  1) Re: message truncated
        by "Eric Udell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Speed Indication Issue - Toyota Yaris Conversion
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: message truncated
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: oversized motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: "Tree House" Controller
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: "Message truncated" problem
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Temperature indicators
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: amps during normal driving
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: 6v or 12v
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: amps during normal driving
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Temperature indicators
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) RE: 1st street ev smile/frown
        by "Obrien, Haskell W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: "Tree House" Controller
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Temperature indicators
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: amps during normal driving - Zilla and other overspeed protection
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Speed Indication Issue - Toyota Yaris Conversion
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Driving in reverse, spastic moves
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Dc to Dc ?s
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
If anyone would like to use Gmail for their email client, I would
recommend it. It can check your existing email and has very good spam
filtering. I use it for my email from my own server and it's better
than any other spam filter I've used.
It is advertising supported, but they're text ads along the right side
and they don't dance around in a distracting manner.
Creating text-only emails is easy, there's a link at the top of the
email creation box to change modes. Gmail remembers the recipients to
whom you send text-only emails. When I created this email it defaulted
to text-only.
Finally, I don't think I've ever seen them add any advertising to the
bottom of my emails, though considering my track record on this
thread, it'll make a liar out of me...

Eric Udell
Big Pine Key, FL

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The speed sensor is on the FWD transmission, it has three wires on it but they were not twisted as best I could tell, I wonder if the HV system is causing interference, if so would this cause it to be slow or just erratic. There is no ABS,

On Jul 23, 2007, at 6:17 AM, Mark Ward wrote:

Make sure it is not something silly like I did, assuming that everything ran off the front wheels. On my saab the speedo runs off the right rear wheel ABS sensor. I could have spun it up all day and it wouldn't have read anything. If the onboard computers are still intact it may be looking for signals from all 4 wheels before it registers correctly. Of course that assumes you have ABS, wheel sensors, etc. I am sure glad I didn't cut out any of my computers!

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 7/23/07, Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We are using the factory speed sensor system as originally
installed.  The first operational test shows the factory speedometer
reading as very low, below what should be the actual speed.   We ran
the motor with the car on jack stands and watched the rotation of  the
tires against the speedometer indication.  The speedometer seems  very
low, off by at least 50% if not more

Are both the tyres rotating at the same speed when you do this?
Usually one turns and the other doesn't, and the spinning wheel will
turn twice as fast as it would normally, for that road speed.

http://liveearth.msn.com

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Also some responses and more questions:

Just a question, how is driving the EV in snow and ice?

Have not driven the EV in snow, for one thing I'm in the virtually
snowless NC piedmont area.  If it did snow, I think the EV would do
well since it's heavy BUT it currently has no heat so I'm taking
another vehicle out in case I get stuck.

Try putting a stronger spring on the throttle or throttle pot.  This will
give you a better feel of how much throttle to apply.

I've had problems before with my pot-box, which is probably 10 years
old.  I've meant to look at it closely but now I have more incentive.

My Auburn Kodiak controller includes a reverse power setting.  It
wires up to the backup lights and reduces the power to one fourth of
normal.  I believe the Zilla has something similar.

I have a Kodiak too.  Any details on this feature?  I would be
interested in *any* Kodiak documentation if it's out there...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- since you now agree that assembly is easy enough, could you share your working charger design? others might find it interesting or even build it and use it. doesn't matter if it's not a polished design. might enlighten people anyway

Dan

Dale Ulan wrote:
Big difference between design and assembly. Obviously assembly is
assembly-line style, or 'cookie cutter'.

Hey Rod,

Back on June 6, Zeke said:

> > FYI, the reason I went through the trouble to find
> > used shunt motor
> > was that I need regenerative brakes.

>Jeff said:
> Now you say shunt motor whereas before you said
sepex.
>  Sepex motors generally have lower voltage field
> windings than shunt motors which infer the field
> voltage will be equal to the nameplate voltage.
With
> a shunt motor, it will be difficult to emulate
series
> motor performance, namely starting torque.

A field resistance would tell us a lot.

Jeff

--- Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Zeke,
> I forgot to mention in my earlier post that maximum
> current in the field was 18-20 amps, but this was
> controlled via PWM of the control.  In other words,
> if
> you have a nameplate voltage of 96 Volts you
> wouldn't
> directly connect 96V to the field.  The control will
> regulate the PWM duty cycle to the field to regulate
> less than 20Amps.  On the Dodge TEVan, system
> voltage
> was 180V nominal, 205Vdc after a full charge.
> Looking at the software for the TEVan, Maximum field
> PWM duty cycle is Hex #$60 (96 Decimal).  Since the
> PWM is 8 bit we have (96/255)*205Volts = 77 volts is
> the maximum the field would ever see.  I suspect on
> the 96V sepex motor you would not see more than 36
> Volts applied to the field.
> Rod
> --- Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Hey Zeke,
> >
> > This was a shunt motor, wasn't it?  If so, the
> field
> > would have been wound for 96 volts.  Probably just
> > few amps (or less) at 96 volts.  You need to take
> > the
> > field resistance.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > --- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Just wondering if I can measure field current
> with
> > > the 20A range on my
> > > DMM, or if I need a bigger ammeter.  It's just
> > > sitting on the table
> > > right now, and I don't have any of the final
> > > instrumentation yet, just
> > > playing around testing it.
> > >
> > > It's a 96 volt 20HP (cont) GE Sepex motor.  Big
> > > 300lb beast of a motor.

> > Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you
> > sell.
> > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

that gives answers, not web links.

DCDC600/192/14 and MES400-1000 are within this voltage range.
http://www.metricmind.com/dcdc.htm

Disclaimer: I sell them.

'91 ACRX - something different

billb wrote:
Hi Guys ,
I am looking for a dc to dc in a hard to find input range, about 170 to 250 vdc.to run on a 216 volt nominal system. I have nice dc to dc converters for 120 vdc input and more for 300 vdc input but need the range in between with a 14 vdc output at 50 or more amps. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill Brinsmead

Well.... I'll let you know the field resistance, and we can figure out
whether this is really a SepEx motor, or a shunt motor........ in EE
school, they don't really distinguish between them (we covered DC
motors for about one week).

And yes, it does have some sort of model number on it too, which I'll get.

Zeke

On 7/23/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Rod,