On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> ​>> ​
>> You absolutely insist on changing the meaning of the English word  "God "
>> to mean "stuff",
>

> ​> ​
> Where?

​Oh I don't know, maybe every third post you've written in the last 5
years.​

> ​> ​
> I think you are imagining thing. You already know that computationalism
> implies that stuff does not exist at all.

​And now "exist" and even "stuff" joins "God" and "theology" as words that
have lost their meaning and thus are no longer words but are just ASCII
sequences.​

> ​> " ​
> God, in the original sense of the greeks and
> ​ [...]

*​TO HELL WITH THE GREEKS!!!! *I said it before I'll say it again, the
ancient Greeks were so ignorant they literally didn't know where the sun
went at night, and yet you expect them to help us answer cutting edge
scientific questions in the 21th century.  It's ridiculous!

​
>> ​>> ​
>> Bullshit! If symbols don't have meaning then they are not symbols ​and
>> you'd be justified in saying all Hilbert (or Shakespeare) did in his life
>> was write squiggles on paper.
>

> ​> ​
> You show that you have no idea what mathematical logic is.

I know what Bullshit is I'll tell you that.
​ ​
And I know that you can think of
​
mathematical logic
​ ​
as just a game of squiggles if you want, and the same thing can be done
with language
​.​

​T​
he sentence "
​C
olorless green ideas sleep furiously
​" is consistent with all the axioms of English grammar, but it ​means
nothing. You're trying to make a connection between
mathematical logic
​ and our physical world, in fact you claim that one created the other,
​and you can't do that if
mathematical logic
​ is just a silly squiggle game. ​

> ​> ​
> Please read the 30th first page of any textbook in logic,

Is that the same page you were talking about before, the page that can
perform calculations without being connected to a battery?  I freely admit
I have not read that page, but then the scientists at INTEL haven't either.

> ​> ​
> or ask question.

​Why isn't the author of "any ​
textbook in logic
​"​
​ richer than INTEL?​

> ​> ​
> We use symbol like "+" and "*"
> ​ ​
> for pedagogical purpose, but in strict predicate calculs we use
> conventionally Fi^n for a sequence of n-ary functional symbols, and A_i^n
> for n-ary relational symbols, and we interpret them through mathematical
> structures called models.

​That's nice. Tell me, do logicians think "+", "*", and  "
Fi^n
​" have a meaning, or do they just think they're pretty squiggles? And if
they do attach a meaning to them have logicians come to a agreement on what
those meanings are? If not it would be rather difficult for one logician to
communicate with another.  ​

​> ​
> In mathematical logic, "meaning" is defined mathematically, and it works
> with any symboles used.

​And the meaning assigned those symbols is arbitrary, but once there is a
consensus on what a symbol means it's important to stick with it. Suppose
you read a proof claiming to have proven  the Riemann hypothesis and found
a error on nearly every page, you write to the author pointing this out and
he responds with "You said  I made a error when I wrote 2+2=5 but I did not
because it's true for extremely large values of 2". Would you suspect the
author was trying to hide something?

> ​> ​
> When Hilbert said he could use "glass of beer" instead of "point" it meant
> it literally.

​He meant if language developed differently ​and everybody agreed that the
ASCII sequence "a glass of beer" meant a point on a line then things would
be fine, but if some people think it  means that and others think it means
a alcoholic beverage then chaos and confusion result. Of course if your
ideas are confused then confusing language is a good way to hide the
underlying stupidity.

>> ​Do any of the squiggles on that paper have a meaning? ​
>

> >What is it that you don't understand?

​
I don't understand if any of the squiggles on that paper have a meaning ,
that's why I asked.  According to you mathematical logic is just a game in
which one sequence of squiggles generates other sequences of squiggles, but
none of the squiggles mean anything, they're just squiggles. I think you're
maligning mathematical logic

>> ​>> ​
>> as I said,
>> ​ ​
>> theology has no domain.
>

> ​> ​
> In which theory?

​In which domain?​

> ​> ​
> Stop playing stupid.

​Stop asking stupid questions.​

​> ​
> God means the creator, or the ultimate reason, of everything,

​
That certainly wasn't the case for the ancient Greeks that you love so
much, for them the Gods were more like our comic book superheroes. Today
being
​​
the creator or the ultimate reason of everything
​ ​
may be a necessary attribute for God to have but it is *NOT* sufficient
​;​
first and foremost God needs to be a person, and a person smarter and more
conscious than you or me.

> ​> ​
> You participate with the fundamentalist clergy

Wow, calling a guy known for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.
​

> ​> ​
> in making us forget a millenium of fertile theology

I've certainly forgotten it so refresh my memory, name one important
discovery theology has made in the last millennium.
​
I can't think of a thing
.​

​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> ​"Zero gods" is a strong theological statement.
>>

> ​>> ​​So everything is theological.
>

> ​> ​
> Almost:

​Then when you tell me that X is theological I have gained
almost no new information and the word is almost useless.

John K Clark

> >"Zero gods" is a strong theological statement.

So everything is theological.

Almost:

​  John K Clark​