From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Apr 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Subject: Moore's law for Everything

Two years ago Sam Altman, the CEO of open AI which made GTP4, wrote an
interesting article called Moore's law for Everything. Here is an excerpt:  "In
the next five years, computer programs that can think will read legal documents
and give medical advice. In the next decade, they will do assembly-line work
and maybe even become companions. And in the decades after that, they will do
almost everything, including making new scientific discoveries that will expand
our concept of “everything”.. And a recursive loop of innovation, as these
smart machines themselves help us make smarter machines, will accelerate the
revolution’s pace. The changes coming are unstoppable. If we embrace them and
plan for them, we can use them to create a much fairer, happier, and more
prosperous society.

The technological progress we make in the next 100 years will be far larger
than all we’ve made since we first controlled fire and invented the wheel. We
should therefore focus on taxing capital rather than labor, and we should use
these taxes as an opportunity to directly distribute ownership and wealth to
citizens. In other words, the best way to improve capitalism is to enable
everyone to benefit from it directly as an equity owner. The future can be
almost unimaginably great."
I agree with Mr. Altman that the changes will be huge and unstoppable, but I'm
not as consistent as he is that they will all be for the benefit of human
beings.  Moore's Law for EverythingJohn K Clark    See what's on my new list at
 Extropolis
6tv--
"Everything List" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3NV21giXPuSwXzDYtzJzxWaJkfLoTdULmvqO-gsAPXbA%40mail.gmail.com.