On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 10:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 at 12:34, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> you will see in a Universe where all outcomes occur.
>>>

>> You are still conflating incompatible theories. The Born rule is a rule
>> for calculating probabilities from the wave function -- it says nothing
>> about worlds or existence. MWI is a theory about the existence of many
>> worlds. These theories are incompatible, and should not be conflated.
>>

> “The Born rule is a rule for calculating probabilities from the wave
> function -- it says nothing about worlds or existence”  -and- “MWI is a
> theory about the existence of many worlds” are not incompatible statements.

Perhaps that is the wrong way to look at it. The linearity of the
Schrodinger equation implies that the individuals on all branches are the
same: there is nothing to distinguish one of them as "you" and the others
as mere shadows or zombies. In other words, they are all "you". So you are
the person on the branch with all spins up and your probability of seeing
this result is one, since this branch certainly exists, and, by linearity,
"you" are the individual on that branch. This is inconsistent with the
claim that the Born rule gives the probability that "you" will see some
particular result. As we have seen, the probability that "you" will see all
ups in one, whereas the Born probability for this result is 1/2^N. These
probability estimates are incompatible.

Bruce