  1) Re: Advanced DC motor
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Advanced DC motor
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Zilla controller insides (now with pictures)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Advanced DC motor
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Tesla motors 15,000 EV's by the end of 2010?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EV digest 6830 recumbent electric motorcycle-The Sumo
        by "Larry Hays" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Correction Re: LED lights energy savings?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: LED lights energy savings?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) golf cart motor speed torque curves
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: LED lights energy savings?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: LED lights energy savings?
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Ian Anderson on electric cars
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Charging batteries in parallel (Rescue GEM)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: electravan for sale... one more thing
 25) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Zilla controller insides
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Thundersky
        by "Sam Maynard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I couldn't find any specs on this motor but I use an ADC 140-07-4001 motor on a
small m-cycle at 36 volts with a 275 amp Curtis controller.  My bike is a
converted Aermacchi 350 but it's a bit underpowered at ~375# or so.  Just right
for running around town.  It'll run at 35 mph on the flat drawing ~25 or 30
amps but hills can slow it down a lot.  The splined shaft on your motor may
cause a problem finding sprockets.  The motor I use is smaller and probably a
bit lighter and is rated 60 amps for one hour.

If the insulation is class H you might be able to use higher voltage, just have
to watch for overrevving.  I went through a quick-and-dirty optimization
analysis in my application and determined that 36 volts (i.e. three 12 volt
group 31 AGM's) would provide me the best compromise between power and range.
In the available space for batteries that's the layout that worked best for me.
 I should mention that this motor was purchased for another project but a
rolling frame showed up and it ended up being used; I should probably have used
a bigger motor but am having fun with this bike.

I made my battery boxes from hardware-store slotted angle/bar and initially
bolted then MIG welded them together and it's working fine on the rough roads
around here (so far) (knock on wood).  The box is bolted to the bike spanning
the two down tubes so most of the weight transfers directly to the stock
(rather robust) Aermacchi frame.  It's ugly, but functional.

I geared so the motor would spin 5000 rpm at 50 mph and most of the time I
don't exceed 45 mph.  The whole issue of range ties into speed and acceleration
(just like a car).  At higher speeds you use your batteries up quicker.  How
fast/far do you need/want to go?  I never go much farther than 10-12 miles but
I estimate I could go 30 miles at 35 mph if I wanted to but parts of that would
be pretty slow on the hills around here (coastal Maine).

BTW, the batteries are rated 80A for one hour.  My comment about being
underpowered is in relation to my other (ICE) bikes.

Frank

From: "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "EV Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 07:48:51 -0700

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....
http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks for the pics of the electric moto, Peter. Here's a litle info on the Sumo, a similar bike. You can also see it in action on Youtube...truly the future of motorcycling

http://www.ozoux.com/eclectic/archive/2006/07/13/ev-x7-sumo-electric-motorcycle

Play games, earn tickets, get cool prizes. Play now–it's FREE! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink1
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I assume you're not talking about an automotive headlight here, which are like 800-2100 lumens each.

Also comparing halogen to LED shows the most dramatic difference only on small-scale bulbs, because halogen technology gets a lot less efficient in the small scale. For large scale, well designed halogens like in a car headlight the halogen efficiency perks up and LEDs have only marginal gains even if well designed. Without knowledge of the best devices and the best thermal design and light gathering/focusing technology, it could easily be less efficient than halogen.

Danny

Mark Hastings wrote:

Dinotte lighting is upgrading my 5watt LED headlights
to a new 200 lumen LED which will also increase my
battery time by 30%. With 4AA 2300 mah batteries it is now supposed to last
130 minutes on high. The old LEDs were 140 lumens and
lasted about 100 minutes on high. Not sure when they
will reach their limit but LEDs are still improving.
Probably will never be enough to matter in a typical
EV. A super ultralight ultra aerodynamic low power one
maybe.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I don't know if this has any relevance but about ten years ago me and my brother were pretty into tinkering with little electric motors and 9 volt batteries making motor boats for the puddle behind the house. We had some success with making outboards using rubber bands and pulleys to transfer the power to a submerged prop, but then we figured out (despite having been told that you NEVER get electrical stuff wet) if we put the propeller directly onto the motor and submerged it mounting it under the boat it it still worked!

So I guess low voltage DC doesn't short out with water???? What voltage does water conduct? Water must have a pretty high resistance?

I have been curious about that since.

Tehben

On May 31, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Michaela Merz wrote:

Well, the other day I had to take my S-10 conversion through rain. Well, not rain, not even close to what one considers to be 'rain' - more like somebody opened Hoover dam and spilled it all over our county. It was bad, visibility a few feet, the wipers unable to get rid of the all the water pouring from above. And I thought about my ADC motor hovering a few inches above the lake that used to be a road. And I started to think about the conductivity of water, waited for the moment my little EV would give up
leaving me stranded in some of the worst water nightmares I ever
encountered (.. and I went through quiet a few tropical storms and
hurricanes). But guess what - nothing happened. The EV pulled me out of
the mess and everything turned out to be just fine.

I guess our EVs are not that fragile after all :)

Michaela

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I didn't really think it would be able to save that much energy but it seems like a lot of people have changed the lighting on their Ev's to LED so I wondered:P
thanks,
Tehben

On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Lee Hart wrote:

Tehben Dean wrote:
Do you actually save enough energy to noticeably increase your range by switching the lighting on your vehicle to LED?
Are there LED's bright enough to use for headlights?

At present, LEDs are not an effective light source for headlights. They do excel as indicators (dashboards) and tail lights.

The 12v electrical system in a car is dreadfully inefficient; all parts of it. The lights are only a small part, so even if you cut their power consumption 10:1, it would still only be a small reduction due to the other high-current loads. And even if you reduced *all* 12v loads by 10:1, it will still only reduce total power used in an electric car by a few percent.

It still may be worth doing for other reasons; but not just to save energy.

Does anybody have a link or file of the torque speed
curve for a stock EZ-Go or Club Car 36Vdc motor?
Even better yet is chart recorder data showing the
current/voltage on the motor as it's driving on a
industry standard test coarse.

I found this info at EVparts,
"3.5 hp at 36 volts (18-19 MPH)"
Is 3.5 Hp the one hour rating or something different.
What's the 30 second rating?
What is the typical RPM range for this motor?

Thanks,
Rod

From: "Dan Frederiksen"

I'm curious about what the zillas look like on the inside, does anyone have photos they could share?

   My friend Dave (Battery Boy) Hawkins has a Zilla controller, so
when this subject came up, we decided to disassemble his and have a good look at the insides. For Dan, and others who are curious, we took a good, clear photo of the precision layout, and also conducted a partial disassembly in order to fully expose the controller's guts for all to see.
http://www.geocities.com/evguy_2000/zilla

   For any that think I'm taking advantage of Otmar's talent and
dedication in an unfair fashion, I think once you see the photo that you'll agree that he really doesn't have anything to worry about. I doubt very few, or possibly any of those who view this would be able to recreate the required precision engineering. Hey Dave,
I hope your controller still runs after we had it all apart.

--- Begin Message --- I agree, Lighting is such a small percentage. If you really want to, just to say you did, you can move to all LED lighting except for the headlights. Use HID. You can either buy the after-market kits or rip one out of a newish higher end car. Even the Prius is using them. They put out a lot more light and use just a little more than half the power. (35w vs 60w) They also benefit from being an extreme point source light, so they can support complex and very accurate optical packages. Many of the cars with this system use a projector-style optical system with lenses.

I retrofitted my Kawasaki ICE motorcycle with a Matsushita (Panasonic) designed system out of a Japanese car. It's amazing, so much brighter and now I can idle indefinitely without my battery going into discharge, which was what was happening with the stock system. I also constructed my own LED taillight/brakelight system with a modulated brake flash to get fast attention for other drivers who may not notice me stopping.

LED technology is available that could replace Automotive headlights, but it is going to be expensive and require a lot of thermal and optical engineering to get right. Stay away from it until you start seeing it on BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Search the archives. Lighting doesn't consume enough to matter one way or another.

LEDs are not bright enough to replace headlights in general, there's supposed to be one luxury car with some new emitters that can though. I ran the equations and it would take a completely impractical number of devices even with the newer high-power emitters I could find.

LEDs are not strong competitors with halogen headlights for efficiency. This goes against common perception, but it's true. They can more or less equal halogens, maybe beat them by a 10%-20% sort of margin under the best (most expensive and large) conditions. They can't save much to speak of.

Danny

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 08:58 -0800, Tehben Dean wrote:
> I don't know if this has any relevance but about ten years ago me and
> my brother were pretty into tinkering with little electric motors and
> 9 volt batteries making motor boats for the puddle behind the house.
> We had some success with making outboards using rubber bands and
> pulleys to transfer the power to a submerged prop, but then we
> figured out (despite having been told that you NEVER get electrical
> stuff wet) if we put the propeller directly onto the motor and
> submerged it mounting it under the boat it it still worked!
>
> So I guess low voltage DC doesn't short out with water???? What
> voltage does water conduct? Water must have a pretty high resistance?

The water (especially if it's dirty) is conductive, but copper has a
much lower resistance. The electricity will tend to flow where it's
supposed to (through the copper coils and comm bars) instead of where
it's not supposed to (through the water) because of this.

I think the biggest dangers of driving a DC EV motor through water is
the accumulation of dirt and sediment, and the danger of breaking
something if the fins of the cooling fan hit the water at high speed.
Of course, the water will introduce drag as well.

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> then we figured out if we put the propeller
> directly onto the motor and submerged it
> mounting it under the boat it it still worked!

aren't most fuel pump motors always submerged?

m.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- One real advantage that LED lighting can have for an EV is to reduce the size of DC-DC converter needed. Changing running and brake lights to LED can "free up" 6-10 amps for other peak loads like wipers and heater blowers. cheers,
Andrew

Tehben Dean wrote:
Do you actually save enough energy to noticeably increase your range by switching the lighting on your vehicle to LED?
Are there LED's bright enough to use for headlights?

At present, LEDs are not an effective light source for headlights. They do excel as indicators (dashboards) and tail lights.

The 12v electrical system in a car is dreadfully inefficient; all parts of it. The lights are only a small part, so even if you cut their power consumption 10:1, it would still only be a small reduction due to the other high-current loads. And even if you reduced *all* 12v loads by 10:1, it will still only reduce total power used in an electric car by a few percent.

It still may be worth doing for other reasons; but not just to save energy.

--Ring the bells that still can ring

Yes, in Gasoline/Diesel.  In fact, they usually use the fuel for
cooling.  Water is a different beast.

Of course, it's the impurities in water that make it conductive.  Pure
water is a  good insulator but very expensive to produce (deionized
water.)  On the other hand, salt water is a rather good conductor.

The biggest issue on an EV would be water in the controls or debris
carried by the water into your motor.  In the controls a little bit of
conduction in the wrong place makes for a world of hurt!

Trot, the EV-less, fox...

On 6/1/07, Michael Wendell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> then we figured out if we put the propeller
> directly onto the motor and submerged it
> mounting it under the boat it it still worked!

aren't most fuel pump motors always submerged?

m.

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have no idea what got me wondering what Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull fame) is up to lately, but he's got some comments about electric cars and the american auto industry:

http://www.j-tull.com/news/diaries/iaja2007.html
Just be sure you don't let the Blue smoke -or- the Hamster out.

FYI: Fleas void your warranty.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ricky Suiter wrote:

> A trick used by EVers is to put a tail light bulb in
> series with a battery and let it sit. The bulb creates
> a parasitic load which helps power flow through the
> battery, as the battery starts taking power the bulb
> will light up some then you can charge it without the
> bulb.

This seems a bit mixed up.  The light bulb is not connected to be a load
on the battery.

The 'trick' is to put a light bulb in series between the charger/power
supply and the battery to limit currrent.  If the battery is really
dead/sulphated it may not draw any (or very little) current when
connected to the charger/power supply normally.  So, one cranks up the
supply to a higher than normal level and places a light bulb between the
battery and charger to limit the current.  Initially the battery will
draw little current and the bulb not be lit.  Over hours (days) the
battery will start drawing more current, and the bulb will eventually
limit the current to some lowish level.

If you have a power supply with voltage and current adjustments, then
you don't need the light bulb; just set the current limit to some lowish
level (1-2A) and the voltage to a highish level (15V-20V).  Initially
the power supply will be in voltage limit and as/if the battery starts
drawing current, it will become current limited and the voltage will
drop.  Once the battery is drawing 1-2A, you could either leave it
trickle charge until the voltage comes up to a healthy level, or remove
it from the power supply and connect it to a charger.

I would be willing to go get it with my Soyburban.  So if someone wants it.
I'll cart it(for a small fee) just about anywhere in Northern California.
However the fee gets bigger with distance.  Lawrence Rhodes.....
From: "Dan Frederiksen"

[...]

Anyone have experience with these?:

http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-pricing.htm

I got a quote that is about $670/KWh for a quantity of sixty 40Ah 3.2V cells delivered to nearest airport.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've done this with an old Curtis that was modified by "Golf Tech" with a new driver board. After a catastrophic blue smoke event, I beefed up the MOSFETs with new ones that had much lower on resistance and thus current capacity. The gate drive waveforms didn't look that good, so I changed 2 transistors to new ones with superior specs and a few resistors until it looked better on the scope.

The controller is still running great after a few years!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Condie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>