  1) Re: Ah counter - PakTrakr
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Minimum flywheel thickness
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Ah counter
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Ah counter - PakTrakr
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Almost !#it myself when I got this email!!!
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) conversion candidate?
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Ah counter - Paktrakr
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Ah counter - Paktrakr
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Minimum flywheel thickness
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Zilla controller insides
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: electric motorcycle project
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Weather proofness of electric car components
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Charging batteries in parallel (Rescue GEM)
        by "Donald \(EV List\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Zilla controller insides
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Zilla controller insides
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Hall effect is neat because it's isolated and doesn't require a power supply from the pack to power the ADC. However, Hall Effect has 2 problems. One, it has a significant hysteresis error that offsets the reading. This is most a problem when the current is low for a long time though. Second is a sensor cannot tolerate surges beyond its max rating, even briefly. It will magnetize the sensor immediately and increase the error. So if you have a 200amp sensor and surge to 300amps on a hard acceleration there's a problem. When you go to larger sensors, try to find a 300 amp one, the ones with larger ratings always come with greater hysteresis errors. It works better if the controller has a solid, immediate current limit that matches the capabilities of the sensor. I say "immediate" because it can't just use a filter on the current sensor reading and fold back if the average over the last half second or whatever exceeds the limit. I'm pretty sure it needs to cut the PWM cycle short even within the cycle itself.

There's also a tricky part that many of these sensors have a somewhat small opening in them for the current they carry. You can't have terminal ends on it and still put it through the hole. The cable must be going through the sensor when it's built. Also the cable probably can't have insulation on it eithe since that cuts down a lot on the amount of copper you can get in there and any non-conductive space inside the hole decreases the accuracy of the device.

Danny

Michael Barkley wrote:

I'm currently BETA testing the PakTrakr with the
optional current sensor.

I like it, especially with the current sensor.  It
gives amp & watt usage in realtime, along with the
ability to give you realtime readings on each battery
in the pack, while driving or charging.
The current sensor is a HallEffect module, that you
simply run one of your high amperage cables through.
No interconnection to the pack for current reading.
There is a wire though for each positive terminal in
your pack, along with one terminal to the most
negative terminal in the pack.

It has several Graphic display modes, that you can
scroll through and choose to display.

Have been meaning to put up a page just for the
PakTrakr on my website, just haven't had the time to
do so yet. I'll do my best to shoot some photos of the
various screens in the current beta unit that I have.

I don't work for PakTrakr, just got lucky in getting
in on the BETA testing program.

Mike - www.texomaev.com

--- Adrian DeLeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Has anyone tried the PakTrakr?

http://www.paktrakr.com/

It has some interesting features (weak battery
warning, low water warning) and is inexpensive compared to an e-meter. $200 if you just need to count Ah and not monitor individual batteries.

.

A friend and I are converting a 2001 Saturn SL and though we have all
the parts necessary to assemble the motor and transmission, I've run
into a problem. The flywheel needs to sit closer to the motor than the
adapter plate we received will allow, because the diameter of the recess
is too small.

We'll need to remove a lot of material to make it fit, and this isn't
really a bad thing as it will be good to make it as light as possible
anyway.  My question is, how light is that?

Or more practically, is there a miinmum thickness we should shoot for,
out at the edge where the pressure plate attaches? Since in an EV
there's not a lot of slipping the clutch, I'm hoping that we don't have
to worry as much about heat and distortion. Then again there is a lot of
force involved from the springs, and I'd rather not ruin the flywheel by
making it too thin.  I was hoping we could leave about 3/8" -- is this
enough material? Can I take off more?

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- It does look like an interesting meter, but as far as I can tell it only has an optional part for sensing current not a feature for counting amp hours.

damon

From: "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Ah counter
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:59:37 -0700

Has anyone tried the PakTrakr?

http://www.paktrakr.com/

It has some interesting features (weak battery warning, low water warning) and is inexpensive compared to an e-meter. $200 if you just need to count Ah and not monitor individual batteries.

.

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
Danny, thanks for the info, I'll have to order a shunt
& amp meter, then compare readings.  I did strip the
insulation from the cables, stuffed as much copper in
the square hole (they are working on getting a round
version I believe) as I could and then reinsulated
each end of the cable. I'm still using lead battery
terminals, so it wasn't a problem building the cable.

Mike - www.texomaev.com

--- Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> >negative terminal in the pack.
> >
> >It has several Graphic display modes, that you can
> >scroll through and choose to display.
> >
> >Have been meaning to put up a page just for the
> >PakTrakr on my website, just haven't had the time
> >do so yet. I'll do my best to shoot some photos of
> the
> >various screens in the current beta unit that I
> have.
> >
> >I don't work for PakTrakr, just got lucky in
> getting
> >in on the BETA testing program.
> >

> >Mike - www.texomaev.com
> >

> >--- Adrian DeLeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone tried the PakTrakr?
> >>
> >>http://www.paktrakr.com/
> >>
> >>It has some interesting features (weak battery
> >>warning, low water warning)
> >>and is inexpensive compared to an e-meter. $200 if
> >>you just need to count
> >>Ah and not monitor individual batteries.

Torch or MIG welding aluminum is not commonly used for aircraft.
MIG welding on steel is also NOT common for aircraft. In fact it's far more than "frowned upon".

One of the top benefits of TIG is supposed to be that welds with poor penetration are obvious. MIG can cover them up and sometimes even an expert inspector cannot find the problem on a very weak weld.

MIG is not so good at very thin metal and VERY tricky to use for aluminum.

TIG is considered harder to learn than MIG, but not really. They say it's just a "special touch" to get a hang of. Then you can make better and more reliable welds than MIG fairly easily. On aluminum, learning TIG should be easier than trying to figure out how to use MIG on aluminum.

There is a oxyacetylene welding alloy for welding- actually I think it's brazing- aluminum. Can't recall the name of the product, it's expensive too. Didn't seem economical compared to TIG in the long run. There's a video on the net showing it and it looks spectacular. Showed testing where the aluminum would always fail before the joint which is hard to achieve with brazing or soldering on aluminum. However, IIRC it came up on another email list where some experienced welding guys had tried it and said it was really difficult to get good results. The video was probably done by somebody with a really magic touch making it look unrealistically easy. If it takes that much training to get right and then is not competitive with buying or renting a TIG if you need to weld a lot of aluminum, there's not a lot of call for it.

Danny

Eric Poulsen wrote:

Back before electric welding, _everything_ was welded using gas, including aluminum. Even today, people gas weld aluminum for aircraft. These guys: http://www.tinmantech.com/ offer equipment related to gas welding Al. Might be a cheaper route if you have a gas setup already. You'll need special flux (and their special goggles help, I'm told), and a lot of practice to weld aluminum.

They also sell aluminum solder and aluminum brazing flux/rod, cheap and easy. You can use a cheap MAPP torch with these:

http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.com/html/aero_solder.php
http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.com/html/aluminum_aero_braze.php

damon henry wrote:

It's been a couple of decades now since my High School welding class, and I really have not done any welding since, but at the time I was taught that you can only do aluminum with TIG.

damon

From: "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: electric motorcycle project
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:44:17 -0500

OK, I know it's a bit off topic, but I do need to make battery racks and add motor and trans mounts to my frame, can't think of using any steel beyond 1/4 inch, probably more like 1/8". I'd like to be able to do aluminum and maybe stainless. I've got a harbor freight nearby.

I'm pretty good with a torch on steel, but that throws a lot of extra heat. I don't mind spending $250 to $300 for a moderate power welder. What is the difference in cost of consumables between using a shielding gas and flux wire? Is there a flux coated rod you can use with a TIG torch for non-critical welds, or does it always need to use gas?

I'm looking at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91811
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93793

Can all MIG units do aluminum?

Can flux wire only do aluminum?

None of the under $300 MIG units mention DC, do they all do it? Is it unnecessary?

Is MIG easier than TIG, or just faster but less precise?

Flux wire, MIG, TIG or Arc?  Pros and cons please?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

Hey Bob. Sorry I'm off topic but this is related to the trailer thing.

I'm renting an equipment trailer from a rental company to haul my car. It's used to haul Bobcats and backhoes.

They usually rent those trailers out during the week to contractors so they sit at the rental place over the weekend. Last year they charged me $68.00 to rent an equipment trailer which is a good price. But before I could use it I had to repair the ramps so I could get my car up and I replaced one of the floor boards which was in bad shape and one floor board was missing. For the ramps I just bolted a 2 by 10 on top of each ramp so it would be smoother ride going up. The trailer is a bit big for hauling a Ford Escort and it had a pintel hitch but it worked out in the end. I'm using my Dad's diesel Ram truck so it can haul 18,000 pounds easily so the truck can easily tow the equipment trailer.

The good news is I called them again this year and they remembered me and said they got in brand new trailers that would hook up great with the truck. So I'm picking that up tomorrow afternoon.

But an equipment trailer is something to consider. One for a single Bobcat would work for your car.

U-haul has been a big problem to find trailers. They usually reserve them for people moving with the U-Haul vans. They seem to avoid renting them out to people who just want to move a car. That's what I found when I was renting them a few years ago.

Chip

From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 31, 2007 10:46:05 AM EDT
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Almost !#it myself when I got this email!!!

From: Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Ah counter - Paktrakr
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:01:39 -0700 (PDT)

I posted a FEATURES list of the PakTrakr at the
website:  www.texomaev.com  , click on the conversion
project link - scroll to the bottom picture (Paktraker
Features). Click on it to enlarge the photo enough to
read.

Not trying to push the PakTrakr, just thought some
might be interested in it, not to mention, let me know
of any issues to look out for, while beta testing.

Mike

--- damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It does look like an interesting meter, but as far
> as I can tell it only has
> an optional part for sensing current not a feature
> for counting amp hours.
>
> damon
>

> >From: "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> >Subject: RE: Ah counter
> >Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:59:37 -0700
> >
> >Has anyone tried the PakTrakr?
> >
> >http://www.paktrakr.com/
> >
> >It has some interesting features (weak battery
> warning, low water warning)
> >and is inexpensive compared to an e-meter. $200 if
> you just need to count
> >Ah and not monitor individual batteries.
> >
> >.

> Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with
> Windows Live Hotmail.

http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507

Michael Barkley

  www.texomaev.com

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Danny Miller wrote:
Torch or MIG welding aluminum is not commonly used for aircraft.
Not common amongst commercial aircraft, but moreso with home-built aircraft.
MIG welding on steel is also NOT common for aircraft. In fact it's far more than "frowned upon".

I think what we meant was "used for home-built aircraft" and therefore in reach
of EV builders.
JF

Danny Miller wrote:
Torch or MIG welding aluminum is not commonly used for aircraft.

Hello Christopher,

A racing type flywheel may weigh as less than 12 lbs.

To give you a ideal of what my flywheel is, which is normally for a 350
cu.in., the center flange is only 1/2 inch thick and the rest of the
flywheel wheel is 3/4 inch thick.  There is no recess in the back of the fly
wheel, but the center hole is a somewhat press fit over the a extended nose
of the motor coupler, so it centers it.  Also there should be a guild pin
between the flywheel bolt holes on the motor coupler which also centers the
flywheel onto the motor coupler.

The pressure plate holes are install in a 3/4 inch deep part of the
flywheel.  There was a back flange that made this edge about 1-1/5 inch
thick, but it was for mounting the ring gear and enough mass to balance a
external balance engine. All of this portion was cut away. The ring gear and
this part of the flywheel for 3-inches toward the center was made 3/4 inch
thick and than the 6.5 center is at 1/2 inch thick.

To move the flywheel back another 1/8 inch, it was easier to remove the
material off the back of the motor coupler.  I had to make sure that I leave
a little ridge on the back of the motor coupler, which will butt against the
motor bearing race which also turns with the shaft, but will not scrape on
the motor housing.

> A friend and I are converting a 2001 Saturn SL and though we have all
> the parts necessary to assemble the motor and transmission, I've run
> into a problem. The flywheel needs to sit closer to the motor than the
> adapter plate we received will allow, because the diameter of the recess
> is too small.
>
> We'll need to remove a lot of material to make it fit, and this isn't
> really a bad thing as it will be good to make it as light as possible
> anyway.  My question is, how light is that?
>
> Or more practically, is there a miinmum thickness we should shoot for,
> out at the edge where the pressure plate attaches? Since in an EV
> there's not a lot of slipping the clutch, I'm hoping that we don't have
> to worry as much about heat and distortion. Then again there is a lot of
> force involved from the springs, and I'd rather not ruin the flywheel by
> making it too thin.  I was hoping we could leave about 3/8" -- is this
> enough material? Can I take off more?
>

> --
> Christopher Robison
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://ohmbre.org          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm curious about what the zillas look like on the inside, does anyone have photos they could share? those of you that might think that's wrong to ask try to realize that curiosity is not a sin and that's how we learn. many of us have opened things to see what it looks inside even if we never really learned anything from it. Otmar certainly has opened a curtis or two in his time.

thanks in advance
Dan Frederiksen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Actually, even homebuilders usually only tack weld the frame tubes into place with a MIG, then truck it over to a TIG welder to finish the job all the way around.

There's one "shade tree" sort of mfg who makes MIG powered parachute frames. He's pretty good with it, better than the average joe, but has been heavily criticized at times. There was a case where a part which looked like a solid weld broke off- fortunately while it was being taxied around.

Danny

Eric Poulsen wrote:

Danny Miller wrote:

Torch or MIG welding aluminum is not commonly used for aircraft.

Not common amongst commercial aircraft, but moreso with home-built aircraft.

MIG welding on steel is also NOT common for aircraft. In fact it's far more than "frowned upon".

Just wondering what people's opinion/experience with the weather
resistance of electric car components is.  I was talking to someone
(an automotive mechanic) who just did a conversion of a '98 Ranger
with the 9" ADC, Curtiss controller, etc.  And he said that he wasn't
really happy with some of the components, not being suitable for
getting wet and dirt filled and such.  I know that I am used to being
able to powerwash the ICE engines of my cars at the carwash without
problems (diesel's so no ignition to get wet), and I drive through
puddles, snowdrifts, dusty dirt roads, all the time.  It seems that
any automobile component has to be able to handle a certain amount of
dirt and water.  But on lots of EV's I see naked terminals and
contactors and all kinds of stuff that wouldn't pass muster in the
weather.  Is this an issue with manufacturers of the components, or
price (I imagine it would drive the cost up a bit), or do people only
drive their EV's in nice sunny weather?

I remember when the Reva was being developed, it had to withstand
100,000 km of driving on dirt roads, and be able to ford 16" deep
water.  But that was India too  :)

Zeke

I have covered the plates and remember reading that I shouldn't fill the cells
if the battery is
discharged.  However, I also remember from the Battery FAQ that "The sulfate
crystals are more
soluble in water than in electrolyte."  Once the battery is 90 - 95% charged
should I add water
to within 1/4 inch of the filler tube to help further break down the sulfate?

Thanks
Donald

From: Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:40 pm
Subject: Zilla controller insides
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

MIKE WILLMON wrote:

> But he probably bought it and didn't ask anyone else to crack
> one open and send him the schematic.
> By one for yourself, and feel free to look through it for yourself.
> No one will fault you for being curious, or even looking
> through your own Zilla.
> The sin would be for me to give you information the owner of
> the information wouldn't want me to give.
> You are asking the list to do your dirty work.
> Do it yourself.

I understand where you are coming from, but if Otmar were going to lose
sleep over the possibility of others (even others interested in building
their own controller) seeing what's inside a 'Zilla, then he wouldn't
have sold any. ;^>

There is nothing to prevent anyone from posting pictures of their
'Zilla's insides on the web somewhere for all to see other than the
caution in the 'Zilla warranty that dissassembly of the controller will
void the warranty.

This fellow didn't actually ask that anyone open their controller and
take pictures for him, but only if someone would be willing to share
pictures that they might already have.

It is fair enough for you to point out that you think it would be
inappropriate to share pictures of the insides of your Zilla, but let's
leave it at that.

Anyone who was seriously considering going into competition with Otmar
wouldn't ask to see someone else's pictures of a Zilla's guts, they
would quietly buy a unit of their own to tear down and examine...

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 16:04 -0700, Roger Stockton wrote:
> This fellow didn't actually ask that anyone open their controller and
> take pictures for him, but only if someone would be willing to share
> pictures that they might already have.
>
> It is fair enough for you to point out that you think it would be
> inappropriate to share pictures of the insides of your Zilla, but let's
> leave it at that.
>
> Anyone who was seriously considering going into competition with Otmar
> wouldn't ask to see someone else's pictures of a Zilla's guts, they
> would quietly buy a unit of their own to tear down and examine...

I think Mike's sentiment on the issue may have been from when this
started back in November, when Dan asked Otmar for details on the parts
used in the Zilla. Otmar declined to give specifics, so Dan used the
accuse-Otmar-of-being-greedy approach. If it was a card played in hopes
of getting more information, it didn't work out:

http://www.cafeelectric.com/blog/?p=8#comments
http://www.cafeelectric.com/blog/?p=5

"So much for idealism" ...?

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://ohmbre.org          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

Over 12 years of driving electrics, I really never worry much about this.
The Solectria Force I have now has instructions in the manual never to take
it through a car wash but I have had mine (and my mother's) through several
and never had a problem.  On the other hand, my first electric conversion
was an S-10 Blazer and it came with a Curtis controller which blew out in
the first couple of years.  Otmar thought it might be moisture getting in
around the seal but we didn't really see any evidence of water inside.

I wouldn't steam clean under the hood like I did with my old gas car but I
think all the rest is not an issue.

- Will
Aptos, CA  95003
(831) 688-8669

[...]