On 24 Jan 2013, at 22:19, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Craig. The concept of divine simplicity exists in several religions

And in those religions how did a simpleton God make life? Darwin provided the mechanism by which Evolution did it, so those religions need to explain exactly how the invisible man in the sky did it.

> Of course, the whole question of what is simple and what is complex requires a definition of complexity. The universal dovetailer is a simple program, yet it generates all programs. The Mandlebrot set has a simple definition, but is infinitely detailed. Pi has a simple definition, but an infinite expansion of digits. So apparent complexity, of a universe, a world, etc. need not be dependent on complex underlying principles or systems.

If you don't like the simple-complex dimension use the humble-grand dimension. The Bible says something grand made something humble and it doesn't say how so it explains nothing; Darwin says something humble made something grand and the best part is he said how it did in, and that is a explanation worthy of the name.

You confuse theology before 523 and after. If you appreciate reason, look at the development from Pythagorus to Plotinus, for example.

You would see that they depict a different conception of reality, than the current Aristotelian one, and which by many token is somehow more rational as committing less ontological commitments. And it would be just a lie to say that science has decided on this.

Study computer science and take a look how coherent Plotinus appear, from a complete arithmetical point of view (see the pdf at my frontpage url).

If you prevent the rationalists to study theology, it will remain in the hand of the irrationalists, you know.

Bruno

  John K Clark