AGNS will be
at
the track on Wednesday with sights on the 168 volt record of 12.49 @
100 MPH.  Prepare to eat your hat.

Shawn Lawless

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's
free
from AOL at AOL.com.

I'd actually highly recommend going for some light
weight wheels after I did so with my 92 Saturn
conversion. I replaced the stock alloy wheels with
Kosei K1-TS wheels in the same 15" size, though they
are an inch wider at 7". The 15" only weights 12.6
lbs! I weighed the stock alloys and I saved 8lbs per
wheel of rotating mass. The Goodyear Integrity tires
(at least somewhat LRR) actually now weight 1 lb more
than the wheels do!

Here's the wheel:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted
http://tinyurl.com/2z6572

The 14" version weights in at 10lbs I think. If you
put in your vehicle information you can look at it
with their different wheels and they do actually list
weights for their lighter wheels in that window. With
14's you do have a good selection of LRR tires you
could use as well. Considering your current tire size
I'd go for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE92
175/65R14's which is the older Prius tire, they have
an extra load rated version of this tire and it is
LRR. It would be just a hair taller than your existing
tire, but I think it would be ~1% off overall
diameter.

With my Saturn I already had the Goodyear Integrities
on my stock wheels (185/65R15), and I have no
scientific data for this, but you know how your car is
and how it drives. Well with a pack of 12 flooded 12
volt batteries (144 volt) it took about 200 amps to
accelerate with traffic here in Phoenix. Going to the
light weight Kosei wheels it dropped it to about 150
amps to accelerate with traffic! It made all the
noticeable difference in the world. The only
efficiency improvement I made that was better than the
wheels was getting a 0 toe in alignment, and it should
be noted I had a good 3/8" toe out going on before so
that wasn't helping. Cruising amps stayed about the
same, maybe a tad less. The other benefit too is you
get less noticeable costing momentum. Lets be honest
with a DC EV in traffic you can coast a long way and
unless you are perfect at judging traffic patterns
you'll waste a good bit of energy to braking. I much
prefer spending less energy to get rolling and then
not have to waste as much to braking when someone
makes a turn in front of you. This wasn't hugely
significant, you still have all that lead pushing you
along, but it was noticeable and something I liked.

As far as brakes my understanding is cross drilled and
slotted is really more for looks than anything, and
there is very little real world improvement in
performance. The theory is you have more surface area
for cooling. I've never actually had cross drilled or
slotted rotors so I can't contest to any personal
experience; however, I am putting a much larger
battery pack in my Saturn here in the coming months so
I'm already in the process of planning some brake
upgrades. My Saturn had a factory option for rear disk
brakes, so I'm going to go junkyarding to see if I can
find the necessary brackets and stuff to do this, then
hopefully some larger front disks.

Later,
Rick
92 Saturn SC Conversion
AZ Alt Fuel Plates "ZEROGAS"
Glendale, AZ

> > Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Stock rims vs. aftermarket; also slotted
> rotors?
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>
> I'm wondering about the difference in braking with a
> nice set of wheels.  I've had stock Civic 13" rims
> forever.  If I get a set of 14" rims, any weight
> savings (not that I need it) will be off-set by
> heavier tires, and greater rolling resistance, I'd
> imagine; a few more amps from a dead-stop getting it
> all moving.  Has anyone else done this type of
> switch
> _with an EV and has actual anecdotal findings_?
>    Related issue is that I'd be doing this to get
> some
> more air to my rotors, as well as improve the
> cosmetics a bit.  What are LISTers experience with
> stopping distance, or am I better off to do
> cross-drilled, slotted rotors?
>
> I've read both ends of the spectrum: that it's the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, and that it's
> snake
> oil that does _nothing_ for stopping power.
>
> Would be eager to here some perspectives.
>
> Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
> has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch
> too!
> Learn more at:
> www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
>                         ____
>                      __/__|__\ __
>   =D-------/    -  -         \
>                      'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came
> out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas
> for your kids?

____________________________________________________________________________________Take
 the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news,
photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Let's look at it this way, the cost of putting in 20a 120v is far less than 240v of any amperage. In order to convince more EV charge stations to be put in by employers and municipalities, it's a trade-off that has merit.

Personally, for a work parking lot, I'd rather have 2 spaces with 120v/20a than one 240v/50a.

If my employer said no to 240v/50a, then I'd then ask for 120v/20a. Harder to say no to. Hell, might even already have one or 2 of those wired up already!

When you park at work, you are there all day, for 5 days in a row. Many EV'ers get an EV specifically just to do the work commute every weekday, so if you can have free charging at work, then it's an awesome incentive for more of us to go EV! With $4/gal the commute is going to get pricey!

If you skip the lunch break, that's 8 hours! 19.2kwh is substantial when it's free!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[...]

Shawn,

Sit still for a second. How can I catch you if you're jumping all over the place. Are you going to step down to my level for a heads up match at DC? Wheelie bars got completed last night. If they work as good as they look, you're in trouble. Heck, even bring on two strings of hawkers.

I'll shoot for my pack being a toasty 120degreesF, but I usually don't have time to get it that high. It seems to take a while for them to warm evenly. See you 6am before the big race and I can show you the rest of my tricks. Heck, some might even work.

Darin
BadFishRacing