On 08 Mar 2017, at 00:43, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​You missed my explanation on "axiomatics". Hilbert took some times to explain it in lay terms. You might remember him telling that his geometry would not have its content change in case you change the vocabulary, like calling a point "a glass of beer" ...

​If Hilbert had insisted on equating the concept of a glass of beer with the English word "point", as you insist on equating the concept of stuff with the English word "God", then one would be justified in suspecting Hilbert was trying to hide sloppy thinking with bafflegab.

Not at all. His point was that a valid reasoning is independent of the word used.

​>> ​Can you name one short word used in everyday common speech that means something completely different if not downright contradictory when used in a scientific context? I can't.

​> ​the word "theory" and "model" are used already in opposite sense by logicians and physicists.

​What are you talking about? Everyday people, logicians and physicists all agree that "theory" means a set of ideas intended to explain something, and a "model" of a object is a ​systematic description and a model of a phenomenon is a artificial construct that produces that phenomenon or a approximation of it.

Not at all. In logic a theory is a set of sentences together with a set of inference rule, and a model is a semantic, that is a mathematical structure with a notion of satisfaction. I suggest you study the book by Mendelson. It is very good.

​> ​Well, I see you have not understand the notion of axiomatics.

​I understand that if Euclid hadn't bother to explain exactly what the words "point" and "line" mean his axioms would be meaningless.

Euclid did not get the notion of axiomatic. It came much later. Euclid's axioatic still relies on some intuition, and is not an axiomatic in the modern sense.

Philosophers waste time arguing if man has free will and forget to even ask what the hell "free will" is supposed to mean. And theologians squabble among themselves if God exists before they even agree what the word "God" means. This is just dumb. ​

No, the theology of the greeks was already pre-axiomatic. The lack of seriousness only appeared when theology was abandoned by the researchers to the politics, where it is still belongs today.

​>> ​But of course theology is not science, it's not much of anything.

​> ​You can approach *any* domain with the scientific method or attitude.

​Yes but theology has no domain.

Theology has the gods as domain. The statement that there are no god is a statement in the filed of theology, and I guess it is your theology (assuming that a god needs to be a person). But you have shown some belief in some impersonal god, like primary matter, it seems to me. "Zero gods" is a strong theological statement.

Theology has no field of study, there is no there there.​

How do you know that? It is just your belief, I think.

Your own decision to freeze your brain belong to applied theotechnology, which is part of some theology.

​> ​To make theology into a non-science, people have used terror and torture,

​You don't​ ​need ​terror ​or​ torture​ or anything else to turn theology into a non-science, it got there all on its own.​

All self-referentially correct universal machine which believe in enough induction axioms (Gödel-Löbian machines) has a theology, in the sense of the set of true, guessable, propositions that they cannot justify rationally.

That correct-machine's theology is arguable very close to the theories developed by Parmenides, Plato, Moderatus of Gades, and the neoplatonists. It is plausibly not a coincidence, as it could just mean that they introspected themselves sufficiently correctly. I am wring a paper on this, actually, but you can already read my paper on Plotinus (on my url front page). If interested, which I am not quite sure.

Bruno

 John K Clark