On 11/28/2023 4:28 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 5:00 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

            />>> I can arrange for any probability between zero and
            one of seeing a live cat. Whereas, if there is always a
            live cat branch and a dead cat branch, my probability of
            seeing a live cat is always 50%, contrary to the laws of
            radioactive decay./

        >> That would be true only if the cat had one and only one
        property, the alive/dead property. But, except for Black
        Holes, all macroscopic objects have an astronomical number of
        properties and most of them are not binary, however in the cat
        thought experiment you're only interested in one of them and
        it is binary, the alive/dead property. You're not interested
        in the precise position or momentum of a particular electron
        in the cat's left toenail. So there are an astronomical number
        of cats, and there are an astronomical number of Bruce
        Kelletts, and all of them are in very slightly different
        quantum states, but the astronomical number of Bruce Kelletts
        who observe a living cat when the box is opened is 9 times
        larger than the astronomical number Bruce Kelletts who observe
        a dead cat.  So before the box was opened all the Bruce
        Kelletts would expect to see a living cat, but 10% of them
        would be surprised.

    /> None of that is in the Schrodinger equation. The infinities are
    all of your own making,/

That is incorrect. Schrodinger's equation, the thing that generates the complex wave function, says nothing, absolutely nothing, about that wave function collapsing, So if you don't like philosophical paradoxes but still want to use Schrodinger's equation because it always gives correct results, you only have 2 options:

1) You can stick on bells and whistles to Schrodinger's equation to get rid of those other worlds that you find so annoying even though there's no experimental evidence that they are needed.
You can do exactly the same thing the MWI fans do and apply the Born rule to predict the probability of your world. That's MWI fan's bells and whistles which they keep trying to deny.

Brent

2) You can use bafflegab, as Niels Bohr did, to conceal the fact that the universe is odd, very very odd.

I don't like the first option because I do like William of Ockham. And I don't like the second option because I do like clarity. Maybe tomorrow something better will pop up but as of today the only quantum interpretation that doesn't use either of the above two options is Many Worlds.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
qqb

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1oNwtEBomszARqEMYXUdo2-0zLi9cTeeYC%2B8JGJ4SwHw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1oNwtEBomszARqEMYXUdo2-0zLi9cTeeYC%2B8JGJ4SwHw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.