  1) Re: EV digest 6808
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) AGNS misses 168 record
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) RE: AGNS misses 168 record
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Watt-hour semantics question
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: AGNuS up close and personal
        by "Garret Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: How regen works
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by "Andrew A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
 15) Aircraft Generator starting torque issue. - Resolved!!
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Watt-hour semantics question
 17) Address change
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: AGNuS up close and personal
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) RE: Aircraft Generator starting torque issue. - Resolved!!
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Ground and neutral connections for isolation transformer
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: White Zombie gets to 'test' drive Lithium!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Victor N. Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wednesday was a day of anomalies.

1. The Electropolitan twists up her driveshaft at 50 MPH.
2. A Bat reg catches fire.
3. Perfect weather in Thompson OH wih no wind, no clouds, and 87 degrees.
4. AGNS runs a 12.888 at 103, a 12.818 at 103, and a 12.888 at 103.
5. AGNS runs 95 MPH in the 1/8 only to fall on her face 3 times and limp to 103 MPH in the 1/4
5. A Zilla hairball fails after run 2 with a bad internal connection.

All in all just a weird but fun day. About the 168 runs:
It became apparent after 1 run that the 2 batteries I stole from the Metro to bump AGNS' volts to 168 were not on the same cycle path as the other 12. I cycled them through and brought up to temp 3 times before we went to track but after run #1 when I talked to Denis, looked at the time slip, measured battery temp, and watched the bats fill back up it was painfully clear they were not up to snuff. AGNS roared out to 95 in the 1/8th them fell asleep 3 times to finish at 103. Compare this to Saturday when she only ran 81 in the 1/8th and pulled all the way to 106 in the 1/4. My fault. We finished our first two runs at 7:30, recharged and were in line for eliminations when the hairball connection failed. We checked everything but could not get the main contactor off light to glow. By the time I found that the plug for the 2 voltage inputs was loose it was too late, we missed our turn and were out. Too bad because with times of 12.888, 12.817 , and 12.888 I would say we were dead consistent. We finally got a consolation run at 10:30 pm. I taped up the hairball to put enough pressure on the input plug to make it work and we ran exactly the same time again. Who wants consistently slow? Not me. Give me a 1/2 second breakout any day! A real life lesson that once again proves....
IT'S THE BATTERIES STUPID!

Shawn

It is a strange warped fellow who calls 12.8 @ 103mph on a minibike slow!!

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Actually the SIERRA line on the masterflux website looks to be a good
unit.  It runs with R134A and will run on DC from 48V to 100 V.  The
spec sheets say it can drive a 45 degree evaporator temperature.  The
big question in my mind is HOW MUCH!!!!

From: Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Aircraft Generator starting torque issue. - Resolved!!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:40:32 -0700 (PDT)

"Holy Batman" as Robin would have put it.  Jeff, I
reversed the wires on the motor as you said, tapped
off with 36 volts to the field termainal.  Now I can
spin the tires in 1st, do 45mph in 2nd, 55mph in 3rd,
and 65mph in 4th, and still have pedal remaining.
Thank you so much for the help.  Now I've got to come
up with 36volts worth of batteries to mount under the
hood just for the field power.

Thanks again, all you guys for your help, you all
ROCK!!!       www.TexomaEV.com

--- Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Try reversing leads on the motor.  Take motor
> terminal
> B and connect to controller terminal M-.  Motor
> terminal E to B+.  And then motor terminal A (field)
> to 36 volt tap of battery pack.  This should power
> the
> shunt field with the upper half of the battery pack,
> in the correct direction.
>
> I think the way you did it you was to try to use the
> lower half of battery pack, then when the chopper
> was
> on, it brought up the voltage at motor terminal E to
> higher than mid 36 volt.  So the field was
> conducting
> backwards.
>
> Jeff

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507
Roland,

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Guy

> There are 90vdc 1.5+hp PM treadmill motors on EBay all the time. Usually
> less than 50 bucks. Why wouldn't one of those work?
>
> I was on my tread for 1.5hrs the other day, when I got off it my wife got
> on for another 30mins. I don't think duty-cycle will be a problem.
>
> --
> Stay Charged!
> Hump
> I-5, Blossvale NY

Still (slowly) working on getting my charging setup complete.  (Boy
will it be nice to charge at more than the 9 amps my one shaky 120V
breaker can provide.)

Here's my layout.  My power meter is mounted on my garage wall.
There's a separate box for a Time Of Use meter.  (I think those were
for running your dryer at night at a lower off-peak rate.)  The TOU
meter isn't installed, but a cable comes from that box into the garage
to a separate service entrance box.  This is the line I'm using to
charge.  I'll run some NM-B cable to a rainproof outside box with a
NEMA 14-50 outlet and a 50 amp GFCI breaker.

I also have a big isolation transformer that I'd like to put on this
circuit, preferably between the service entrance panel and the outside
box.  It's 5 kVA, can take up to 480 VAC and has center taps, so it
should be up to the task.  I know my PFC20 doesn't need a neutral, but
I'd like to wire this up as properly as possible.

I may be an electrical dummy, but I know enough to realize that
grounds and neutrals can confuse even the pros.  Throwing isolation
and GFCI into the picture doesn't help.

Here's what (I think) I know.  The two hots from the service entrance
panel go to the primary of the transformer, no connection to the
primary center tap.  Ground from the outside box goes direct to the
service entrance box and is bonded to the enclosure.  The hots of the
receptacle are connected to the ends of the transformer secondary.
Here are my questions:

1. Should the receptacle neutral be connected to the center tap of the
transformer secondary?  I know that will give the 120VAC you'd expect,
but this isolated neutral won't be connected to ground at the service
entrance panel.

2. Will the GFCI work properly this way?  My thinking is that the
isolated voltage has no reference to ground, so you could
theoretically grab a hot in one hand, a ground in the other and never
feel a tingle - the GFCI would do nothing, nor would it need to.
Unless of course you have an isolation failure.  Then you would have a
path to ground and the GFCI would trip as expected, correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'd really like to get this
right.  Just a thought, do the codes regarding "isolated ground"
circuits (those orange outlets you see in office buildings) have any
relevance here?  If not, let's not even bring them up - that's a whole
'nuther subject that confuses the pros.  ;^)

--- John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> With
> Killacycle shooting for the 7s and our quest for the
> 11s, I like the
> ring of it...Oh thank heaven, for 7 - 11! (credit
> Jim Husted for making
> the 7 - 11 connection)

Hey John, credit where credits due, it wasn't I who
chimed this first.  Can't remember who it was but I
believe it was EVen their birthday.  To bad the race
will fall 2 days late of the date 7/11/7 8^)

For me on top of the awesome things people are doing
this year has been the feeling that as a group we are
growing and that the comrodery is also growing.

Anyway just wanted to set the facts straight, I
already take more credit than is due 8^P
Cya

Best regards,
Victor N. Smalley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]