On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 12:09 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

*>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 12:27 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl
>> <smi...@zonnet.nl>> wrote:*
>

>> *There is no problem here because in practice MWI is nothing more than
>> the usual QM formalism to compute the outcome of experiments where you then
>> assume that the ensemble of all possible outcomes really exists. Locality
>> then follows from the fact hat the dynamics of the theory is manifestly
>> local. The Hamiltonian only includes local interactions and observers are
>> part of this dynamics. Although observer are not explicitly treated as
>> being part of the wavefunction that describes the entire system, the
>> assumption is that in principle, this is the case. In practice, one can
>> then proceed according to the usual QM formalism.*
>>

> *> That is all very well, but it is not a local account of violations of
> the Bell inequalities.*

*Well of course it isn't! Bell's Inequality has been experimentally shown
to be violated, so if there are hidden variables they can't be local. *

> * Bell'e theorem applies in Everettian quantum mechanics in exactly the
> same way as it applies in one-world accounts.*

*Bell's Inequality applies to everything, even if Quantum Mechanics were
someday proved to be wrong Bell's theorem would still be valid. Bell didn't
need Quantum Mechanics to derive his inequality, he just needed logic and
high school algebra.  So even if  someday something supplanted Quantum
Mechanics that new theory would still have to conform to the fact
that Bell's Inequality is violated.*

> * >Bell's theorem proves that the effect is non-local, so no local account
> is possible in any interpretation of QM.*

*Exactly. And "local" means there is a limit on how fast information can be
transmitted, and that limit is the speed of light. Many Worlds is
completely consistent with that, in it there is no way you can send a
signal faster than light. *

 > *The other sectors are not just FAPP unoservable, they are not
observable in principle.*

*Hugh Everett didn't wake up one morning and say to himself, gee it would
be cool if there were a lot of different universes, I think I'll invent a
theory that has an infinite number of them. Instead he asked himself what
would happen if he took Schrodinger's Equation seriously and assumed it
really meant what it said, and when he did that those other universes just
popped up. The only way to get rid of them is to change Schrodinger's
equation as GRW has done, or to do what Copenhagen has done and say that
for some vaguely defined reason a vaguely defined thing called an
"observer" doesn't need to obey Schrodinger's Equation.  Many Worlds is
just bare bones, no nonsense Quantum Mechanics with no silly bells and
whistles pasted on. The only assumption Many Worlds makes is that the
mathematics means what it says.*

*Many Worlds logically explains a lot of stuff that seems bizarre to us,
yes it makes some predictions that can't be proven but it is hardly alone
in that. For example: we can't see things further away than 13.8 billion
light years because there hasn't been enough time for light to reach us,
and it's near as we can tell on the largest scale space is flat, if there
is any curvature at all it must be less than 0.4% so you'd need to go over
200 times 13.8 billion light years to form an unbounded sphere; so do you
really believe that there is nothing beyond 13.8 billion light years? If
you do then you must also believe the Earth really is the center of the
universe and 13.8 billion light years away there is a wall with absolutely
positively NOTHING on the other side. Do you believe that? If not why not?*

*> How could the presence of unobservable fairy tales affect anything at
> all?*

*But those "unobservable fairy tales" ARE observable, they are even
observable by Bruce Kellett, they are just not observable by you, with
"you"  defined as the person I'm talking to at this instant.  *

*John K Clark    See what's on my new list at * *Extropolis*

bft