On 10/14/2012 10:36 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net
<mailto:rclo...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > But if a computer beats you at an intelligent task, it would have to be
programmed
    to do so.

And you would have to be educated to do so.

> which means that its intelligence would be that of the programmer.
Then how can the computer beat that very same programer?

I think this illustrates a problem with defining 'intelligent task'. Is multiplying to numbers together an intelligent task? It is to 2nd graders, but not to the programmer. Why? Because the programmer knows an algorithm for doing it that is simple enough to keep in his head. But to the programmer winning a chess game is an intelligent task - because he doesn't know exactly how to do it; he doesn't know an algorithm for doing it. He knows that he looks ahead and evaluates a few moves and countermoves and the further ahead he looks the more likely he is to win. So he can program a computer to do the same kind of thing, but look further ahead and apply the same evaluations, and then it can beat him. But it can't beat a really good chess player because the really good chess player has a better set of evaluation rules. Then the programmer can arrange for the the computer to look through and enormous number of chess games and infer its own rules which may then be so good as to beat even a really good chess player. But now neither the programmer nor anyone else know what rules the computer uses. They could look at a printout of the program and see what they are, but neither they nor anyone else, including the computer, would know why those particular rules were the good rules. To know that they would have to retrace the whole learning process the computer used to derive the rules. So NOW the computer is intelligent, just like the programmer, because it can win chess games but doesn't know exactly how.

Is the computer conscious?  I'd say it was a little bit conscious (of chess).

Brent

> Computers cannot make free choices

Computers can do things for a reason or they can do things for no reason (if they have a simple hardware random number generator), and that makes them absolutely no different than you.

    > they have no intelligence.

I don't think you really want to say that because they just beat you at a intellectual task, so if they have zero intelligence then the only logical conclusion to make is that your intelligence is less than zero.

            >>>  free will

        >> What a odd sequence of ASCII characters, perhaps your keyboard had a
malfunction.

!

    >  I already asked you how you would determine the intelligence of a
computer but
    your answer made no sense.

I replied to your question with "I detect consciousness in computers the exact same way I determine it in my fellow human beings, I guess. I guess that if they're behaving intelligently then they're conscious". What word didn't you understand?

  John K Clark