  1) RE: Zilla controller insides
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) BC-20 getting hot...
        by "Andrew A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Thundersky
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Thundersky
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Zilla controller insides
        by "rcboyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Valence batteries (Was: Mustang Conversions)
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Zilla controller insides- Curtis upgrade
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Charging batteries in parallel (Rescue GEM)
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: BC-20 getting hot...
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Electric Hummer
        by Stephen Brawner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Zilla controller insides- Curtis upgrade
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Still the plasma King, a Siamese8 update
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Controller without caps
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: BC-20 getting hot...
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Yahoo! Auto Response
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Question: Suitable Late Model Donor Vehicles
        by Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Thundersky
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Weather proofness of electric car components
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Email GM EV ideas/product info for the Volt
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Email GM EV ideas/product info for the Volt
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Still the plasma King, a Siamese8 update
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) More fun stories from the shop
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Still the plasma King, a Siamese8 update
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Dan Frederiksen wrote:

> I am new to EVs and was hoping to be able to help promote
> the EV in various ways and I'm quite frankly amazed that
> noone have looked inside one of the key components and put
> it on a website. Well, other than Otmar reverse engineering
> a curtis and posting articles on it of course :)
> Isn't that how he started his controller building career...
> how's that for background information Roger : )

Surprisingly enough, I don't think this is actually accurate.

My understanding is that Otmar started off using and repairing Curtis
controllers and experimented with modifying them for regen operation
(ultimately deciding that while this was possible, it wasn't
particularly reliable).  Doing this required him to understand the
Curtis and its weaknesses, and at some point he decided to build a
better mousetrap.

Now, it makes no difference to me if he was familiar with the Curtis
guts before thinking of building his own controller, or if he
specifically reverse engineered one after deciding to get into the
business.  While it may be dis-illusioning for some, the reality of
advancing the state of the art is that one must first examine
competitive products to understand what can be done to move forward
instead of simply reinventing the wheel.

If one searches the 'net, they should be able to find pictures of the
insides of an Auburn, a Curtis, a DCP, etc. without great difficulty.

I don't expect it will sway you from your quest, but I think it would
make far more sense to focus on understanding the lowly Curtis and see
what you can come up with that delivers comparable or better performance
to that.  As others have pointed out, it would be exceedingly difficult
to build a better or more inexpensive Zilla than Otmar can (and does).

Hi all,

I have my truck on the road now and I'm loving it. One
slight problem, though. My K & W BC-20 charger and
boost transformer got really hot while charging at 11A
or so from a 20A circuit.

Is this normal during prolonged charging? Or do I have
a problem?

Right now I have it charging at about 5A and it seems
fine.

Thanks!

Andrew

photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- They are good cells when used right. Some folks in this list got old stock and got disappointed. Who would not ?

LFP cells you're referring here are stiff in cold enviroment. They allow much more abuse than LCPs and LMPs. This is due high combustion temp and some other chemistry related properties. LFPs are quite good for SLA replacement due the voltage behaviour.

I've been following from a side for a some time already how people think they are safe without BMS due the misleading forgiveness of the LFP cells. You can overcharge them and they will slowly loose capacity. Then they die. It's like only flames have been the issue here ??

It is essential to use BMS for all commercially available Li-Ion cells not perhaps for safety anymore but at least long lifetime and accurate SOH information.

My experience is limited to about 1 milloin Ah of these cells up to this date. By using good cells you'll get what you need. If there's even one bad apple in the basket.. you'll need help.

Price you got is ok. Lithium prices doubled last year and still demand is groving like crazy.

But no worries. Chinese have cutting edge technology and some really exciting new batteries are coming to markets. We are living exciting times.

New recycling technology and new mines for essential minerals will solve many issues.

-Jukka

p.s.- You can see some conversions done with these cells in EValbum... one new car added just yesterday...

Sam Maynard kirjoitti:
Anyone have experience with these?:

http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-pricing.htm

I got a quote that is about $670/KWh for a quantity of sixty 40Ah 3.2V cells delivered to nearest airport.

So, that's about $86/cell?

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

I would like to add, that without the special procedures and some very
expensive materials used to obtain the very close tolerances held to by
Otmar, you couldn't manufacture the same controller.

Bob Boyd