  1) How to search archives
        by Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Mustang Conversions (Was: How to search archives)
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Room to Share at Power of DC
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Portland, Oregon: EVents in October '07 ?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Portland, Oregon: EVents in October '07 ?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Another new member consulting list - now, DC-DC 's
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating  for bussbars ?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) drag bike project on ebay
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Starting business...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Tour de Sol replacement June 9 and 10 in New Jersey
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: How to search archives
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Electric bike story in the L.A. Times
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) EV bumper sticker
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Freund)
 23) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating for bussbars ?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV bumper sticker
        by 58 Ghia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) FW: Best Conversion Vehicle
        by "Guy Stockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Almost !#it myself when I got this email!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 27) Re: EV bumper sticker

Roy LeMeur wrote:

Folks...

I have to agree with Bill's take on this one instead of John's as to solid as opposed to flexible buss bars.

To remind everyone, here's some of what I said:

>....yes, flexible cables and or flat conductive braided straps are the safest way to go for Phil's above stated reasons. >In general, flexible cables are the best way of inter-connecting EV batteries.

See Ya.....John Wayland

Here are a couple of Mustang conversions from the EV Album:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/733

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/98

--- Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question I have is fairly basic and could probably be answered fairly
> quickly.  I have a 68
> Mustang that I wanted to convert to electric.  I want to convert this
> particular car because I
> love the styling, owned it for so long and want to continue to enjoy it, yet
> not pollute and
> consume gas in horrible manner that this car does.  This car is not a daily
> driver but a fun
> weekend car, so I would not require long driving times, but would want the
> car to still be able
> to accelerate quickly and handle decently.
>
> My research is leading me to believe that this car is not going to be a
> suitable platform for
> the conversion.  Weight is going to be a problem very quickly as the car
> starts off fairly heavy
> (around 3000 lbs).  The unibody construction and limited places for batteries
> also will create
> problems.
>
> I have only found one instance on the internet where this has been tried and
> it was well over
> ten years ago.  I have not been able to find out the fate of this particular
> car and if it was a
> miserable failure.  Anyone know of a conversion of this sort?  Is this just a
> bad plan
> altogether?

____________________________________________________________________________________Be
 a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

--- Begin Message --- I expect to be at the Power of DC for both days, am willing to share my room at the Hampton Inn (complete with expenses!) Friday and Saturday nights if anyone is so inclined. My contact info: (614) 488-4254, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,

Dave Erb

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm going to be in the Portland, Oregon area for a wedding October 12-13, and will be spending some time visiting in the area.

So... any EV type events already known within a week or so of those dates (ie between ~ Oct 3 & Oct 23)(ish) that I should plan around?

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's

with all the talk of solid bars vs. mesh straps...  assuming that solid bars
would transfer power better, but don't deal with vibration as well as mesh
straps... has anyone considered building some flex into the solid bars?

i could explain what i mean, but a simple illustration is much better:

 - http://www.kwyjibo.com/public/battery-bar.gif

would this work?

m.

Hi Michael,

Yea, got the right idea.  You'd probably just need one
hump.  And laminate if cross section causes it to be
too stiff.  I've posted this before.  Have used it
many times.

http://www.erico.com/products/FlexibarN.asp

Works great.

Jeff

--- Michael Wendell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> with all the talk of solid bars vs. mesh straps...
> assuming that solid bars
> would transfer power better, but don't deal with
> vibration as well as mesh
> straps... has anyone considered building some flex
> into the solid bars?
>
> i could explain what i mean, but a simple
> illustration is much better:
>
>  - http://www.kwyjibo.com/public/battery-bar.gif
>
> would this work?
>
> m.

____________________________________________________________________________________Get
 the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

Another option along these lines, or not, but arguably better, is the use of
a stack of thin copper sheet material.  Here's a mechanical manual
disconnect switch implemented from a stack of thin copper sheets forming a
VEE shape that mates with a VEE-shaped copper target----lots of conductive
surface with this strategy: http://home.comcast.net/~matwete/ev/dcam0143.jpg
This image is from a cca. 1912 Rauch & Lang electric car speed control arm
(patented) that I have.
It truly is a unique manual contact arrangement and interconnect approach
that I have not seen anyone replicate, either for a manual disconnect or
simply as a potentially flexible interconnect approach between batteries or
other components.
The downside is of course that with flex there is risk of breakage as well
as greater surface area available for corrosion.

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

with all the talk of solid bars vs. mesh straps...  assuming that solid bars
would transfer power better, but don't deal with vibration as well as mesh
straps... has anyone considered building some flex into the solid bars?

i could explain what i mean, but a simple illustration is much better:

 - http://www.kwyjibo.com/public/battery-bar.gif

would this work?

m.

Hello Michael,

That would work if its soft drawn copper.  We sometimes use hard drawn
copper wire in our electrical work, which is use for suspension work, and
will not sag.

As for plating this copper, the silver plating is a good conductor which has
13 electrons in the valance orbit, but it will increase in resistance
because it will tarnish. The contact point which would be lead against the
silver the silver lead a tarnish spot on the connector.

I found this out with standard cadmium plated battery connectors.  The
connector plating was being remove by the bi-metal contact.

I now use a gold plate battery clamps, for the last 4 years, which is as
bright as the day I install it. Acid fumes does not effect these clamps and
very little shrink back.

> with all the talk of solid bars vs. mesh straps...  assuming that solid
> bars
> would transfer power better, but don't deal with vibration as well as mesh
> straps... has anyone considered building some flex into the solid bars?
>
> i could explain what i mean, but a simple illustration is much better:
>
>  - http://www.kwyjibo.com/public/battery-bar.gif
>
> would this work?
>
> m.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- That's towards the end of the drag racing season, so weather permitting, and if White Zombie is still in one piece, you may be able to catch WZ out at PIR.

damon

From: Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Portland, Oregon: EVents in October '07 ?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:17:45 -0400

I'm going to be in the Portland, Oregon area for a wedding October 12-13, and will be spending some time visiting in the area.

So... any EV type events already known within a week or so of those dates (ie between ~ Oct 3 & Oct 23)(ish) that I should plan around?

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's
1997 Solectria Force
1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel
http://www.eeevee.com

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:22:40 -0700, Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I guess I'm missing something, b/c I'm after the
breaker, but before the main contactor, and only did
the pre-charge the first time I hooked up.

The input capacitors on the DC/DC lose their charge when you turn the breaker off. When the breaker gets turned back on there will be a large inrush current and a little spark & "snap" in the breaker. The spark is hard on the breaker, and the high inrush current is bad for the capacitors. It's similar to a contactor connecting/disconnecting a Curtis controller to a traction pack.

Unlike the Curtis controller, your DC/DC isn't disconnected every time you stop/start your car. You may never see a problem, or you may get "lucky" with an early failure of the breaker or DC/DC.

Ideally the DC/DC is connected to the pack through a precharge resistor. When the voltage across the resistor falls to an acceptable level (12 volts? 10% of pack voltage?) a relay shorts across the resistor, effectively removing it from the circuit. You would also have to make sure the DC/DC enable line is turned OFF until the relay is closed.

Lots of precharge discussion in the archives. Look for "precharge", "precharge resistor", "light bulb", etc.

-Adrian

.

Yeah, now we're talkin'!
Good to see they've got an ampacity chart for their options also:
http://www.erico.com/public/library/panelboard/flexibar-ulampacity.pdf
-MT

Yea, got the right idea.  You'd probably just need one
hump.  And laminate if cross section causes it to be
too stiff.  I've posted this before.  Have used it
many times.

http://www.erico.com/products/FlexibarN.asp

Works great.

Jeff

--- Michael Wendell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> with all the talk of solid bars vs. mesh straps...
> assuming that solid bars
> would transfer power better, but don't deal with
> vibration as well as mesh
> straps... has anyone considered building some flex
> into the solid bars?
>
> i could explain what i mean, but a simple
> illustration is much better:
>
>  - http://www.kwyjibo.com/public/battery-bar.gif
>
> would this work?
>
> m.

________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
surfing.

--- Begin Message --- I did some "do-it-yourselves" with the cut copper tubing sections and welding cable. I made a little jig to crimp them with a hydraulic press. I used flux and a solder pot to only solder the first 3/4" or so of the tube once crimped. The solder wicked up to about an inch, but the flare in the tube was past that. I made a simpler jig out of wood to hold them on the drill press for drilling the terminal holes. It didn't work as well as I would have liked, but I had holes. I then took 2 pieces of heat shrink per end and built a nice color-coded strain relief. Finally, I took them to the grinding wheel to round the big square ends off.

I soldered them mainly because I was worried that exposure to the elements would create higher resistance as time went on. I don't believe the solder affected the mechanical strength adversely because of my technique. The heat shrink also only helped, plus made the ends look almost "factory". I was very impressed what I could do with simple tools!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Colin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>