  1) RE: Motor needed
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Speaking of battery announcements ... What about Firefly
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Speaking of battery announcements ... What about Firefly
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 42 more to go! [slightly OT now!]
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Charging Stations
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Speaking of battery announcements ... What about Firefly
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) ElectroMetropolitan
        by Daniel Eyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: ElectroMetropolitan
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: direct drive or transmission?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Direct drive
        by "Dustin Stern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Direct drive
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: article: Electric Motorcycle: Test Drive (with Video)
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Magnetic motor bike & other youtube electric bike videos.
 21) Re: direct drive or transmission?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Electropolitan smokes tire, misses record
        by "Dave Wilker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Series motor regen with CC?  and Semi-electronic controllers?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Data will tell.  I am and will keep detailed records.  If I find a motor and
complete the project and it does not fail in the first year, we will know the
answer.

I will know a partial answer in two weeks as I am about to take two 650 drives
and I have installed the battery boxes and I have 300 lbs of batteries on
board.  We will see if I can measure a difference as I have driven route many
times.

via Treo
David Hrivnak

From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 20, 2007 8:19:13 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: direct drive or transmission?

Wow, what a storm this opened up.

I'm sorry John, but if we go with your definitions of "direct drive" then
the term becomes so ambiguous as to be useless.
When someone asks "what kind of motor do I need with direct drive" or "is
direct drive better than ..."
Now we have to ask them which kind of "direct drive" they mean?

Seems to me that it would be better if folks were a bit more specific from the begining and I feel that we <as a group> can encourage that by using more specific terms, and giving more specific definitions to the terms we
use.
But if you want to push for more ambiguity, I guess we can go that way too.

P.S. I thought it was the Swiss who were traditionally neutral?  I'm
probably wrong, plus I don't recall any Swiss Muppets.

He was the guy who did the BORK BORK BORK!!!!!

There was that Swedish Chef on the Muppets.

Chip

On May 21, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Electric Vehicle Discussion List wrote:

> From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: May 20, 2007 8:19:13 PM EDT
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: RE: direct drive or transmission?
>

> Wow, what a storm this opened up.
>
> I'm sorry John, but if we go with your definitions of "direct drive"
> then the term becomes so ambiguous as to be useless.
> When someone asks "what kind of motor do I need with direct drive"
> or "is
> direct drive better than ..."
> Now we have to ask them which kind of "direct drive" they mean?
>
> Seems to me that it would be better if folks were a bit more specific
> from the begining and I feel that we <as a group> can encourage that
> by using more specific terms, and giving more specific definitions to
> the terms we use.
> But if you want to push for more ambiguity, I guess we can go that way

> too.
>
> P.S. I thought it was the Swiss who were traditionally neutral?  I'm
> probably wrong, plus I don't recall any Swiss Muppets.

I looked through their site briefly but didn't see some basic info,
Wh/kg, wh/liter,w/kg, cycle life/C rate, (not to mention price and
Availability.)

Maybe it is not obvious, Do you have that info? (lots of adjitives, I
need some specs.)

Martin,

I have found a few using albright contactor, kilovac,
power relay.  Just play around with it and every once
in awhile, you find something good.  Seller ohwags has
some occasionally, but nothing now.

Jeff

--- Martin Winlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a search string for Ebay to find
> a (cheap) main
> contactor?  Are there any specific types or
> make/model I can look for?  Or
> are there just too many to make this easy?
>
> Thanks, MW.

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking
 for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

It looked into them over a year ago, read all the hype and decided that with no
specifics they are possibly a hoax.  I don't know if the company is publicly
traded, but their shareholders are not going to be happy if they keep promising
something without supplying it.  I even emailed them with some questions, but
they never even answered.  Sent them by two different email accounts.

How can you get potential customers with no engineering data, specs, cost
projections, etc?

I could be wrong, but these make good urban legend material.

--- Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I looked through their site briefly but didn't see some basic info,
> Wh/kg, wh/liter,w/kg, cycle life/C rate, (not to mention price and
> Availability.)
>
> Maybe it is not obvious, Do you have that info? (lots of adjitives, I
> need some specs.)

that's a real cute video .. no wonder it is a
li'l short of 50 million views !

..peekay

From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

Martin,

I have found a few using albright contactor, kilovac,
power relay.  Just play around with it and every once
in awhile, you find something good.  Seller ohwags has
some occasionally, but nothing now.

Jeff

--- Martin Winlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a search string for Ebay to find
> a (cheap) main
> contactor?  Are there any specific types or
> make/model I can look for?  Or
> are there just too many to make this easy?
>
> Thanks, MW.

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507

ebay contactor is only good for low voltage, since it does not have blow
outs.  very dangerous to use on 120vdc or 144vdc systems.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:14:24 +0000, damon henry wrote
> Look at item 150122532092 on ebay.  I bought a few of these a couple
> of months ago, and though they are not the standard EV contactors
> people usually use, they are quite heavy duty.  The contacts are
> about the size of a nickel, and the coils draw about 2 amps at 24
> volts.  I don't have a data sheet for them but they have 200 amps
> printed on the side which is likely a continous rating.  They look
> like they should be able to handle more current then the Albright
> SW180 I have, as the actual contacts are quite a bit larger.  Anyway,
>  you can't hardly go wrong for the price.
>
> damon
>
> >From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> >Subject: Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
> >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
> >

> >Martin,
> >
> >I have found a few using albright contactor, kilovac,
> >power relay.  Just play around with it and every once
> >in awhile, you find something good.  Seller ohwags has
> >some occasionally, but nothing now.
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> >--- Martin Winlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone suggest a search string for Ebay to find
> > > a (cheap) main
> > > contactor?  Are there any specific types or
> > > make/model I can look for?  Or
> > > are there just too many to make this easy?
> > >
> > > Thanks, MW.

________Looking
> >for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
> >http://farechase.yahoo.com/

> Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live
> Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-
us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507

    Mark> I don't know if the company is publicly traded, but their
    Mark> shareholders are not going to be happy if they keep promising
    Mark> something without supplying it.

I believe they are still wholly owned by Caterpillar (?).  I sent them a
note a week or two ago.  They said they would have something in four to six
weeks and to contact them again in that timeframe.  I'll see what they have
to say then.  Presumably a NDA will not be required. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Does anyone know if there is a website where someone
could see this car? It would be fun to see it.

Daniel Eyk
Vancouver, Wa.

Electric S-10 project
E-15 project

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

Here you go
http://www.powerofdc.com/photos/57electropolitan_640.jpg

--- Daniel Eyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a website where someone
> could see this car? It would be fun to see it.
>
> Daniel Eyk
> Vancouver, Wa.
>
> Electric S-10 project
> E-15 project

> Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I suppose without a data sheet it is hard to say for sure. There are other things besides magnetic blowouts to help extinguish an arc, but this sounds like a good observation. In my case I am only doing 72 volts, so these should work fine for me.

damon

From: "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:20:45 -0700

ebay contactor is only good for low voltage, since it does not have blow
outs.  very dangerous to use on 120vdc or 144vdc systems.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:14:24 +0000, damon henry wrote
> Look at item 150122532092 on ebay.  I bought a few of these a couple
> of months ago, and though they are not the standard EV contactors
> people usually use, they are quite heavy duty.  The contacts are
> about the size of a nickel, and the coils draw about 2 amps at 24
> volts.  I don't have a data sheet for them but they have 200 amps
> printed on the side which is likely a continous rating.  They look
> like they should be able to handle more current then the Albright
> SW180 I have, as the actual contacts are quite a bit larger.  Anyway,
>  you can't hardly go wrong for the price.
>
> damon
>
> >From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> >Subject: Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
> >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
> >

> >Martin,
> >
> >I have found a few using albright contactor, kilovac,
> >power relay.  Just play around with it and every once
> >in awhile, you find something good.  Seller ohwags has
> >some occasionally, but nothing now.
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> >--- Martin Winlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone suggest a search string for Ebay to find
> > > a (cheap) main
> > > contactor?  Are there any specific types or
> > > make/model I can look for?  Or
> > > are there just too many to make this easy?
> > >
> > > Thanks, MW.

________Looking
> >for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
> >http://farechase.yahoo.com/

> Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live
> Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-
us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
I think this should be the way to go.

Jeff

--- Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps the compromise middle ground is to use
> direct drive to refer to
> all drive configurations with a fixed reduction
> ratio between the
> motor(s) and wheel(s), and no means of decoupling
> the motor from the
> wheel rather than the strictest definition of only
> such systems with a
> 1:1 ratio between the motor and wheel?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

____________________________________________________________________________________Be
 a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Peter,

As I'm the original solicitor of the question regarding whether "direct drive"
is better than a transmission, I thought I'd respond.

(Originally, I thought direct drive meant electric motor to output wheels via
fixed gearing.  I figured this would be valid regardless of how one implemented
coupling of the motor to the output wheels.  In my case I have an intermediate
shaft.  But in most instances, I'd have thought you'd ALWAYS have some fixed
gearing in a direct drive.  It seems natural to assume you can vary the gear
head on a direct coupling between a motor and a diff, for instance.  And if you
have a diff, that you might vary the ratio in the diff, which I though amounted
to the same thing.)

Peter, in your email you ask me to provide more information.  I provided what I
thought was a detailed break down of my vehicle, including likely weight,
wattage per mile, type of controller, type of motor, and battery configuration.
 I suppose I could have supplied the tire size, but I'll have to check at home
for that.

I'm not sure how I could have made my email more specific?  I'll be happy to
add more specificity as I really need to make a design decision soon.  The way
I see it I have 3 choices:
1.  No transmission.  Call it what you will.  I will gear the coupling to
maximize a single Impulse or Warp 9.
2.  No transmission.  2 Impulse 9s hooked to the same intermediate shaft using
different fixed rations.  If possible, no clutches, but the ability to use the
most suitable motor as needed.
3.  Transmission and single 9" motor.  This is a tough call as my "engine bay"
isn't standard and doesn't accomodate transmissions easily - but I can and may
adapt this approach.  This does suck up valuable battery space though.  An MR-2
transmission would take up a great deal of free space in my three wheeler.

Again, to recap, I'm currently planning a ~180v system with a Zilla hv1k and
21/2200 lbs loaded max weight.  For an idea of the drive train configuration,
you can see the vehicle at www.vortexplans.com.  If the group would like
additional details, I'm happy to provide those, but I need to know what to
provide.  So far I've received conflicting emails that transmission-less
vehicles eat twice the power, and that a transmission isn't necessary in a
vehicle of my weight class, adding too much complexity and weight for the gain.

v/r,
Dustin
-------------
Peter's post: (sorry, I'm on list serve, so I currently can't respond to emails
until I get the entire list)

Dustin Stern wrote:
Again, to recap, I'm currently planning a ~180v system with a Zilla hv1k and
21/2200 lbs loaded max weight.  For an idea of the drive train configuration,
you can see the vehicle at www.vortexplans.com.  If the group would like
additional details, I'm happy to provide those, but I need to know what to
provide.  So far I've received conflicting emails that transmission-less
vehicles eat twice the power, and that a transmission isn't necessary in a
vehicle of my weight class, adding too much complexity and weight for the gain.
Another option... I know the vortex is designed to use a motorcycle as the engine and rear driven wheel, but could you modify the design to drive the two front wheels instead. The Doran 3 wheeler does it this way, the front suspension is a stock FWD system from a Subaru (in the one I saw) with transmission. The rear wheel freewheels.
http://www.rqriley.com/doran.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/559

Mark Farver

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- These folks were at the Microsoft Campus for the Cascadia Institute Conference on PHEV's a couple of weeks ago. ( HYBRIDTECHNOLOGIES )

I met Frank Ziegler, sales directaor, and he let me take this very bike round the block. Seemed to have a lot of torque to me. And at a Price Point of $3500. with Li-Ion batteries almost seems too good to be true.

They had also brought a Li-Ion Smart Car conversion. Im wondering if any one has bought any of their products. I would not want to be #1. They are out of Nv. and N.C. ( www.hybridtechnologies.com )

Any more INFO .... any one ???

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Azure responded fast to my email and sent me pdf's on the controller and motor like I asked.

Also a123 responded and said:
"Good morning. Our capacity for the 32 series cells is committed to OEM
programs through 2007. Thanks."

So I suddenly thought... why don't we all form a company, UEVH.inc (United Electric Vehicle Hobbyist's incorporated) or something and then we can make large orders of "OEM only blah blah" products (think lithium batteries) for all the members and anyone else we can sell to at a markup?

Or we can not sell and be a non-profit... I don't no what the benefits are to that, but I'm sure there are some. Think, a non-profit promoting environmentally friendly transportation.... there has got to be government subsidies or something... well thats already gone to Exxon, Walmart and Corn growing I guess. (It was a good idea ;)

Tehben

"United We Stand" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trws3k9vq6M&NR=1 This and related videos are
growing fast.  There are many manufacturers developing & producing electric
vehicles of the two wheel variety.  Seems they are making the best of
youtube for advertising.  Lawrence Rhodes.....

Dustin Stern wrote:
Can I solicit some comments about whether I should opt for direct
drive or a transmission in my EV project?

With a light vehicle (2200 lbs), powerful controller (Zilla 1K), and only one drive wheel (3-wheel Vortex), I think a single fixed ratio will be fine. Depending on your rear tire diameter, something close to a 5:1 ratio would give you a 70+mph top speed and be able to spin the tire on dry pavement.

The Warp 9" motor will be fine if you include a blower to provide adequate cooling at low speeds where its internal fan isn't working.

(-Phil-) wrote:
I don't believe a contactor controller can be much [more] efficient than PWM.

Not "much" more efficient; but a *little* more efficient. Like I said,
99% vs. 94%. That's only 5% better, which isn't enough to even notice
without careful measurement.

Yes, at full throttle, the loss is less, but most of the time we are pushing less than full.

Except that any decent contactor controller will rewire the batteries
and/or motors in various series/parallel combinations to achieve speed
control. The resistors are out of the circuit for all speeds except
while starting from a dead stop. The resistors are only in the circuit
for a couple seconds, and only at very low voltages, so the power lost
in them is negligible.

Also, just getting up to full throttle is a problem, as it will be
less smooth, and we have more resistive losses to deal with the
higher inrush currents.

Dumping a motor to full on through a contactor causes more heating in
the batteries, cables, and motor windings.  If you use a resistor to
soften the start, then that's obvious loss!

The inrush current is actually pretty small with a series motor. Were you expecting it to be large?

A series motor behaves roughly like a resistor whose resistance is proportional to rpm. For a 2:1 step in voltage, the current also makes a 2:1 step (because the apparent motor resistance is fixed). Its inductance also delays and softens the rise and fall of current.

Suppose you want to drive at 40 mph, but your contactor controller has only steps at 30 mph and 45 mph. Say 30 mph = 3000 rpm = 100 amps at 36v; then your motor's equivalent resistance is 36v/120a = 0.3 ohms.

Now you step down to the next "click", and the voltage doubles to 72v. Since rpm hasn't changed (yet), motor equivalent resistance also won't changed; it's still 0.3 ohms. So motor current wants to go to I = 72v/0.3ohms = 240 amps.

Double the current means roughly double the torque; the car starts to speed up. But as it does, motor rpm and thus motor equivalent resistance also rise. So your speed won't double; it goes up perhaps 50% to 45 mph. The weight of the car and the torque of the motor will make this take 5-10 seconds. That's a pretty gradual acceleration.

At 40 mph (your target speed), the motor is at 4000 rpm, so its resistance has gone up to 0.4 ohms. The current is 72v / 0.4ohms = 180 amps. 45 mph is 4500 rpm, 0.45 ohms, and 160 amps.

The same thing happens when you let up the pedal one "click" to slow back down. It takes at least as long as it did to speed up, another 5-10 seconds. To maintain an average of 40 mph, you wind up cycling back and forth between 36v and 72v with a 10-20 second cycle, with gradual speed increases and decreases. A passenger may here the clicks, but probably won't notice the speed changes or feel the torque pulsations.

(-Phil-) wrote:
Also, all Curtis controllers I've looked at, don't have diodes in the path, just the MOSFETs.

The MOSFETs are in the path during controller on-time, and the diodes are in the path during the off-time. In effect, they are in series as far as motor current is concerned. Except at full-on, you need to consider the voltage drop of both of them.

Go through the math; you'll find out that indeed, the conduction losses are proportional to the the *sum* of the diode and transistor voltage drops.

MOSFETs typically don't have a .5v loss!

They act like resistors, and have a drop proportional to current. The MOSFETs in a controller are usually sized to have somewhere near a 0.5v drop. For example, the Curtis 1221-74xx (72-120v) controller specs a 0.5v drop per 100 amps, and the 1231 is 0.3v per 100 amps. 100-200 amps is the normal cruising current for EVs using these controller.

damon henry wrote:
Look at item 150122532092 on ebay.

That's a good high-current contactor, but it's not built for high voltages. It would be good for 72v and lower, or with multiple units in series (like for a contactor controller).

Didn't these cars have the drivetrain from MG? if so, maybe some MG parts?

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)