On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 11:08 AM Dylan Distasio <interz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me start out by saying I don't believe in zombies.   We are
> biophysical systems with a long history of building on and repurposing
> earlier systems of genes and associated proteins.   I saw you don't believe
> it is symbols all the way down.   I agree with you, but I am arguing the
> beginning of that chain of symbols for many things begins with sensory
> input and ends with a higher level symbol/abstraction, particularly in
> fully conscious animals like human beings that are self aware and capable
> of an inner dialogue.

Of course, and hopefully I was clear that I meant symbols are *ultimately*
grounded in phenomenal experience, but yes, there are surely many layers to
get there depending on the concept.

> An earlier example I gave of someone born blind results in someone with no
> concept of red or any color for that matter, or images, and so on.   I
> don't believe redness is hiding in some molecule in the brain like Brent
> does.   It's only created via pruned neural networks based on someone who
> has sensory inputs working properly.   That's the beginning of the chain of
> symbols, but it starts with an electrical impulse sent down nerves from a
> sensory organ.

I agree, the idea of a certain kind of physical molecule transducing a quale*
by virtue of the properties of that physical molecule* is super
problematic. Like, if redness were inherent to glutamate, what about all
the other colors?  And sounds? And smells?  And textures?  Just how many
molecules would we need to represent the vast pantheon of possible qualia?

> It's the same thing with pain.  If a certain gene is screwed up related to
> a subset of sodium channels (which are critical for proper transmission of
> signals propagating along certain nerves), a human being is incapable of
> feeling pain.   I'd argue they don't know what pain is, just like a
> congenital blind person doesn't know what red is.   It's the same thing
> with hearing and music.   If a brain is missing that initial sensory input,
> your consciousness does not have the ability to feel the related subjective
> sensation.

No problem there.

> And yes, I'm arguing that a true simulation (let's say for the sake of a
> thought experiment we were able to replicate every neural connection of a
> human being in code, including the connectomes, and neurotransmitters,
> along with a simulated nerve that was connected to a button on the desk we
> could press which would simulate the signal sent when a biological pain
> receptor is triggered) would feel pain that is just as real as the pain you
> and I feel as biological organisms.

This follows from the physicalist no-zombies-possible stance. But it still
runs into the hard problem, basically. How does stuff give rise to
experience.

> You asked me for the principle behind how a critter could start having a
> negative feeling that didn't exist in its progenitors.   Again, I believe
> the answer is as simple as it happened when pain receptors evolved that may
> have started as a random mutation where the behavior they induced in lower
> organisms resulted in increased survival.

Before you said that you don't believe redness is hiding in a molecule. But
here, you're saying pain is hiding in a pain receptor, which is nothing
more or less than a protein molecule.

>   I'm not claiming to have solved the hard problem of consciousness.   I
> don't claim to have the answer for why pain subjectively feels the way it
> does, or why pleasure does, but I do know that reward systems that evolved
> much earlier are involved (like dopamine based ones), and that pleasure can
> be directly triggered via various recreational drugs.   That doesn't mean I
> think the dopamine molecule is where the pleasure qualia is hiding.
>

> Even lower forms of life like bacteria move towards what their limited
> sensory systems tell them is a reward and away from what it tells them is a
> danger.   I believe our subjective experiences are layered onto these much
> earlier evolutionary artifacts, although as eukaryotes I am not claiming
> that much of this is inherited from LUCA.   I think it blossomed once
> predator/prey dynamics were possible in the Cambrian explosion and was
> built on from there over many many years.

Bacteria can move towards or away from certain stimuli, but it doesn't
follow that it feels pain or pleasure as it does so. That is using
functionalism to sweep the hard problem under the rug.

Terren