On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:48:32 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2013, at 15:57, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:09:06 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> I would like a semi-axiomatic definition of "sensory", to make this more
>> palatable. I try to get a theory of sense, and I can't take that notion for
>> granted, even if I agree that from the 1p pov, it looks like primitive (but
>> that the comp theory can already explained why).
>>

> Sensory is primitive,
>

> Of course, in the comp theory, sensory is not primitive. It only feels
> like primitive, exactly like a part of matter looks like being primitive.

There's a difference though. Feeling can't feel like feeling if it isn't
feeling. Matter can look primitive because matter is inferred from
sensory-motor participation - we see public bodies as visual obstacles, we
see surfaces and infer volumes, we hear obstructed volume levels, we feel
tangible resistance to our touch and can ascribe massive qualities to it.
All of these, combined with the consensus agreement of other peer
perceivers contribute to a compelling sense of realism, which I would
relate to my concepts of significance and perceptual inertia -
meta-meta-feeling, sense with bass, like electricity with ground -
orientation, and worldliness.

You give away comp's weakness by saying that sense 'only feels like
primitive', because feeling is already sense. It is actually comp which
feels like it's primitive to another set of sensory-motor experiences, that
of the verbal-logical thinker. Thought and logic are a special flavor of
sense which is optimized to feign objectivity and hide the fact (i.e.
Baudrillard's simulacra: a copy with no original: comp takes literally the
anonymous impersona of arithmetic as the root of personal sense, rather
than the peripheral extension of sense until apotheosis of self-denial).

> Comp explains those feeling, except for a tiny part that it still explain
> has to remain unexplainable.

Comp doesn't explain any feeling. It explains that if there was a such
thing as feeling, then comp has a place to theoretically put it. I maintain
that this place is not the true home of feeling, but a sterile partition,
an entombment of the almost-utterly-unconscious level of sense.

> but comp can't explain it because explanation is only a motive which seeks
> to translate one sensory experience into another sensory mode.
>

> That's correct, but this cannot been applied validly to refute comp.
> Similar remarks for what follows.

You say it cannot be applied, but I see clearly that it must.

Craig