On 9/11/2013 5:19 PM, Chris de Morsella wrote:
I don't think that argument holds water. I can't exclude it of course; unlike some around here I know I don't know; however it does not seem to me that this is an inevitable result of the mechanics of processing choice... of making comparisons, especially ones that have subtle values affecting the value of each outcome. If the sequences of sensations and mental phases we traverse through as we exercise our "free will" IS NOT the inevitable result of being faced with a choice -- especially a multi-factored subtle choice -- then these dramas have been rendered within us.
That requires energy; it requires work, which begs the question: Why? For what
reason?

But it doesn't require any *extra* energy and work over and above analyzing the possible choices and trying to predict their consequences and the value of those consequences to us. All of those things done by a straightforwardly Bayesian decision theory process, one which is completely deterministic.