On 16 Mar 2017, at 00:41, Brent Meeker wrote:

I think Sabine is wrong when she says that one must use qubits to
compute the universe.  Anything computable by a quantum computer is
computable by a classical (Church-Turing) computer, with the penalty of an exponential slowup. Sabine makes some good points, one of which I've
tried to make with Bruno.  Bruno (and Tegmark) aren't thinking of a
physical computer (as Sabine apparently is); they're Platonist and
they're thinking of a Turing machine or other abstract "computer" that
computes everything. Bruno likes to cite a set of Diophantine equations
that constitute a universal computer.  But as Sabine observes, the
computation of the universe can't just be a computation of your
thoughts.

There is no computation of the universe. There can be only computation/ emulation of your thought. The physical universe emerge from a NON COMPUTABLE statistics on all the computation of "my" thought. That is used in the computationalist non-cloning theorem.

 In order that your thoughts be "about" something, the
something must be computed too.

But then we would not been able to dream. In a dream, we are cut from the environment, and yet have thought about something (usually built by the neo-cortex from plausible quasi-random data generated by the cerebral stem, in some theory)

 There's no other way to assure that
your thoughts will correspond to a universe.

Which can be a reason to be skeptical about "a universe".

 But then we're back to her
first point that of course the universe is computed in this trivial
sense that everything is computed.

With computationalism, only thought are computed, not what the thought can possibly be about, which emerges from an infinity of computations (due to the first person inability to compute the result of the self- multiplication, and to see if there are delays, etc.).

 I think Bruno understands and
accepts this point, but he sees his theory that every possible
computation is performed (by a universal dovetailer) and our multiverse
is just one of the things computed as an explanation that is beyond
trivial.

Tegmark is closer to this, but I criticized him on exactly this. Even with a very low substitution level, the physical reality remains out of all possible computations (and that is why we can be very skeptical that the notion of "physical universe" makes any sense.

 He says it implies quantum mechanics via the
first-person-indeterminancy principle. I think that's still trivial.

It is simple, but not trivial, as you can see how strong gnostic atheist still get stuck on the first person indeterminacy. Moreover, the math of the first person indeterminacy, needed to get physics is highly not trivial, as it is based on Solovay theorem, itself based on Gödel and Löb, the universal machine (a highly non trivial notion as it requires closure of a set of functions for the diagonalization, etc.).

The illusion/appearances of the universe is a very non trivial arithmetical phenomenon. Without Gödel's incompleteness, there is no phenomena at all in arithmetic!