On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 2:25 AM Dylan Distasio <interz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While we may not know everything about explaining it, pain doesn't seem to
> be that much of a mystery to me, and I don't consider it a symbol per se.
>  It seems obvious to me anyways that pain arose out of a very early neural
> circuit as a survival mechanism.

But how?  What was the biochemical or neural change that suddenly birthed
the feeling of pain?  I'm not asking you to know the details, just the
principle - by what principle can a critter that comes into being with some
modification of its organization start having a negative feeling when it
didn't exist in its progenitors?  This doesn't seem mysterious to you?

Very early neural circuits are relatively easy to simulate, and I'm
guessing some team has done this for the level of organization you're
talking about. What you're saying, if I'm reading you correctly, is that
that simulation feels pain. If so, how do you get that feeling of pain out
of code?

Terren