Chris

"How do you explain the experience of “free will” then? "

You'll have noticed that I don't even try to explain it.

"Our experience of free will, of having executive decisional power within our
own selves is a distinct, high fidelity, consistently reproducible, experience
in us"

No determinist would deny that you have 'executive decisional power'. Choices
are being made and it is you making the choices. But what makes you Chris?

I know someone who continually makes poor decisions and gets herself into all
sorts of scrapes and compromising situations. Knowing her we forgive her. Why?
Well when my friends and I get together and discuss her there is a common
theme: Her father was rotten to the core. Her mother wasn't any better. She had
a thoroughly rotten childhood. The decisions she makes now, reflect these facts
about her past. This is the conclusion we always reach. She did 'this' because
'that' happened to her in the past. This I offer is a typical way of speaking
about people and their behavior.

There is an unspoken assumption here which is that had she had a different
past, had her parents been better than they in fact were, she would make
different decisions. Equally then, there is an assumption that people who have
had a past like hers will make similar decisions. This is the language of
determinsm.

Now its most certainly true that this kind of folk-psychology is questionable
with regards to how things actually are. But, here is the crux of the argument:
it certainly does reveal how people feel about how things actually are.

So to review the argument again just make it abundantly clear what I am
arguing, it is this:

1) The way we speak about behavior reveals how we feel about behavior
2) When we speak about behavior we speak as though the past is reflected in the
present.
3) So, we feel that our current behavior is determined by our past.

Somehow, the wool has been pulled over our eyes and we have been asked how come
we have an illusion of free will if everything is determined.

The real question is how come we talk about one another as if behavior is
determined if in fact we feel we have free will?

Chris, at some point in your post you ask this:

"OR Are you maintain that the experience of free will does not itself exist?
(can you argue that?)"

Look again at the very first paragraph in my post to you. You quoted it, so I'm
assuming you read it:

"...I'm arguing that there is no illusion of free will..."

Could I have been any clearer?

All the best