  1) New Subscriber
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: New Subscriber
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: RF/magnetic in BEV?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV digest 6876
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE:Cleaning batteries (was:acidity of battery terminal crud?)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
  6) Quick VEVCS poll
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Coin-operated outlets   Re: Grass Roots charging infrastructure Was: Quick
VEVCS poll
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: New Subscriber
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) article: Electro Brit: The Lightning Car Company GT
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE:Cleaning batteries (was:acidity of battery terminal crud?)
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Sorry to Dan and the list
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Is it just monday, or did the list size change?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Grassroots charging infrastructure
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: UK Company Introduces Electric Sportscar with Altairnano Battery Pack
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE:Cleaning batteries (was:acidity of battery terminal crud?)
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE:Cleaning batteries (was:acidity of battery terminal crud?)
        by David Wilker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Grassroots charging infrastructure
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Question about DMV
        by "Tim Ireland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Question about DMV
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Grassroots charging infrastructure
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New Subscriber
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: New Subscriber
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: New Subscriber
I am looking to build my own EV-Conversion in the next 5 years, but I know very
little.  I am just getting started.  Most people have suggested that my first
vehicles be of DC instead of AC in lieu of cost and simplicity.

I am going to purchase either a 86 and above Pontiac Fiero or a Honda Del Sol.

Both have body styles I like and considerable aerodynamics.

This will be a commuter vehicle.  I need to get at least 90 miles per charge as
my work is 35 miles away.  I need to know I can get back and forth on a 80%
charge.. ie over time and life of battery I can still drive back and forth to
work.  I need to be able to hit at least 70 mph Max highway speeds out here
(people are crazy) And I have to have air conditioning.. as I live and work in
the hot Arizona sun.

My question for the day is what is the difference between different types of
batteries.  And also what is "sag" And how do 12v 18v and 6v bat compare that
context.

Everyone wants the lighter longerlasting Lith-ion Valance bat's but they are not
yet available....  Also, in some of the documentation I believe I read that you
can only have so many in series..
(U-Charge RT Power System PDF 5th item down on featurs * Series connection up to
4 batteries)  If they were available would that be enough???

Thanks for any help I will be reading and saving $$ for my components.

Dave Wells

Everyone wants the lighter longerlasting Lith-ion Valance bat's but they are not yet available.... Also, in some of the documentation I believe I read that you
can only have so many in series..
(U-Charge RT Power System PDF 5th item down on featurs * Series connection up to
4 batteries)  If they were available would that be enough???

The Valence batteries are available, they are just really expensive.
They have the U-Charge RT and the U-Charge XP. The XP can have "Series connection up to 450 V maximum system voltage"
The prices are as follows the last time I checked:
U1-12RTL: $600 per unit
U1-12RT, U1-12XP: $860 per unit
U24-12RT, U24-12XP: $2030 per unit
U27-12RT, U27-12XP: $2550 per unit
UEV-18XP: $1935 per unit

Tehben

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks. it sounds like doing a little shielding around the controller and motor would be sufficient, though no one has spoken up with an actual measurement of the field strength. The digital bits wont be close to the motor anyway.
JF

Loni wrote:
Considering that electric drives on hybrids are much more potent than most full EVs on the road, I'd have to say there's no problem. I've never heard a Prius owner complain about radio reception or hard-drive damage yet. How's that for hard data?? :)

From: "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Use there is acid in that crud.
> You can apply coatings to that will prevent the crud build up.
> I think even Vaseline will do.

This guy takes the cake as far as remote charging:

www.evnut.com

Click on "chargers"

> From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:10:35 -0700
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: RE: Quick VEVCS poll
>
> I bought a NEMA 10-50 plug and socket plus some hefty cable
> to make an extension cord from the stove plug in the kitchen
> to reach the driveway. I did already have someone pull down the
> full 50A for almost an hour without problem, so he could make it
> home without endangering his batteries.

<snip>
> So, there are no coin-operated outlets. You either
> give the power away
> for free, or get your local utility to install a
> meter and sell it
> themselves (and they don't do coin-operated meters).
<snip>

While the above quote is taken a little out of
context, it isn't entirly true.  I saw some at the
Dalas Airport last week, when I was there for a DSP
class.  Hmm, come to think of it, I'm not sure if they
were coin operated, but they took credit cards.  They
were there right next to the ipod vending machine (I
kid you not...).  You swiped your card, selected an
empty seat, sat down, and it turned on the outlet
below the seat for the amount of time you paid for.
For charging cell phones, laptops, etc.

- Steven Ciciora

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am looking to build my own EV-Conversion in the next 5 years, but I know
> very
> little.  I am just getting started.  Most people have suggested that my first
> vehicles be of DC instead of AC in lieu of cost and simplicity.

Dave

Welcome to the list. Where are you located. There are EVers all around and it
really helps to hook
up with someone in your area. As a first step, subscribing to this list was the
best thing to do.

> I am going to purchase either a 86 and above Pontiac Fiero or a Honda Del Sol.

A few people here have experience with Fiero conversions, to great success.

> Both have body styles I like and considerable aerodynamics.
>
> This will be a commuter vehicle.  I need to get at least 90 miles per charge
> as
> my work is 35 miles away.  I need to know I can get back and forth on a 80%
> charge.. ie over time and life of battery I can still drive back and forth to
> work.  I need to be able to hit at least 70 mph Max highway speeds out here
> (people are crazy) And I have to have air conditioning.. as I live and work in
> the hot Arizona sun.

There will be lot's of advice coming your way, pro and con. Bottom line, learn
as much as possible
and then give it a try. I'll offer up a simple calculation that you can use for
roughly estimating
range. There are many variables, and I might not have all the abbreviations
right, but it will
give you sommething to chew on.

Suppose you have 10 12 volt batteries. This is a 120 volt traction pack. Pretty
obvious. For easy
math, we'll say they are rated at 100 amp hours at the 1 hour rate. Since most
trips will be an
hour or less, it gets' you in the ball park. So, 120 volts times 100 amp hours
means you have a
12,000 watt hour pack, or 12kWh. (this is where someone needs to correct my
terminology.) The last
part is how much does it take too move your EV down the road. A lightweight
efficient car might
use 200 watts per mile, 300 for an average EV, 400 for an electron guzzler.

So, take the 12Kw pack divided by 200 watts per mile, and you get 60 miles
range. For an efficient
EV. Draining your pack to empty. Killing your pack in short order. So if you
have lead acid
batteries, cut the mileage in half, only drain you pack to 50% depth of
discharge (DOD.) Nicads
might let you drain the pack more without penalty. But you might be able to
charge at work,
effectivly doubling your range. And if you don't have a super efficient EV you
need to adjust the
watts per mile figure.

Anyway, that's a quick gloss over of the basic range calculation. Gives you
something to play
with. I'm sure others will chime in to fix my mistakes. The list is a great
resource. There are
lot's of factors that will help you and hurt you. And if your time frame is 5
years, I'd bet
dollars to doughnuts that new battery technology will be available to give give
100 mile range.

Good luck.

Dave Cover

An up-and-coming Tesla competitor:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/e_type/electro-brit-the-lightning-car-company-gt-268011.php

--
Paul Wujek   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

I have never clean my batteries with baking soda or any of that battery
cleaner that leaves a white residue.  I cannot hose off the batteries while
they are in a enclosure.

The battery enclosure has a air exchange system which brings in about 500
CFM air by total enclose acid proof fans, that exhaust out the bottom
through a HD 2 inch PVC pipe like a exhaust does.

The air exchange keeps the water loss at a minimum and results in very
little corrosion.  Only have to water the batteries every four months when I
do the balance charge.

I use to use Whitaker clear battery cleaner and protection, but I cannot get
it no longer.  Someone mention that Windex with AMMONIA neutralize the acid
and it does, so that's all I use now.

What normally causes the corrosion on a battery terminal is the two
different metals making contact, such as a cadmium plated battery connector
or wire terminal with lead, copper or brass battery post.

In our electrical work, where we have to connect two different alloys
together, we use a bi-metal connector which prevents this corrosion. So I
remove my cable terminals which were plated with a cadmium alloy from the
lead post and install a gold plated battery clamp around the lead post and
bolted the link to it, making it a bi-metal connection.

If I was to make new links, I would crimp this type of battery clamp right
on the links, but I happen to get these gold plate battery clamps for $1.75
each from www.wirthco.com.

I now have no corrosion at all.  Only the top surfaces conductive at times
when the batteries vent which I clean with the Windex-ammonia cleaner which
I then wipe down with a paper towel.

> From: "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Use there is acid in that crud.
> > You can apply coatings to that will prevent the crud build up.
> > I think even Vaseline will do.

OMG!
I never reply to the list. That last message was suppose to be off-list
My apology to Dan and to the List.

Well I  "View source" so I don't miss anything, but still it seemed
weird. Viewing source sucks as the headers are in there and it is all a
jumbled mess.

I am pretty sure a flat access fee and re-embersment is ok.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Wow. I am so impressed! 0 to 60 in four seconds and doing that with only 2132 foot pounds of torque. That is unbelievably amazing!!! I am going to run out and post this phenomenal feat everywhere I can think of. This will turn the automotive world upside down. This ain't one of those wimpy DC cars like Wayland has with only 772 foot pounds of torque. As the press release says: "Each HPD40 drive unit offers maximum torque of 750 Nm (533 lb-ft)."

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

Be very careful with baking soda and batts. The batteries has vent holes in the
caps, and if you get baking soda down in them, well, you don't want to know...

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

P.S.  In my gas guzzler, I wash the gunk off with baking soda in water with
an old tooth brush until the bubbling stops, then rinse.  There aren't any
batteries in my EV project yet.

There is an idea.
    The EV club can rent a space in trailer/rv parks with power meters
and we share the power bill.
    Instant infrastructure for longer trips.

This is pretty much how we operate in Australia... Well, most states
anyway. If you have the original chassis or monocoque/unitary body then
it is generally considered to be the original vehicle. All other parts
can be replaced and it is still considered to be the same vehicle.

I think the case of dodgy registration of 'rebuilt' cars in the US that
was referred to in a previous post is actually the cars that hot rod
builder Boyd
Coddington was in court for. My understanding was that they were
building a brand new say... 1932 Ford hot rod from scratch, all parts
brand new including the chassis, and then registering them as an
original 1932 car. I think they were also using 'reproduced' titles
purchased from some other company when required.

Tim Ireland
South Oz