On 12/07/2017 12:42 pm, Russell Standish wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:00:40PM +1000, Bruce Kellett wrote:
Well, if that is what it is supposed to imply, then John might well
be right to have problems with it! As I have said before, there is
no analogy between step 3 and quantum many worlds -- the differences
far outweigh any superficial similarities.
I don't think you have properly elucidated what those differences are,
other than in passing, maybe. How about concentrating on those
differences in detail - if you can show that the many worlds of FPI
are phenomenally different from the many worlds of quantum mechanics,

I don't know how many differences you need, but in step 3, a person is duplicated, not a world. And in that scenario, I could, after duplication and finding myself in Moscow, get on a plane and fly to Washington and meet up with my duplicate. That sort of interaction between duplicates is not possible in MWI (at least in its decoherent form). Also, in quantum MWI, there is no external observer who can see the splitting as there can be external observers of person duplication -- the copies do not have to be transported, after all, they might both be in the same room.

Bruce

then you are well on the way to showing a fundamental incompatibility
between computationalism and quantum theory. Then presumably, we can
perform an experiment to show which one is incorrect. Computationalism
or QM. Worthy of a Nobel prize, I'd think.

Somehow, I don't know that the task is going to be quite so easy...