From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of spudboy...@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:20 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

If you need to push this TW challenge back at me, I would advise using the
techno emergence of Graphene for all this electrical because it has made the
jump and is being researched world wide. Caveat. This does not guarantee
that it will do the job at the TW level, and maybe silicon can? But my fear
is that neither can, and rather then perish from AGW, we perish from energy
starvation because the old tech is so dirty.

If we continue to rely on fossil energy sources that raises the chances for
an accidental nuclear war arising out of a conventional energy war to secure
the control of diminishing reserves.

Graphene is a very exciting material - for many applications. It has some
very interesting properties. But it is still very much a lab phenomenon and
I am not even certain that it can be produced in the scale that would be
required. There are other exotic photovoltaic materials that show promise as
well, including zinc oxide and carbon nano tubes as well as CIGS thin film
(and other thin film types). Silicon is very common in the earth's crust -
as silicates -- though it needs to be reduced and then purified. This
process of carbothermic reduction - to produce metallurgy grade silicon is
energy intensive, but the supply silicon feedstock to produce metallurgy
grade silicon is for practical purposes inexhaustible. Current refining
processes - that further refine the reduced metallurgy grade silicon  -- use
some fairly dirty chemistry (such as the hydrogen chloride refining
process), but silicon is also amenable to being re-cycled and there are
other refining processes in the works. So far I have not seen any
fundamental road blocks to scaling up the production of solar quality
silicon and hence to the scale of output of newly manufactured solar cells.
Other solar PV technologies cannot scale - such as the thin film technology
used by First Solar. Silicon instead - as far as I can tell - as the
potential to scale up to the multi-TW level.

Chris