  1) RE: Speaking of battery announcements ... What about Firefly
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) desulfating.... 2 at a time?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) RE: Direct drive
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) electric mower - corded or battery
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: electric mower - corded or battery
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: electric mower - corded or battery
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: electric mower - corded or battery
        by "Obrien, Haskell W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Triangle wave generator
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: electric mower - corded or battery
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) electric riding mower
        by "midiguy732" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: electric mower - corded or battery
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: contactor amps
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: desulfating.... 2 at a time?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: desulfating.... 2 at a time?
        by electro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: contactor amps
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) RE: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
Any comments on these guys?

http://www.everspring.net/txt/product-battery.htm?gclid=CJfE-JDknIwCFQGPWAod
wm8k5w

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: electric mower - corded or battery
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:48:23 -0600

[...]

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

Anyone used a bully electric mower? I'm thinking about using one as the
basis for a R/C electric mower. (There, it's back on topic, sortof)

It's likely that you can run it on DC, so you can make it battery
powered,
but you will need to use 120 volts worth of batteries to power it.  You
will
also need to use a properly rated contactor or switch to turn it on or
off.
If someone handed me a perfectly good plugin lawn mower I would not
bother
making it battery powered, I would just make sure I have a long enough
extension cord.  I have a Black and Decker battery powered motor that I
have
had for 7 or 8 years now.  I love it, but since I can buy a brand new
one
for $400 I would not feel like it is worthwhile to try and convert a
corded
mower to battery power.

damon

>From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>Subject: electric mower - corded or battery
>Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:48:23 -0600
>
>Okay, this is the electric vehicle discussion list.  I am asking about
an
>electric push mower.  It is a little off topic, I imagine, but I can't
>think of anyone else I would rather ask, or who would be more
qualified.

>I had the opportunity to buy a 12 amp, electric mower that requires to
be
>plugged in.  I don't like the idea of having to stay plugged in, so I
>wondered, if it is still available, would I be able to battery power
this
>thing?  Would I need to change the motor?  If so, what would be a good
>motor to use?  Or is the corded mower better?
>
>I like the idea of not using a gas mower, and thought about using a
push
>reel mower, but having talked to someone about it, it sounds as if it
would
>require mowing more often than I really have time for.  He mentions at
>least twice a week.  So the next best thing is electric.  So now I ask
what
>to use.
>
>If this is too off topic, I would love to hear from you off list.  And
>appreciate your help.
>
>Brian
>---- Msg sent via @=WebMail - http://webmail.usu.edu/

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You'll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migr
ation_HM_mini_outlook_0507

OK, I've actually gotten started designing/prototyping my very own home made
SepEx controller
thanks to alot of you guys (and gals ;^) here on the list.

I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am using
the good ol' 741 Op
Amp with a single +5V power supply. Now I have been experimenting a bit and I
can get a pretty
good wave, BUT it is only good to about 50% Duty Cycle. with + peak at 4V and
the 50% flat part at
about 1V.

Is it possible to get a full triangle wave between 1 and 4v? Or even 1.5V to
3.5V? Or do I have to
go with a different Op Amp and/or a split power supply?

Thanks again,

Chet

____________________________________________________________________________________Get
 the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

Brandon Kruger writes:

> I regularly use a Black & Decker CMM1000 Cordless 24V Mower and it's always
> worked great.

Same for me.  I've had a CMM1000 since 2002 and am going on the sixth
season on the original batteries.  I figure that I use about half of
the charge for one mowing.  It's a mulching mower, so there's no raking
afterwards.

Ralph

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I for one think this kind of discussion is interesting and definitely on-topic. Having this kind of thing discussed and in the archives will help people in the future!

Do you have any volt/amp readings from your setup? When you are trying to go up the incline it would be very informative to read the controller amps/volts. On the alltrax I believe all you need is a laptop and a serial cable (plus their software, which you can download)

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Barkley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

A lot of messages are being Truncated it seems... ?

On May 21, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Brandon Kruger wrote:

> Anyone used a bully electric mower? I'm thinking about using one as
the
> basis for a R/C electric mower. (There, it's back on topic, sortof)

No, but I am considering converting my gas powered murray to a fully
electric mower.  I did the robot-mower thing already, but with an old
riding mower deck repowered with a B&S engine simply because of parts
availability.

When I joined this list a few weeks ago, I posted about this but the
post didn't make it through for some reason.  I'll repost.

Hello folks,

I recently joined this list because electric vehicles have always
fascinated me, even though there are some drawbacks as compared to
gasoline/diesel vehicles, mostly relating to range.

Before I embark into a more expensive project like a vehicle conversion,
I was pondering taking a "baby step" and converting an old riding mower
to fully electric, mostly as a learning tool about the process,
fabrication required, and enhance my somewhat basic of electrics.

After researching fairly extensively (on and off for approximately a
month or so) I'm left with a few questions, which I wish to pose to the
membership.

The riding mower has a 12HP B&S engine, with two pulleys.  One to drive
the transmission, one to drive the dual 22" mower blades.  Obviously I
could do this conversion the "easy way" and purchase a large motor and
extend the shaft to drive the two belt systems, leaving the motor to run
at 3000-3600 RPM and call it a day.

It's unclear to me how to properly size a motor to replace a gasoline
engine.  I understand gasoline engines are rated at max RPM and peak HP
and torque figures are given whereas electric motors are rated with
their continuous duty hp/torque figures.  Are there any mathematics or
at least a "rule of thumb" that might offer some clarity in sizing?

Another option I thought about was to purchase three smaller motors.
Two motors that would drive the two blades on the mower deck, and one
motor to drive the transmission directly.  The advantage I see with this
method would be to fully eliminate the two clutch mechanisms which are
simply pulleys that move, tightening the two belts.  These mechanisms
are troublesome at best, and wear the belts out fairly quickly (I find
flipping the mower on its side to replace them annoying, but that's me!)
I could instead use two contactors or relays - one switch/button to
actuate the drive motor, one to actuate the mower deck.

So I guess my second question is also about sizing.  How much HP or
wattage would an electric motor need to be to mow grass with a razor
sharp 22" blade?

It seems logical to me to size the motor(s) correctly first based on HP
and torque requirements, then use those figures to determine wiring,
controller, and battery sizing.

Because the mower has a 5-sp transmission, I would imagine I don't need
to install a variable speed controller though maybe for the drive motor
if I go with separate motors.  I'd also like to retain the transmission
because there are cases where having a low first and second gear has
been useful (I've towed 1500lbs of patio blocks in a trailer with this
mower).

I see no reason for the mower deck to have any controller other than
current limitation to protect the motors.  On/Off would be more than
adequate.

Comments, thoughts, flames welcomed.

    Brian> I had the opportunity to buy a 12 amp, electric mower that
    Brian> requires to be plugged in.  I don't like the idea of having to
    Brian> stay plugged in, so I wondered, if it is still available, would I
    Brian> be able to battery power this thing?  Would I need to change the
    Brian> motor?  If so, what would be a good motor to use?  Or is the
    Brian> corded mower better?

I've owned a Toro E24 (24VDC) mower since 2001.  I just replaced the battery
pack for the first time a few weeks ago with a slightly higher capacity pack
(18ah v. 12ah I believe) than that available from Toro.  It was also
substantially cheaper to boot.

If you want to go cordless I imagine there are a few of them floating
around.  I'd prefer that to converting a corded electric to cordless.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Ahg! I swear I fixed this before.  I don't know how it gets reset.  Sorry all.

From last message:
Good idea.  I would support and help in any way I could.  Another
thing to keep in mind is you might be able to write off various things
on taxes.  Possibly utility bills for recharging EVs, etc.  Anyone
else willing to contribute?

Brandon Kruger

On 5/21/07, Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A lot of messages are being Truncated it seems... ?

On May 21, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Brandon Kruger wrote:

> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
> *       Lists at  sjsu.edu only accept PLAIN TEXT         *
> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *

On May 20, 2007, at 5:42 PM, mike golub wrote:

How many amps does it take for a contactor to close,
and
how much amps does it use to remain shut.

Any guesses?

No guesses, I have 2 of the very common Albright SW200 contactors (with 12v coils) in my garage. They are generally operated without any type of economizer circuit. The coils have a 4.2 ohm resistance. Depending on the voltage in your 12 volt system you will be looking at 3 to 3.5 amps.

I also have a Cozonka III contactor in my garage, but it has a built in economizer circuit (I can't just take my ohm meter to it.) The manufacturer's spec sheet tells me it demands 1.7 to 1.8 watts to hold it on at 12 volts. Experience tells me that thing must pull around 6 amps for a fraction of a second while it pulls in. After that it draws very little.

Paul "neon" G.

On 21 May 2007 at 15:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hence the need for desulfating ...

Otherwise known as "charging."

David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
On 21 May 2007 at 15:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hence the need for desulfating ...

Otherwise known as "charging."

http://www.dallas.net/~jvpoll/Battery/aaDesulfatorSurvey.html is a page I found in a quick search that says it is different than charging.
Phil, thanks for your support in this matter -  I have
produced controller data for Alltrax by attempting to
drive up on auto service ramps and logging the data.

Alltrax came back, telling me that the controller was
immediately going into current limit.  If anyone wants
that data, I'd be happy to send it to them. I believe
it was pulling 400+ amps at the motor, and the 72vdc
pack voltage was sagging down to around 66vdc.  As
long as I stop on level grade, the car takes off fine,
and will climb inclined grades.

Alltrax, hasn't offered a resolution, I asked about a
controller bypass, (at say 24vdc) at least for the
initial boost to get the car rolling, and then switch
back to the controller, but haven't heard anything
from them on that idea.   Some of the seasoned EV'rs
might know of a way to make something like that work.

--- "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I for one think this kind of discussion is
> interesting and definitely
> on-topic.  Having this kind of thing discussed and
> in the archives will help
> people in the future!
>
> Do you have any volt/amp readings from your setup?
> When you are trying to
> go up the incline it would be very informative to
> read the controller
> amps/volts.   On the alltrax I believe all you need
> is a laptop and a serial
> cable (plus their software, which you can download)
>
> -Phil

Michael Barkley

  www.texomaev.com

Hello Michael,

A engineer friend of mine built his first EV using a 28 volt Aircraft
Starter that was use in a VW BUG.  Use 48 volts of floor cleaner batteries,
a controller he built himself.  The axle gear ratio something over 4 to 1.

The EV could out accelerated my EV and could go up some steep grades.

It was found by experimentation, that it took about 2400 watts of battery
power to move about 100 lbs of weight with a overall ratio of 1:1 or one to
one.

So if the vehicle weighs about 3000 lbs, than  3000/100 = 30.  Then 30 x
2400 watts = 72000 watts to move the vehicle with a 1:1 final gear ratio.

This vehicle had about 4:1 ratio, so 72000 watts / 4 = 18000 watts or 18kw.
Therefore 18,000 watts / 746 = about 24 hp.

If the motor does not have the hp or the torque, then try to add more
overall gear ratio by changing the axle ratio or shift to a lower gear
transmission.

> Please, if anyone can help me with a solution, to my
> torque problem from a deadstop, I sure would like to,
> off list talk with you.  I don't want to bother the
> list with an ongoing discussion, as I know using an
> aircraft generator as a motor, isn't the smartest way
> to go (Dang you "MotherEarthFarce" for hooking me with
> that 75mpg article) before I found this EV'r list.
>
> That disclaimer aside, here's my problem, I think:
> I'm using an Aircraft Generator J29 to be exact, it's
> not a combo, starter/generator and therefore it seems
> to be lacking in starting torque as a motor.
>
> Is there anyway to salvage my EV and still use this
> motor somehow?  It has plenty of pep and speed once it
> gets going, but the EV will not go if it's on an
> incline using an AXE 7245 controller @ 72vdc. I just
> purchased brand new batteries, and although it's
> better, the car will not overcome an incline from a
> deadstop.
>
> Please, if you have any ideas - send them to me off
> list, as I don't want to fill up email boxes of the
> others that aren't interested in this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance - Mike
>
> Michael Barkley
>
>   www.texomaev.com

That's a shame.  I've spoken to A123 on the telephone in the last few
months, and the rep was exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful and
recommended several resell outlets.  At the time we didn't talk about series
32 (I also looked at the website today - nice batteries).

I know they're the supplier for the Volt (I forgot where I read it, but
several news sources said they, and not Cobasys, had been chosen to supply
batteries).  They also supply batteries to the Prius (among other hybrids)
PHEV supplies (thanks Bill Dube for pointing that out).  On top of that, the
military sucks up batteries as well, and I have a strong suspicion the
military is ramping up purchasing of phosphate batteries for radios and the
like.  So I doubt A123 was being caustic - they probably really don't have
manufacturing capacity to cover their 2007-2009 demand.  Battery demand is
going through the roof.

The good news is that A123 and similar battery suppliers will probably
respond by opening more factories and increasing supply...which should lead
to some oversupply and price reductions.  Already lithium ions are going
down.

By the way, does anyone know what's happening with Valence?  Are they going
to add any new batteries or increase production?  I like their batteries
because the have built in BMSs, they just don't have much amperage.

Dustin