I also agree that the notions of free will and qualia are two different
things.
My best example of how qualia relates to consciousness is based on my
dreams.
I dream in images which I say are very close to uninhibited/unreprocessed
consciousness.
Very often these images are of people who speak to me. I do not hear words,
yet I still get meanings.
The wordless meanings conveyed to me in dreams are what I would call qualia.

My waking thinking is in words and each of the words has meaning. The words
label the meanings which are qualia.
Free will is associated with my waking consciousness. However, I do not
appear to have even the illusion of free will in my dreams except once in a
lucid dream. But that's another story.

In waking consciousness I at least seem to sometimes have a degree of free
will.
My lack of free will can be exemplified by driving on a familiar route
where habit is in control.
Often I intend to deviate from the usual route but habit prevents me from
doing so and I pass right by the turn off.

But I can break the habit by being very conscious and focused on deviating
from my usual course. I take that to be an exercise of free will. In
addition I take such action to be an exercise of downward or top-down
causation whereas the lack of free will or habit is upward or down-up
causation.

Here is something Bruno might appreciate. Often when I smoke weed and then
drive home, I am lost. That is, the road that I usually drive on is totally
unfamiliar to me, and I feel like I am lost. So the internal map that I
usually follow is part of habit and the weed breaks down the habit. That in
my opinion is why weed is so creative. It allows us to think outside the
usual constraints and at the same time suggests to us just how constrained
we usually.

Yet even when so constrained, when we are faced with more or less equal
alternatives or choices, we can exercise our free will by thinking about
each alternative and then making a more or less rational choice. But habit
and especially addiction can inhibit free choice and free will.
Richard,