  1) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: electric mower - corded or battery
        by "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: electric mower - corded or battery
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) RE: Low cost battery materials
  5) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 10,0000 cycles (was: Battery chart for a hand-out...)
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: electric riding mower
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Charging Stations
        by "Chuck Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
 11) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: electric mower - corded or battery
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Low cost battery materials
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Thanks for Charging Station Input!
        by "Chuck Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
 21) Re: Triangle wave generator
     It has two large terminals, and two small
terminals. Terminals A & D are small, Terminals E & B
are large.  Terminal A & B are wired together and tied
to the Positive wire of the pack.  Terminal E is tied
to the Negative wire of the pack.  Terminal D is
unused.  I apologize in earlier posting, the motor is
a G-29 Generator made by J&H, not a J29.  Darn typo's

I had tried a SEPEX controller to begin with, and it
wouldn't run the motor, so I went to the Alltrax 7245
and wired it as above to make it a shunt motor, I
purchased the motor from SurplusCenter, and they had
the wiring layout as above to use the generator as a
motor.

Thanks for your help.

> Mike,
>
> It is hard to see in the pictures.  Is this a 4
> terminal machine?  Two large (armature)?  Two
> smaller
> (field)?  How it wired to the controller?  I might
> have an idea about what's going on.
>
> Jeff

Michael Barkley

  www.texomaev.com

From: Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

First you might want to talk to Tom Dowling at
EVchargernews.com about this.

Thanks!

As far as paying for power, for a college it would
probably be relatively insignificant money wise (and
maybe I'm thinking on the scale of Arizona State with
78,000 students).

We're pretty small. About that many people in
the whole town. :)=)} Our enrolment is in
the 10,000 range.

You make some good points re: enforcement and
payment. Close enough to be attractive and far
enough not to be full all the time would be ideal.

As for payment -- of course my preference would
be to see how much of a hit it generates, but
of course the folks in the Power Tower would
like to see it be "self supporting."

I saved your comments to pass along to others.

Thanks again.

Chuck

See Fireworks On Live Image Search http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP
Hey guys;   I posted wiring diagrams of the current
configuration on my website.  They should shed light
on the wiring, and application this discussion is
talking about.

www.texomaev.com

Click on the "My Current Conversion Project" link
towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks again so much for all your help on this matter.
:>) Mike

____________________________________________________________________________________Need
> a vacation? Get great deals
> to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
> http://travel.yahoo.com/

Michael Barkley

  www.texomaev.com

I was just looking at the www.electroautomotive.com site and their AC kit is
around 15k with batteries.  After all the talk of what's available I'm
begining to think that is a bargain.  If you are a miser it will go 150
miles on the flat.  I'm not sure what it will do on the freeway or going
from San Jose, CA to Santa Cruz over the mountain.  It just seems with kits
like that available no one should have to go without an electric vehicle.
Lawrence Rhodes......

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
FWIW, something 99% efficient is ~5 times more efficient than 94% efficient (while, yes, it's only 5% in absolute difference).

To illustrate difficulty, to go from 99% to 99.5% you *double
existing 99% efficiency. Add "just" 1% and you made something
infinitely more efficient (100%)...

You should be in marketing, Victor! :-)

I think it would be deceptive marketing to advertise something as "5 times more efficient" if you improved efficiency from 94% to 99%. But, I do see people making claims like this (usually to sell stock in some scheme).

But that's not how I was taught to do it. You can say "5 times lower losses", because the power lost was indeed reduced by 5:1. But not "5 times higher efficiency", because that would imply going from 94% to 5x94% = 470% which is over unity and impossible.

Michael Barkley wrote:
I'm using an Aircraft Generator J29 to be exact, it's
not a combo, starter/generator and therefore it seems
to be lacking in starting torque as a motor...
Please, if anyone can help me with a solution, to my
torque problem from a deadstop, I sure would like to,
off list talk with you.

I agree that this is on-topic, as a number of people have used, or are interested in using these old beasts.

I used a Jack & Heinz 30v 500a aircraft generator in my first EV, too. Torque was lower than a series motor, but I made up for it by hitting it with 1000+ amps. I used a contactor controller (Zillas had an even longer deliver time in those days) :-) Tire burnouts were no problem; I'd lose traction before failing to climb any hill.

Both the generators and the starter/generators have series windings. The generators have only two large terminals, and a small series field which is internally connected as a compensation winding (to boost voltage under load so the output voltage does not sag).

The starter/generators have three large terminals, and a larger series field. When you connect to the outer two large terminals, you are getting the armature and series field in series.

It is important to run it in the right direction. The correct direction of rotation was stamped right on mine. Since you can't reverse the phasing of the series field, the correct direction will also reveal itself if you power the outer two of the three large terminals.

The shunt field has one end internally connected to the armature. This also forces it to turn in only the correct direction (assuming the field is powered with a supply of the same polarity as the armature). You can easily disconnect this internal connection, so both sides of the shunt field are available externally. This allows you to get electrical reverse *BUT* I found that torque in reverse is significantly lower because the two fields are now opposing rather than aiding each other.

What are you using for your field supply? If you simply switch it to a constant voltage of less than 30v, you will get a low-speed moderately high-torque motor. To increase speed, you must reduce field current; but that will also reduce torque.

I found that you can supply a significantly higher shunt field voltage to get significantly higher torque -- but only for a very short time before the field winding overheats. I had a 72v pack, and could connect the field to 72v for perhaps 30 seconds max. This produced drastically higher torque; enough to slip the clutch or spin the tires on dry pavement.

Hope this helps!
--
Patent examiner to applicant: "No, your application seem to be legal. I'm just having trouble classifying it as intellectual property."
        -- Frank and Ernest

I had the opportunity to buy a 12 amp, electric mower that requires
to be plugged in.  I don't like the idea of having to stay plugged
in, so I wondered, if it is still available, would I be able to
battery power this thing?  Would I need to change the motor?  If so,
what would be a good motor to use?  Or is the corded mower better?

I used a corded electric mower for many years. About half of them it was powered from batteries.

All of these mowers seem to have brushed DC motors, with a bridge rectifier off the AC line to convert it to DC. In my case, I had a flat yard but with a lot of trees, so the cord was a nuisance. So I bought a bunch of surplus Gates Cyclon 2v 2.5ah cells (sealed cylindrical lead acid, about the size of a D-cell). I arranged 60 of them in a donut-shaped ring that fit around the motor. The "controller" was just a contactor, switched on/off by the switch in the handle.

I used it for about 5 years this way. Over the years, the cells died one by one and had to be eliminated, until I got down to about 80v left. At that point I moved to a house that had a full story height difference between the front and back yards, so I converted it back to a corded mower.

Chet Fields wrote:
OK, I've actually gotten started designing/prototyping my very own home made
SepEx controller
thanks to alot of you guys (and gals ;^) here on the list.

I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am using
the good ol' 741 Op
Amp with a single +5V power supply. Now I have been experimenting a bit and I
can get a pretty
good wave, BUT it is only good to about 50% Duty Cycle. with + peak at 4V and
the 50% flat part at
about 1V.

Is it possible to get a full triangle wave between 1 and 4v? Or even 1.5V to
3.5V? Or do I have to
go with a different Op Amp and/or a split power supply?

A 741 doesn't work very well at only 5v. Its inputs and outputs can't get very close to the supply voltages. It was normally used with +/-15v supplies.

Here's a schematic of a debugged PWM controller with current limiting, overtemperature protection, etc. It is suitable for a sepex motor field, or even a small PM or series motor (and could be expanded to drive larger ones).

http://austinev.org/evalbum/tech/petroson.pdf#search=%22petrosonics%20controller%22

GWMobile wrote:
I realize some here only want the highest performance.
But I would like to find the lowest cost materials for homemade batteries.
The point has been made that lead is expensive.
All metals have some electrolytic properties even if perhaps not as good as lead of the more advanced ones.
What else can a battery be made of?

Start with the "electromotive series", which is a table found in any good chemistry or physics textbook. There's a simplified one online at
http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/e/l/electromotive%20series/source.html
The complete chart lists hundreds of elements and compounds, and the corresponding voltages for all sorts of oxidation/reduction reactions. Hydrogen is about in the middle, so they arbitrarily assigned it a value of 0 volts. Every other material develops some voltage relative to this.

To make an electrochemical cell (what most people call a battery), take any two materials from this chart, and put them in an electrolyte (a liquid that conducts electricity), with some insulating spacer between them so they don't actually touch (like a woven fiberglass mat or screen).

The voltage that this cell produces is the difference in their voltage in this chart. For example, copper is -0.47v and iron is +0.44v, so copper and iron in a bucket of water produce 0.91v.

Now, this will give you a primary cell; the iron will rust in the water, as it discharges, and you can't turn the rust back into iron by charging it. The challenge is to find a pair of materials that can undergo *reversible* chemical reactions, where both the oxidized and reduced forms (like iron and iron oxide) are both electrical conductors, and will stay attached to the plates.

Also note that the really good materials with high numbers are either violently reactive (like lithium, +3.02v, which explodes in water) or obscenely expensive (like gold, -1.42v, at hundreds of dollars an ounce).

The surface area of your plates determines the maximum current you can draw. Thus, you want to find materials that you can process to produce very large surface areas; spongy or porous etc.

The weight of the materials determines the amphour capacity. This is the killer for expensive materials.

Hundreds of the material combinations in this table have been explored, but there are hundreds of combinations that haven't been tried (yet).

Chet,

is there any reason not to use a microcontroller with PWM outputs?

Chet Fields wrote:

I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am using
the good ol' 741 Op

Quite the discussion, thanks for all the input.
It's good to have several people's experience
to draw on for this -- particularly people who
are doing it right now!

So a big thanks and tip of the propellor beanie
to Matt, Phil, Ralph, Rich, and Ricky.

Chuck

Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself! www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147

that link is http://www.electroauto.com

> ...and their AC kit is around 15k with batteries.  After all
> the talk of what's available I'm begining to think that is a
> bargain. If you are a miser it will go 150 miles on the flat.

i'm a lurker, still in the dreaming stage with this, but i didn't realize
their kits had that kind of range. i'm hoping to have the time to seriously
begin tinkering this fall.

the 914 seems to be a somewhat popular conversion, and electro's kit may
have something to do with that.

while i like the 914, i've been wondering if the boxster might be a better,
more modern equivalent. what does the list think, too heavy? i've seen beat
up boxsters selling for reasonable prices on ebay, and i'd imagine that
parting out the ICE equipment would yield a nice payback.

thanks, i'll go back to lurking.

m.

Michael Wendell
Web/Graphics Guy
Speedgoat Bicycles

724.238.7181

I had thought first of using a microcontroller, but then good advice from the
list suggested that
it may not be a good idea as it may lock up and cause the MOSFETs to be stuck
on. I don't really
know of a good way to protect from that happening except for maybe some fuses
or something.

I did think that a microcontroller like a PIC would give me alot of flexibility
though. I am a
programmer professionally so I would definitely be more in my element instead
of designing these
discrete analog circuits, although I have to admit it has been and still looks
like a lot of fun
if I can get it working.

I thought of starting with the analog and then moving later (perhaps) into the
PIC if I can come
up with the proper scheme to protect against a dangerous situation with a lock
up.

Chet

--- tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chet,
>
> is there any reason not to use a microcontroller with PWM outputs?
>
> Chet Fields wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am
> > using the good ol' 741
> Op

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

http://www.electroauto.com/ sorry here is the right url.  Lawrence
Rhodes.....
> around 15k with batteries.  After all the talk of what's available I'm
> begining to think that is a bargain.  If you are a miser it will go 150
> miles on the flat.  I'm not sure what it will do on the freeway or going
> from San Jose, CA to Santa Cruz over the mountain.  It just seems with
kits
> like that available no one should have to go without an electric vehicle.
> Lawrence Rhodes......

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- That's pretty close to nonsense. IIRC the person claiming this has no experience with microcontrollers.

A uC is a fine way to generate a PWM signal. It is far easier to design a system- and do it right- with a uC. There's an awful lot to designing an analog controller. The analog controller has a lot more that can go wrong with it. You need a lot of inside information on how each type of component may fail to start to work the problems out.

It's important to understand however that being able to generate a PWM is only a small part of the design problem for an EV controller. The output transistors are large and expensive to obtain and very tricky to mount where you can meet their extreme thermal, mechanical, and electrical needs. The transistor driver, where we take 0 to 5v or whatever PWM and turn it into a transistor drive with the appropriate voltage level and best waveform shape is tricky too.

Danny

Chet Fields wrote:
I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am using
the good ol' 741
Op

Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/